Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • moob
    • 17th Aug 08, 6:01 PM
    • 17th Aug 08, 6:01 PM
    I've heard of these replacement ceilings for kitchen and bathroom. My Kitchen has the most horrendous pine tongue and groove orange 1970's ceiling and I'm wondering if this might be the best alternative/
    Anyone have any experience?
    Originally posted by nodwah
    They are quite expensive and you can't flush mount halogen lighting on it as it will burn.

Why don't you take down the t&g panels and put up a plasterboard ceiling?
    • loracan1
    • By loracan1 17th Aug 08, 7:17 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 2,443 Thanks
    loracan1
    • 17th Aug 08, 7:17 PM
    • 17th Aug 08, 7:17 PM
    You could just paint it - mine too was that bright orange 70s pine, I rubbed it down a bit and just emulsioned it, looks fine.
  • nodwah
    • 17th Aug 08, 8:14 PM
    • 17th Aug 08, 8:14 PM
    oh no it has to go, it's all bowed and split from bath overflows by previous owners!
    I was told that it was ideal for spotlights to go in so that's funny.
    Thanks, I thought it was an easier option than plaster board but obviously not!
    Just call me Nodwah the thread killer
    • 3onitsway
    • By 3onitsway 17th Aug 08, 8:19 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 20,449 Thanks
    3onitsway
    • 17th Aug 08, 8:19 PM
    • 17th Aug 08, 8:19 PM
    oh no it has to go, it's all bowed and split from bath overflows by previous owners!
    Ive got two friends who've recently had kitchens and bathrooms fitted, both with these new plastic ceilings with sunken spot lights - they look really good and a nice and easy to clean.

I think they were fitted by the kitchen company - i'll ask them who and post again.
    • By 03022242 17th Aug 08, 9:57 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    • 17th Aug 08, 9:57 PM
    • 17th Aug 08, 9:57 PM
    ive got upvc cladding on my bathroom ceiling, best thing i ever did, its been maintainance free for the last 5 years!
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • nodwah
    • 18th Aug 08, 12:02 AM
    • 18th Aug 08, 12:02 AM
    2 for 1 against, any more?

i'm terrrible at making descisions btw
    • matbe
    • By matbe 18th Aug 08, 12:25 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    matbe
    • 18th Aug 08, 12:25 AM
    • 18th Aug 08, 12:25 AM
    not sure if you can put spotlights on these plastic ceilings or not if in doubt contact manufacturer they will give you all info you need

have seen them fitted and they look good
    • andrew-b
    • By andrew-b 18th Aug 08, 9:12 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    andrew-b
    • 18th Aug 08, 9:12 AM
    • 18th Aug 08, 9:12 AM
    I'll even things out then!

Ideally i would avoid having any ceiling voids as you can get condensation probs. I had been thinking about plastic cladding myself for our bathroom ceiling..until i was advised otherwise.

I would either tart up the existing pine cladding or tear it down and get it plastered. Per square metre the cost of a plasterer will be cheaper.

Andy
  • liames
    I have had plastic ceiling in the bathroom for 3 years. It's great but I have a fan on the wall for the steam after having showers and baths. I have not got spotlights on the ceiling.
  • moob
    I got the info from the instruction leaflet on the panels they sell in B&Q - other manufacturers may be different regards the halogen lights.

They are expensive though, these panels, and board would be much cheaper - just make sure you use the proper paint for it.
  • OK Sauce
    I have plastic cladding with low voltage down lighters in my downstairs loo for at least 5 years with no problems.

Andrew B - My bathroom, with a shower, has also had a plastic ceiling for at least three years and I've never had any condensation problems.
    "...IT'S FRUITY!"
    • rizla01
    • By rizla01 19th Aug 08, 12:07 AM
    • 6,717 Posts
    • 7,431 Thanks
    rizla01
    Wickes do 4" cladding complete with all of the rails and connectors for fixing and is NOT that expensive.

You need a lightweight wooden frame structure to fix to and you CAN fit halogens without worry. The void would be better ventilated if at all possible.

I find the best way of fixing the plastic to the framework is with a staple gun. Very discreet way of fixing but plan it well. The last peice is a bvgger!!
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

• Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 19th Aug 08, 12:25 AM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    I can heartily sympathise with you as we had this in a room in our previous home, it was horrible, like yours it split and bowed and as someone has said earlier i would avoid any voids due to condensation. We had it ripped out and plasterboarded and it was the best thing we did.
    You can then have an inexpensive striplight if you want one ( can only be mounted on certain surfaces) and save on the leccy too.
    I would imagine that if you had condensation behind a plastic ceiling the problem would eventually show itself elsewhere when some damage had been done.
    Some things are best done in less modern types of materials IMO
    When we get round to it we will be doing our kitchen ceiling in this house which has the same type of ceiling but it has been painted, this one will be plasterboarded too once it is pulled down. I can`t believe we have had two houses with this awful stuff in
    HTH
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • jackieb
    • By jackieb 28th Aug 08, 1:27 AM
    • 26,922 Posts
    • 78,557 Thanks
    jackieb
    We've just plasterboarded over the pine cladding in our kitchen. Dh nailed the cladding up before my FIL added the plasterboard. We're just waiting for the plasterer to come in and finish it off. We were wondering whether to remove the cladding on the roof first but decided against it, as we had unforeseen work to be done (walls had to be taken right back as it had been tiled to the ceiling). We had loads of pine cladding. It was all over the walls and it made a mess when it came off, and there were holes in the wall behind it, so we plasterboarded over that as well. I've got a kitchen coming next week and the plasterer had a 3 month waiting list for big jobs. Taping he can manage between jobs, but plastering he can't, so not much choice other than to plasterboard so much.

Last edited by jackieb; 28-08-2008 at 1:42 AM.
  • nodwah
    Thanks jackieb, that's exactly what my ceiling looks like.Yours is such an improvement!
    • rizla01
    • By rizla01 28th Aug 08, 6:41 PM
    • 6,717 Posts
    • 7,431 Thanks
    rizla01
    Incredible Jackie. Same as mine was too. Walls & Celings.

I built a shed out of my pine. Looks pretty good too.

Actually removed the last bit of pine today. Celing was the first to remove. Neighbour kept his and painted it white.Yuk!

Just waiting to box in some beams and then will get plasterer in.
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

• jackieb
    • By jackieb 28th Aug 08, 9:50 PM
    • 26,922 Posts
    • 78,557 Thanks
    jackieb
    We've had the plasterer in today, and he's coming back tomorrow. It's so much lighter now.
  • pandas66
    Hi, I have 2 plastic ceilings, bathroom and kitchen.

this is the company I used

www.pvc-cladding.com

and mention mse if you like as I know it might get a little extra discount.
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,054Posts Today

6,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right folks im signing off for the weekend (well until my Sunday road show in Leeds). Have a good one!

• Final results of my tory leadership candidates twitter poll. Huge win for Theresa May, Andrea Leadsom distant 2nd https://t.co/jJxozPYFhi

• Ta for the regular stream of similar tweets. But, again, Id rather wire my nipples to electrodes & not in a good way https://t.co/npo6dvsLjG

• Follow Martin