IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How Many Isa's Can One Person Have
Closed Thread
Views: 51,780
# 1
jbherts
Old 16-08-2008, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How Many Isa's Can One Person Have

I'm very confused at the number of ISA's one person can have, i thought it was just one putting in up to the maximum allowance each year, but my in laws inform me they have two each, two with 3000 and two with 3600, all with barclays! surely they should only have one each with 6600 then add up to the max in next year, i would be gratefull if someone could help as they are both in their 80's and i dont want them to start worrying, many thanks
# 2
talana
Old 16-08-2008, 5:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Each person is allowed one cash ISA per year.

You have the choice to open a new one each tax year, or keep many years worth of contributions all in the same ISA (or some option in the middle of the two)
# 3
Milarky
Old 16-08-2008, 5:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by talana View Post
Each person is allowed one cash ISA per year.

You have the choice to open a new one each tax year, or keep many years worth of contributions all in the same ISA (or some option in the middle of the two)
Going the other way, after the current year has passed, there is then no limit to the number of ISAs one may apply to open since transferred funds from past years can be split (only this year's may may not be split up until 6th April) This can be handy for carpetbagging accounts with £100 with building societies that otherwise offer very poor standard accounts...
.....under construction....
# 4
jem16
Old 16-08-2008, 5:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbherts View Post
I'm very confused at the number of ISA's one person can have, i thought it was just one putting in up to the maximum allowance each year, but my in laws inform me they have two each, two with 3000 and two with 3600,
With those amounts it sounds like they have an ISA each for this tax year (08/09) containing 3,600 and an ISA each for last tax year (07/08) containing 3,000. This is perfectly possible.

Quote:
all with barclays! surely they should only have one each with 6600 then add up to the max in next year,
Normally if it's with the same provider you would expect them just to add to it each year. Perhaps they have that and your in laws think they don't. Or perhaps they have simply opened another one?

Quote:
i would be gratefull if someone could help as they are both in their 80's and i dont want them to start worrying, many thanks
If they are for separate tax years it's not a problem.
# 5
Crinz
Old 19-08-2008, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

im assuming they had last years 3k fixed for a term so couldnt add to it this year. As a result they had to open a new ISA to fund for this year.
I am a Mortgage Adviser
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
# 6
truescot
Old 19-08-2008, 10:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So the fact that I have an ISA which I opened about 6 years ago which has about £60 in it(!!) means I can't open another one till next year? As I have contributed to it this year.

I am currently sorting my finances out which have been woeful, but I am now debt free and ready to start saving. Will I have to wait till next year to open another ISA. My current one is with BoS with a rate of 3.06%. Shocking!!

Wait till April, check MSE for the best rate, deposit my allowance and repeat year after year?
# 7
chewmylegoff
Old 19-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milarky View Post
Going the other way, after the current year has passed, there is then no limit to the number of ISAs one may apply to open since transferred funds from past years can be split (only this year's may may not be split up until 6th April) This can be handy for carpetbagging accounts with 100 with building societies that otherwise offer very poor standard accounts...
i thought the one new cash isa per year rule still applied to transfers i.e. if i have 10k in ISA 1, then i open ISA2 for this tax year and put 3.6k in, I cannot in the same year open ISA 3 and transfer the 10k from ISA1 to a new ISA 4, I could only transfer it to ISA 2.

is this not the case?
# 8
boobbby
Old 19-08-2008, 11:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewmylegoff View Post
i thought the one new cash isa per year rule still applied to transfers i.e. if i have 10k in ISA 1, then i open ISA2 for this tax year and put 3.6k in, I cannot in the same year open ISA 3 and transfer the 10k from ISA1 to a new ISA 4, I could only transfer it to ISA 2.

is this not the case?
You can transfer any cash ISA to a new provider that accepts existing ISA's (not all do) you can even transfer the ISA2. What you can't do is put anymore money into a cash ISA this tax year !!
# 9
Chrissybh0y
Old 19-08-2008, 11:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I recently joined RBS and they opened up 2 ISA's for me one was a omline/telephone one and the other was the standrad one the government has given every person , i can stick 3600 a year i think in both, with no penaltys for takin any money out, dunno if that helps or anything lol
Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
# 10
ad44downey
Old 19-08-2008, 11:43 PM

you can have as many as you want. just as long as the inland revenue don't find out
The Following User Says Thank You to ad44downey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Chrissybh0y
Old 19-08-2008, 11:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad44downey View Post
you can have as many as you want. just as long as the inland revenue don't find out
If the inland revenue find out then what happens?

and if there is a problem with having more then one then why do we get offered a few ?
# 12
chewmylegoff
Old 19-08-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissybh0y View Post

and if there is a problem with having more then one then why do we get offered a few ?
if the inland revenue finds out and decides that you are evading tax on purpose then i expect you'll have to pay the tax you would've done if the extra ISA account wasn't an ISA, plus a fine of up to 100% (i think) of the tax you evaded. technically you can get a prison sentence for tax evasion but in practice opening an extra ISA probably isn't deemed an offence worthy of a prison sentence because the amount of tax evaded would be too small.

when you open an ISA you have to provide your national insurance number, the bank then has to inform the inland revenue that you have opened the account, so theoretically the revenue should have all this data in a database and should be able to spot duplicate ISAs associated with the same NI number pretty quickly, although the reality is they probably put all the data on a CD and then lose it in their internal post .

Last edited by chewmylegoff; 20-08-2008 at 12:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chewmylegoff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ad44downey
Old 20-08-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:

they lock you up and throw away the key. the bounders.
The Following User Says Thank You to ad44downey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Chrissybh0y
Old 20-08-2008, 10:35 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ok so i got my 2 ISA forms through today from RBS , one is for this telephone/internet banking ISA and the other is a Cash ISA, i only wanna have the one cause i dont want locked up in the bounders lol whats the best one to keep?
# 15
baby_boomer
Old 20-08-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad44downey View Post
In fact, you really can have as many as you want .

After the end of a tax year, Past ISAs can be split into as many sub-ISAs as you want with differing institutions according to the Inland Revenue's own rules.

You are just limited to one mini-Cash ISA in the current tax year, and you can't add money, except interest earned, to these past ISAs.

Last edited by baby_boomer; 20-08-2008 at 10:41 AM.
# 16
Chrissybh0y
Old 20-08-2008, 10:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I dont even no what the means lol so baby boomer do u think im better with the one or both, i just want sumthing to put my tax credits into so i can pay an over draft or credit card off
# 17
Oblivion
Old 20-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Ok so i got my 2 ISA forms through today from RBS , one is for this telephone/internet banking ISA and the other is a Cash ISA, i only wanna have the one cause i dont want locked up in the bounders lol whats the best one to keep?
Are you sure the one you describe as "telephone/internet banking ISA" isn't an application for a Stocks & Shares ISA? Everyone is entitled to subscribe to both a Cash ISA and a Stocks & Shares ISA in the same tax year.

Dave.
... Dave
Happily retired and enjoying my 8th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
# 18
Chrissybh0y
Old 20-08-2008, 11:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It is called " TELEPHONE SAVER account with RBA "
# 19
cheerfulcat
Old 20-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Chrissybh0y, that's not an ISA, it's just an ordinary savings account. A pretty lousy one at that.

Link.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheerfulcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Chrissybh0y
Old 20-08-2008, 11:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcat View Post
Chrissybh0y, that's not an ISA, it's just an ordinary savings account. A pretty lousy one at that.

Link.

Thanx for the link i wasnt told much about it when i was on the phone to them last week when they offered me it, so id better just stick with the ISA the offered me?
Closed Thread