Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > London Congestion Charge exemption for disabled p... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
London Congestion Charge exemption for disabled people
Closed Thread
Views: 2,767
# 1
easy
Old 13-08-2008, 5:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default London Congestion Charge exemption for disabled people

As I am disabled, a blue badge holder, I applied for exemption 2 weeks ago, we go to london beginning of next week.

Anyway, rang today to find out why I hadn't received any reply. Apparently they didn't like my photocopy of the blue badge, and it has taken them 10 working days to let me know (letter went out today).

However, apparently, my vehicle is already on an exemptions list, as I get through the motability scheme.

Now I haven't seen anything in any paperwork, from either transport for london nor from Motability that says this is the case. If it is, then I've just wasted £10 on an application I don't need to make.

Anyone else know this?
# 2
kentyy
Old 15-08-2008, 3:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That's odd.
I've paid up for the past few years to the congestion charge scheme(the one off payment) and have my mobility car. I wasn't on the scheme automatically before I applied, and also renewed (and paid) again this year.
# 3
bigturnip
Old 19-08-2008, 9:40 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you car tax is classed as disabled then you receive automatic exemption and don't need to register (I believe this is the case with all motability cars now), however registering does give you a few extra benefits like being able to switch exemption to another car for the day, but it's only worth registering if you are going to make use of the extra benefits.
I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
# 4
shykins
Old 19-08-2008, 9:43 AM

what if my car is registered disabled but is not thru the motability scheme am i automtically exempt or do i have to register?
When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
# 5
flang
Old 19-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Why on earth do disabled people get the congestion charge for free?
I was under the impression that most buses now days have disabled access.

I have nothing against genuine disabled people however there are too many people with blue badges that are more able and financially better off than myself!
The Following User Says Thank You to flang For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
kentyy
Old 19-08-2008, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flang View Post

I have nothing against genuine disabled people however there are too many people with blue badges that are more able and financially better off than myself!
You question to why do disabled get congestion charge for free...... I am unable to work and so am on benefits and would not be able to afford the travel from the corner of kent to london twice a week for treatment on public transport plus there is no bus that gets me there in time and some train stations are not as well equipped with dealing with wheelchair users as you may think. Treatments can last approx 3months in a row or so, which would add up to a huge bill that i could not afford. I have got a mobility car to get me from my home to hospital and back and to get me places that i could not otherwise get to.

I find it surprising that you don't understand that with some disabilities, it is extremely difficult and sometimes nearly impossible to use public transport.
Having a mobility car and not having to pay the congestion charge helps me to get treatment.. does it mean that you dont agree that i should not get treatment and stay home and suffer instead? (i should hope this is not the case). I see you said you dont mean this for genuine cases, but us genuine cases don't like being clumped into a general group of people trying to get somethng for nothing.

Maybe just a little thought should be given before just assuming disabled people are on the fiddle and trying to get things for no reason.

Sorry rant over!
The Following User Says Thank You to kentyy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
flang
Old 19-08-2008, 3:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentyy View Post
You question to why do disabled get congestion charge for free...... I am unable to work and so am on benefits and would not be able to afford the travel from the corner of kent to london twice a week for treatment on public transport plus there is no bus that gets me there in time and some train stations are not as well equipped with dealing with wheelchair users as you may think. Treatments can last approx 3months in a row or so, which would add up to a huge bill that i could not afford. I have got a mobility car to get me from my home to hospital and back and to get me places that i could not otherwise get to.

I find it surprising that you don't understand that with some disabilities, it is extremely difficult and sometimes nearly impossible to use public transport.
Having a mobility car and not having to pay the congestion charge helps me to get treatment.. does it mean that you dont agree that i should not get treatment and stay home and suffer instead? (i should hope this is not the case). I see you said you dont mean this for genuine cases, but us genuine cases don't like being clumped into a general group of people trying to get somethng for nothing.

Maybe just a little thought should be given before just assuming disabled people are on the fiddle and trying to get things for no reason.

Sorry rant over!
Fair comment however I find it hard to believe you canít afford transport in London as a lot of the time itís a lot cheaper than driving!
I do however understand it can be hard getting on and off public transport.

Whilst I appreciate that some people like yourself canít work and do require regular hospital treatment there are too many able people taking advantage of the system.

A similar post was posted regarding tickets in great Yarmouth.
Coner has an intresting post.....Click here
# 8
Biggles
Old 19-08-2008, 8:31 PM

It's nothing to do with getting the car through Motability, it depends on whether your car is Vehicle Excise Duty Exempt (most Motability cars will be but so will many others). If so, you don't need any other exemption, as your car will be recognised as being exempt when they compare their records with DVLA.

Transport for London's site was appalling in this respect, in that it didn't mention this exemption, and guided you into paying £10 for the Blue Badge exemption. I complained when I discovered the VED exemption and got a refund of my £10.

Now, the website is slightly better, in that there is a mention on the 'Discounts and Exemptions' page of the VED exemption.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
bigturnip
Old 20-08-2008, 1:32 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Fair comment however I find it hard to believe you canít afford transport in London as a lot of the time itís a lot cheaper than driving!
I do however understand it can be hard getting on and off public transport.

Whilst I appreciate that some people like yourself canít work and do require regular hospital treatment there are too many able people taking advantage of the system.

A similar post was posted regarding tickets in great Yarmouth.
Coner has an intresting post.....Click here
While most people agree there are too many people taking advantage of the system, this doesn't mean the system is wrong. The post you refer to is a load of rubbish anyway, if the first sentence were true nobody over 65 could apply for a blue badge and I reckon at least 90% of blue badges are held by the over 65's. Even if the £24,000 figure is right, which I don't believe for one minute, why shouldn't genuinely disabled people receive that level of income? It's only an average income and there are often many added expenses with being disabled, so disabled people would still be financially worse off than the average worker.

It's very well if you live in London being able to get around on disabled friendly public transport, but if you live outside London there is no such thing and I even dispute it's existence in London. Only buses are accessible and that's only if the driver stops, because they will often drive past people in wheelchairs because of the hassle of getting them on board. Once on board an argument with a number of mother's is normally required to get them to remove their pushchairs from the wheelchair spot.
I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
The Following User Says Thank You to bigturnip For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Biggles
Old 20-08-2008, 7:48 AM

Quote:
So, to visit our daughter in London, we should drive 100 miles. Then pay to park the car somewhere outside the zone AND within walking distance (for a disabled person, not far) of the correct bus route? Hmm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
LinasPilibaitisisbatman
Old 21-08-2008, 9:24 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
So, to visit our daughter in London, we should drive 100 miles. Then pay to park the car somewhere outside the zone AND within walking distance (for a disabled person, not far) of the correct bus route? Hmm.

I think the argument is that the person will be on DLA and most likely other benefits and therefore is as capable if not more than many other people to pay the congestion for a choice they have made

If they dont like it, go to the inconvenience of public transport

Basically the same decision everyone else makes and pays

This country is far too accomodating to disabled folk, many of whom are complete chancers or work shy scum
# 12
bigturnip
Old 21-08-2008, 9:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinasPilibaitisisbatman View Post
I think the argument is that the person will be on DLA and most likely other benefits and therefore is as capable if not more than many other people to pay the congestion for a choice they have made
What choice would that be? The choice to be disabled or the choice to attend hospital appointments in Central London?

Quote:
If they dont like it, go to the inconvenience of public transport.
What public transport? You can't get a wheelchair on the tube or trains, so that leaves buses, buses have one wheelchair seat, so if it's full you have to wait until a bus comes along with one free. Besides, a lot of bus drivers won't stop to let wheelchairs on because it might make them late. Even if by some miracle you get onto a bus the wheel chair seat is 9 times out of 10 full of prams, buggies or luggage, you then need to argue with half the people on the bus because they refuse to move there stuff. I suppose you could pay for all disabled people to go everywhere by taxi, but because of new regulations that that idiot Ken Livingstone bought in less disabled taxis are being built now than at any time in the last 10 years.

Quote:
That's all disabled people want, the same rights and choices as any other person, but we are a long long way from this becoming reality.

Quote:
This country is far too accomodating to disabled folk, many of whom are complete chancers or work shy scum
That is a very sad point of view to take. I don't deny that there are some people that abuse the system, but does that mean that the system shouldn't be there for those who genuinely depend upon it? It is also very hard to fake physical disabilities to the point where you are entitled to many of these concessions. And trust me this country is far too unaccommodating of 'disabled folk' and by the sounds of it you are at the head of the queue. Why do you associate being disabled with being work shy? many disabled people work just like 'normal folk'.
# 13
martinbuckley
Old 21-08-2008, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm all in favour of disabled people being treated equally to able-bodied people, and to that end, if they can afford to run a car, they should pay for parking and congestion charges.

What next - free petrol for Blue Badge holders?
# 14
bigturnip
Old 21-08-2008, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So what you're saying is we should means test everyone who is disabled, those who can afford to pay should pay all the extra costs that are associated with having a disability and those that can't afford it should get everything free.

How is that equality?

I'm not saying disabled people should be handed everything on a plate, but they shouldn't be out of pocket because of their disability. If their disability prevents them from working they should still be entitled to a decent standard of living, if they have problems with mobility they should be helped to become mobile, if they need care they should be cared for. I don't think it's too much to ask for in a civilised society, but unfortunately we are a long way from coming close to offering disabled people the help and support they need to become equal members of society in this country.

Regarding free petrol for disabled people, why not for essential trips such as frequent hospital visits? People on low incomes get reimbursed for travelling to routine hospital appointments, maybe once a year, disabled people don't get reimbursed for travelling to hospital appointments, even if they have to go every day.
# 15
Daytona_nev
Old 22-08-2008, 7:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

If they dont like it, go to the inconvenience of public transport

LinasPilibaitisisbatman, you really are pondlife!

And you have the audacity to call other people bigots.
# 16
pianeet
Old 22-08-2008, 10:02 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

i think the problem here lies with generalisation of peoples disabilities,i no two extremely disabled people who run there own business's and work extremely long hours,i also know a lot more people who are quite able bodied but know how to play the system,(i know this is not a discussion on blue badges)
but i believe in karma if you want to use a fake blue badge to deny genuine disabled people a parking place,as they say what goes around comes around.
# 17
easy
Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Blimey, this went a bit berserk, didn't it?

For what it's worth, Although I am disabled I have worked all my life, except for a 2 gaps, when I had my son (contributing to the future population), and when my hip replacement went wrong, putting me in a wheelchair for a year, during which time I was unable to claim any benefits.

In my long career I have contributed a considerable amount to the coffers of this country (and continue to do so), paying my income tax and NI, plus, as I run a business, paying employer's NI too. I also collect tax for the government, as a VAT registered company.

If I used public transport,I would become extremely tired, unable to work effectively. It certainly wouldn't be safe for me to try to manage my young son on busses and trains.

I don't know if it is right for me to be excempt from the congestion charge or not. But while the entitlement is there, I'll claim it - anyone on this site would, surely?

Oh, and I'm very pleased to say that TFL returned my £10 cheque
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
BillTrac
Old 04-09-2008, 9:52 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

LinasPilibaitisisbatman, yep you are a total idiot.

My wife is registered disabled and has a blue badge. I have to drive her to the hospital 15 miles away three times a week, every week, for treatment. We have to pay to park there, and we don't claim any fuel allowance which apparently we can. When we go to London we pay the congestion charge etc.

What she won't do is use a disabled space if she is having one of her rare good days(ie she can walk a few hundred yards with support), because she says someone who really needs it can use it. But she will use one if she doesn't feel well etc, which of course she is entitled to.

What she doesn't want is some idiot with attitude saying she is a chancer or workshy scum.

I wouldn't want to wish her life on anyone but you really ought to think at least twice before posting such utter garbage. Karma will bite you in the end.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillTrac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
easy
Old 04-09-2008, 10:22 AM

Bill, I guess Lina is lucky, in that she/he has no experience of real disability in her/his own family.

It's easy to make unpleasant, judgemental comments when you don't have a clue what you are actually talking about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
bigturnip
Old 05-09-2008, 3:25 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Unfortunately from reading these and other forums there seems to be an alarming number of people like Linas who seem to think disability doesn't exist or that everyone is out to try and fleece the state. I sincerely hope that they don't need this help one day as they will soon see it is the state who are fleecing disabled people.

Bill, help towards travel costs for Hospital appointments is only available if you are on income support, it's not linked to your disability, so much for an NHS free at the point of use.
Closed Thread