Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 19th Nov 04, 1:38 PM
    • 8,371Posts
    • 20,461Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Reclaim lost assets for free discussion
    • 19th Nov 04, 1:38 PM
    Reclaim lost assets for free discussion 19th Nov 04 at 1:38 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Reclaim Lost Assets For Free guide.

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 03-01-2014 at 9:09 PM.
Page 6
    • -taff
    • By -taff 7th Aug 13, 6:39 PM
    • 7,252 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    -taff
    The Ombudsman is unlikely to find they owe you more money. They rectified their mistake as soon as they could, and uphled your complaint. It's not their fault you promised money to people before the money was actually in your hands.
  • Gud83
    Money Owed from Life Assurance?
    About 10 years ago I bought a flat with a mortgage through what was then the Abbey National. Along with the mortgage I was paying £9 a month for life assurance.

I sold the flat a few months later but continued to pay the life assurance - it came out as a direct debit and I hardly noticed it going. This continued until I closed my account a couple of years later.

A while after, I contacted the Abbey to ask if I could reclaim the money I had paid in; they told me it was possible but I had missed the deadline by about a fortnight. At the time I accepted that as bad luck, but now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the money back after all? The problem is that I don't think I have any paperwork relating to that account.

Any help would be gratefully received.
  • lilyjay76
    hiya just browsing the site and saw this thread. i remembered that in the first year of high school i opened an savings account with yorkshire bank . i cant remember how much was in it but somewhere about £5 mark .last activity in 1988 will my money still be there and will it have paid any interest ?
    Last edited by lilyjay76; 09-09-2013 at 1:06 AM.
    • purple-eyez
    • By purple-eyez 5th Jan 14, 4:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    purple-eyez
    Penny Policy?
    Does anyone know about the old penny policy? My Mum said her Mum took one out for her but she only mentioned it recently... would this still be active? where does she start investigating?
  • costello333
    Lots of Resources
    So much money becomes unclaimed. It is incredible. My Aunt Carol recently got back about $17,000 from an old account in her dead husbands estate. It was a real windfall as she needed to fix her roof and the money sure came in handy. Turns out there are a whole bunch of people who tried to charge her a fee to recover the dormant account. One outfit tried to charge her 33%. She almost signed with them as she really does not think these things out. Eventually her Johnny - oops - her nephew - helped by searching things on the internet. Altough he did was not able to locate the property he did find another company that advertises to find unclaimed property for a smaller fee than other companies charge. I think the name of the place was find unclaimed accounts or find dormant accounts. Some such thing.
    • theluckofthedraw
    • By theluckofthedraw 10th Jun 14, 4:50 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    theluckofthedraw
    prudential childrens policies
    Hi,

In 1988/89 we took out a policy for our newborn daughter with the Pru man (doorstep service then) - I think we took out one for our son in 1992 also.

After a couple of moves and a recent success with a pension find for my husband, this has inspired me to try and trace down these policies.

Does anyone know what these name/type of policies they were known as? I remember the discussion at the time about maturing when they were 18 or 21 years old , but have lost all track?

thanks in advance
    • fryster2006
    • By fryster2006 13th Jun 14, 3:58 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    fryster2006
    Don't know where to start with this, so hoping for some advice. When I was a child, every year me and my sister used to receive a letter through the post once a year. I believe it was a children's bonus bond, but can't be sure. It was a statement of how much my Mum and Dad had paid in and the 'interest' accrued.I also remember that it was payable when we reached 16, and me and my sister both used to plan what we would buy with it! The account would have been opened around early 1982 when my sister was born, and I always remember that she had more in hers than mine. I'm guessing that was because hers would have run for 2 years more then mine. Anyway, when I turned 16 my Dad and partner made me sign something. I knew that it wasn't in my interest to sign this, and asked to read it properly. They refused to let me and being a child I did as I was told. Shortly after I left home and went to live with my Mum, have never spoken properly to my Dad since. My sister soon followed suit, but she was only 14 at the time and wouldn't have signed anything. So her money is either sat dormant, or possibly has been fraudulently transferred somewhere. My Mum can't remember who administered the scheme, all she can remember is that it was linked to life insurance of some sort and that she and my dad had cashed their life insurance in due to cash flow problems but mine and my sister's had carried on. To further complicate matters my Dad now lives in Cyprus. When I questioned him about this he has denied any knowledge of any savings etc. Where do I start? Many Thanks, hope this makes some sense!
  • lsparky88
    old bank account
    Hi im not sure if this is the right place but im a bit lost and could do with some help.
    My auntie opened a childs saver account for me when I was born and although it was never touched or added too I always had the cash book. Now that I have moved I can't remember where ive put it!
    Before I moved I went to the bank with the cash book to withdraw the funds and close the account as I was pregnant I thought the money would help at a tough time. The bank said I couldn't do anything eventhough my name is on the account, my auntie opened it so she would have to do it all! I rarely see my auntie so this was a hard thing to sort out. I am above the age (wayyy above) for the account and I believe the withdrawal age was 18 so why could I not access it? I had proof of id etc.
    I tried the link on here too through the BBA but again they have emailed saying there is no account in my name! Should I try my aunties name?
    Could someone shed some light on this please?

Thank you
  • mudpuffin
    Query re: Old Insurance policies on a deceased persons account.
    sadly my father has just died and I have found a number of Prudential and Life Assurance policies which are in his name, my deceased mothers and my name. Prudential state that they have a record of the policies but they have no value. Checking through the books it appears that they are not claimed on and I clearly remember as a child the 'man from the pru' knocking monthly to collect the payment. if money has been paid in surely there should be some to come back, even if they are quite old? How should I proceed?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 20th Oct 14, 1:14 PM
    • 19,031 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Prudential state that they have a record of the policies but they have no value.
    Originally posted by mudpuffin
    Surely the insurance company will have explained why they have no value? Are they lapsed policies which your parents failed to keep paying?

if money has been paid in surely there should be some to come back, even if they are quite old?
    Not necessarily.
    How should I proceed?
    Well, if it has not been explained already, you can ask Prudential to clarify exactly why the policies are no longer valid.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 20th Oct 14, 2:10 PM
    • 88,772 Posts
    • 54,108 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Query re: Old Insurance policies on a deceased persons account.
    sadly my father has just died and I have found a number of Prudential and Life Assurance policies which are in his name, my deceased mothers and my name. Prudential state that they have a record of the policies but they have no value. Checking through the books it appears that they are not claimed on and I clearly remember as a child the 'man from the pru' knocking monthly to collect the payment. if money has been paid in surely there should be some to come back, even if they are quite old? How should I proceed?
    Pru keep records on plans that have a value but plans that lapse (premiums cease being paid and the life assurance stops) or plans that are surrendered (money withdrawn) or are claimed out (due to an earlier death on a joint policy for example) will only have records retrained for a limited period thereafter. Typically no less than 6 years but increasingly archived after that.

What books are you referring to?

Pru ceased premium collections nearly 15 years ago. People were given the choice to move to direct debit/standing order. Although a number ceased their policies and moved to alternatives or just didnt bother any more.

You are assuming the policy had a value. However, if it was a pure life assurance policy, it would have no value until death and only if premiums were continued. What type of policy was it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • anna1976
    • By anna1976 13th Jan 15, 10:16 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    anna1976
    Are these units worth anything?
    I have just found a certificate in my name issued by National Westminster Portfolio Investment fund dated 31 December 1979. The trustee is Royal Exchange Assurance and the managers are National Westminster Unit Trust Managers Ltd. Do the units have any value? Whom should I contact regarding them? All help appreciated greatly.
  • SGlascott
    Old Pearl Insurance Policies
    Hi everyone

hope someone can point me in the right direction here

My parents are in their 80's and have asked me to go through life insurance and funeral plans for them.

I found 2 policies starting in 2000 for a company called phoenix, which i gather is the old pearl insurance

I called them and got a figure that my parents are happy with to cash in

Now

After looking through all their other documents I have found another 6 policies dating from the early 1980's that look like they stopped in the late 1990's and then new policies were taken out in 2000

Can we cash these in? and if so will phoenix have the information for these

They were paid by the doorstep insurance men, every week since 1982

We also have some AMP savings account statements, that we have no clue what they are and are coming in around £5000, we don't know if they are linked to the insurance taken in 2000 or they are different accounts with someone else

Hope someone can give me some advice on where to go from here
    and of there is any lost assets here

I have looked at the lost asset register but I am hoping I can find the correct information before paying out a fee

Thank you
    • dunmoanin
    • By dunmoanin 18th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dunmoanin
    Greetings! I've just received a letter from Barnett Waddingham, LLP, an independent provider of actuarial, administration and consultancy service. They refer to another well known company whose group pension fund is now being handled by Barnett Waddingham. Having traced me to my current address, Barnett Waddingham are asking me to confirm my address, Email, NI number and date of birth, along with my signature in order to update my record. Is this something I should be cautious about or is it normal practice for a company of this nature to seek that information? I hasten to add the pension in question is absolutely tiny - maybe just a hundred or so pounds lump sum due to such a brief period of membership back in the 70's. I had forgotten all about it. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by dunmoanin; 18-07-2015 at 5:13 PM.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 11th Sep 15, 2:45 PM
    • 67,660 Posts
    • 124,659 Thanks
    torbrex
    I took MSE advice and filled in the online form to search for lost accounts.
    I have now started to receive replys back from the institutions that I named as possibly holding lost accounts of mine.

No real surprises up until today when I got a letter from the Nationwide saying that they have not been able to trace any details of accounts held with them using the information kindly provided.
    This I find very surprising as I hold an active but not recently used Regular Saver account with them which I expected would be listed as a result of their search, if the search had been done properly.
    • torbrex
    • By torbrex 29th Sep 15, 5:51 PM
    • 67,660 Posts
    • 124,659 Thanks
    torbrex
    Nationwide got back to me today in reply to a letter that I had sent saying how disappointed I was with the resutl of their search.

The guy was quite polite and seemed to take on board my complaint about the wording of their letter and appologised for the impression that I had taken from it.

Hopefully something will be done for any future enquiries but for me, the end has come, I will not take another account with them.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 1st Oct 15, 6:30 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 1,392 Thanks
    TheBanker
    No real surprises up until today when I got a letter from the Nationwide saying that they have not been able to trace any details of accounts held with them using the information kindly provided.
    This I find very surprising as I hold an active but not recently used Regular Saver account with them which I expected would be listed as a result of their search, if the search had been done properly.
    Originally posted by torbrex
    I think a few other posters mentioned this earlier in the thread. Somewhere on the mylostaccount site, it says the search is only for lost (i.e. dormant) accounts and banks won't search active accounts. I think this could be made clearer when you submit the search, but it makes sense to me.
    • B_Lofthouse
    • By B_Lofthouse 14th Jun 16, 3:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    B_Lofthouse
    Many years ago I worked for a small firm of architects that had set up their own company pension scheme with Scottish Amicable, now part of Royal London. When I left the practice after 18 months I was issued with a statement of paid up benefits indicating that I would receive a small annual pension upon reaching retirement age. I carefully hung on to this piece of paper for 40 years and having turned 65 earlier this year wrote to Royal London to see if I could claim my pension. I was disappointed to learn that the scheme had been closed about 20 years ago and the Trustees had, in effect, run off with my money, and no doubt that of other former employees. In my case this was of no great significance but I wonder how often this occurs when there are larger sums at stake. So your followers should be aware that they may well find a similar situation when chasing up a long lost pension.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 14th Jun 16, 3:15 PM
    • 88,772 Posts
    • 54,108 Thanks
    dunstonh
    but I wonder how often this occurs when there are larger sums at stake.
    Since Maxwell it doesnt. Plus, it does not occur on insurance company run contracts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 14th Jun 16, 7:13 PM
    • 9,477 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I carefully hung on to this piece of paper for 40 years and having turned 65 earlier this year wrote to Royal London to see if I could claim my pension. I was disappointed to learn that the scheme had been closed about 20 years ago and the Trustees had, in effect, run off with my money, and no doubt that of other former employees. In my case this was of no great significance
    Originally posted by B_Lofthouse
    Over 45 years, I worked for a High Street bank for about 18 months and contributed to the pension scheme. At age 65 I was given my pension as a one-off lump sum, less than £17!! So you probably haven't lost much!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,803Posts Today

7,818Users online

Martin's Twitter