Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 37
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 1st Aug 17, 10:40 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Hi there,
    I'm hoping someone can help. I've booked a car for the first time, and am still trying to get my head around the jargon.
    My policy is with Europcar and includes:
    Reservation Price includes
    • CDW Liability / excess: GBP 779.00 excluding tax
    • T(H)W Liability / excess: GBP 779.00 excluding tax
    I know I need to take excess insurance out.
    Will an excess insurance also cover me for the TW liability (theft liability)?Or will I need another one?
    What about if there is an accident and it is my fault, so I have to pay for the damage to the other car. Will I still have to pay the excess on that? Reading the Ts&Cs of some of the excess insurance contracts they seem to be only talking about covering all damage to the hire car.

I'd appreciate any help, I've spend hours reading around this and still I'm not sure!
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by I'll_do_better_next_time
    Eample covers all to do with the rental car.
    https://www.bettersafe.com/Documents/CHLDW_Insurance_Policy.pdf
    https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection

More choices here: https://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/comparisons/car-hire-insurance

Third Party Liability(causing damage to someone else) insurance is something else and possibly already included in your contract with Europcar
    • statesidemanc
    • By statesidemanc 3rd Aug 17, 11:41 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    statesidemanc
    Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I've found a great value deal to Orlando via a Thomas Cook holiday - never done one of these before. It includes car hire in the price, which seems like a bonus.

But, as with all car hire, it seems the devil is in the detail on the insurance.

They link to here: thomascook. com/car-hire-info
    And try an upsell the inclusive insurance packages.

My question is, can I take out the separate excess policies here Martin talks about - will they be valid? And also, there seems to many additional charges here, not related to insurance:

State Environment Surcharge ($2.05 per day) $28.70
    Airport handling fee and 10% on options purchased $49.00
    Airport operating fee and 10% on options purchased $63.36
    State Sales Tax (6-7%) $9.62
    LP – Liability protection ($12.44 per day) $174.16
    CDW – Collision Damage Waiver ($20.99 per day) $293.86

Are these all payable regardless, with any car hire?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 3rd Aug 17, 1:54 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Originally posted by statesidemanc
    If you book car hire direct with something like Alamo Gold then all that is included.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 3rd Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I've found a great value deal to Orlando via a Thomas Cook holiday - never done one of these before. It includes car hire in the price, which seems like a bonus.

But, as with all car hire, it seems the devil is in the detail on the insurance.

They link to here: thomascook. com/car-hire-info
    And try an upsell the inclusive insurance packages.

My question is, can I take out the separate excess policies here Martin talks about - will they be valid? And also, there seems to many additional charges here, not related to insurance:

State Environment Surcharge ($2.05 per day) $28.70
    Airport handling fee and 10% on options purchased $49.00
    Airport operating fee and 10% on options purchased $63.36
    State Sales Tax (6-7%) $9.62
    LP – Liability protection ($12.44 per day) $174.16
    CDW – Collision Damage Waiver ($20.99 per day) $293.86

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
    Yes, you can purchase standalone insurance. Then just the above are payable on arrival.

You only have three choices from where to purchase the full policy.

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance (Annual)

https://www.carhireexcess.com (Daily and Annual). LP = Supplemental Liability Insurance. Tick the Supplemental Liability Insurance box on the second page.

https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection (Daily and Annual) Choose option (inc. CDW & SLI)

Bettersafe best value overall. Insurance4carHire well established with a good reputation, but only annual.

Don't neglect to purchase via Quidco or TopCashBack.

You'll need to have a CC in the name of the Driver for them to block an amount on it for the excess payable in the event of an incident.
    • statesidemanc
    • By statesidemanc 3rd Aug 17, 7:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    statesidemanc
    You only have three choices from where to purchase the full policy.
    Thanks Wayt - big help! Could you just clarify why you say I only have three choices of where to purchase?

I spoke with a rep at Thomas Cook (live chat) and asked about getting car insurance elsewhere - she said the extra insurance had to be purchased from TC, or from Alamo - those were the only options.

Any thoughts on this? Or is it just a scare tactic?

Thanks!

Ben
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 3rd Aug 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I've just had a quick look at Alamo, I don't know anything about you, what car you want or when you're going, but all those taxes come to about the same as the total hire charge direct with Alamo Gold!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 4th Aug 17, 12:26 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Thanks Wayt - big help! Could you just clarify why you say I only have three choices of where to purchase?

I spoke with a rep at Thomas Cook (live chat) and asked about getting car insurance elsewhere - she said the extra insurance had to be purchased from TC, or from Alamo - those were the only options.

Any thoughts on this? Or is it just a scare tactic?

Thanks!

Ben
    She is lying. Alamo don't care. People booking the same via Thomsons and Virgin had no problems with Alamo. Don't waste time and energy talking to TC.

Only the linked to companies sell SLI. I thought that I made that clear. Stop flapping and wavering.
    No need to purchase the policy until a few days before you leave. When you are sure that you are going. But don't forget.

Of course Essex Exile is totally wrong. He doesn't even know the length of your rental, but yet he is making definitive pronouncements. Furthermore, since you won't purchase any options, you won't be paying 10% of anything.

Someone else in a similar position paid US$111 for a eighteen day rental,
    plus the standalone insurance. Here

So if EE can price up an eighteen day Florida Alamo Gold rental in September for US$110 plus £80 for annual CDW & SLI, a total of £165, I'll eat my words.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 4th Aug 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Of course Essex Exile is totally wrong. He doesn't even know the length of your rental,
    Originally posted by WAYT
    It's in the OP & I put in lots of caveats.
    I was comparing the prices given with the prices for Alamo Gold to show that the deal he was quoting was not a good deal. I agree that the cheapest way is as you describe. However as I read so many horror stories about car hire I prefer the safer route. It's a personal decision.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 4th Aug 17, 11:31 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    It's in the OP & I put in lots of caveats.
    I was comparing the prices given with the prices for Alamo Gold to show that the deal he was quoting was not a good deal. I agree that the cheapest way is as you describe. However as I read so many horror stories about car hire I prefer the safer route. It's a personal decision.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Perhaps you can recount a "horror story" that may be relevant to the poster. It's no good putting the frighteners on someone for no good reason.

Also, your reply was misleading, as what you wrote was "all those taxes come to about the same as the total hire charge direct with Alamo Gold"

The charges for CDW and LP/SLI are not "taxes". So it looked as if you were suggesting they could get a 14 day rental with Alamo Gold for around US$100 or less.

Others on this board have done the FlyDrive thing and had no issue with this at all. Even confirming it with Alamo.
    This is a website concerned with getting the best value, not scaring people into paying twice as much because you are too afraid to be creative.
    • PAUL R
    • By PAUL R 4th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PAUL R
    Went on a California road trip recently and used Avis via Expedia who were brilliant in every way. My advice is avoid Goldcar/Rhodium in Europe like the plague at any price. Used them once at Alicante and they are shockingly bad. Massive wait at the desks, pressure selling insurance to people who already have full CDW, Dark grey cars in a dark car park, Cars are dirty inside and out, Shifty looking, rude and lazy staff who refuse to check cars on pickup or drop off. Rip off fuel charges one was 89 euros for half a tank on an Opel Corsa. Boy racer car parkers driving around like idiots. No parking available when you drop the car off. Will then claim for scratches after you have flown home even if you have taken photos proving otherwise. They do not reply to any e-mails. Even though not a large amount of money in our case currently we are posting this warning on every website, have e-mailed Auto Europe with our hi resolution photos showing no damage as we have full CDW and this is insurance fraud against them. We will also be reporting them on the EU consumers website and the Spanish Police. If everyone they rip off kicks up enough fuss eventually they will either go out of business or more likely have to change their name.
    • Ashers92
    • By Ashers92 6th Aug 17, 2:25 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Ashers92
    Just thought I'd double check my plans here to make sure I've not forgotten anything.

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Alcudia, Majorca from October 5th-9th this year and I'm looking at taking out the following via Skyscanner:

Collection - Oct 5th @ 12:00
    Return - Oct 9th @ 17:00
    Provider is ClickRent, via GotCarRentals.com

Looking at the Audi A1 or similar for £33 (There is cheaper at £27, but we intend to do some driving through the mountain ranges one day so a slightly nicer car would be nice)
    Full to Full fuel policy
    Theft Protection (£1500 deductible)
    CDW (£1000 deductible)
    Third Party Liability
    Free Cancellation/Amendment upto Sept 30th
    C/C Deposit of £1500
    I'm 25 so no young driver charges.

I'll be taking out separate excess insurance elsewhere for around £7.
    So all in its looking to be £40, before fuel.

Is there any additions I should look out for? Obviously we wont need the hire companies insurance so will have to take the £1500 deposit on credit card so I need to increase my credit limit before we leave.

Any one had experience with ClickRent in the past?

Any advice/pointers appreciated.
    Thanks
    #157 - Save £12k in 2016: £12000 / £12000
    House deposit saving mode active: £21690 / £40000
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 6th Aug 17, 3:17 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Just thought I'd double check my plans here to make sure I've not forgotten anything.

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Alcudia, Majorca from October 5th-9th this year and I'm looking at taking out the following via Skyscanner:

Collection - Oct 5th @ 12:00
    Return - Oct 9th @ 17:00
    Provider is ClickRent, via GotCarRentals.com

Looking at the Audi A1 or similar for £33 (There is cheaper at £27, but we intend to do some driving through the mountain ranges one day so a slightly nicer car would be nice)
    Full to Full fuel policy
    Theft Protection (£1500 deductible)
    CDW (£1000 deductible)
    Third Party Liability
    Free Cancellation/Amendment upto Sept 30th
    C/C Deposit of £1500
    I'm 25 so no young driver charges.

I'll be taking out separate excess insurance elsewhere for around £7.
    So all in its looking to be £40, before fuel.

Is there any additions I should look out for? Obviously we wont need the hire companies insurance so will have to take the £1500 deposit on credit card so I need to increase my credit limit before we leave.

Any one had experience with ClickRent in the past?

Any advice/pointers appreciated.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Ashers92
    Are you joking? Are you actually expecting to pay £33 for 5 day rental of an Audi A1?
    If that is the case, then hand your passport in to the Passport Office.
    I don't even need to look at their T&C to know that there will be caveats.

Puts me in mind of the old Southern saying:

Read their reviews. You might get away with it or you might not. No one here will encourage you to do so. Good luck.
    • DJP Lindfield
    • By DJP Lindfield 8th Aug 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DJP Lindfield
    Centauro and 'Full to Full'
    Having followed the hints and booked a 'Full to Full' hire, arrived at Alicante just after midnight last Tuesday to find that Centauro had decided to give us a 75% full car and to return it at 75%. It is difficult to get this right and we ended up returning with 90%, so costing us more and contributing to Centauro's income. The staff member acknowledged that we had a 'Full to Full' contract but stated that the company often change this at pick up. Centauro have not so far admitted that they did not fulfil the contract, merely re-stating that we should return the car with the amount of fuel it came with. Unable to tell whether Centauro are the only co who arbitrarily change the contract...
    • statesidemanc
    • By statesidemanc 27th Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    statesidemanc
    Update on Thomas Cook car hire
    Just to update everyone on here on the outcome of car hire/ insurance with Thomas Cook - and to thank WAYT for the great advice.

See post above for full details that Thomas Cook wanted (on top of their "free" car hire)

Thomas Cook rep said insurance package had to be bought from TC or Alamo (or pay the full whack when you get there).

I checked with Alamo direct, and now have written confirmation that they except third party insurance cover - CDW and SLI (LP).

I got this from BetterSafe for 2 week trip - £63.17 (+airport taxes)
    Cost from TC - £392 (alamo all inclusive) or £476 (alamo gold)

Incidentally, go direct with Alamo and choose the Alamo gold option, and you can get the full car hire for £330 - over £100 less than "Free" car hire with Alamo gold insurance from Thomas Cook!

So - saving of OVER £300 by getting standalone car hire insurance!

Thanks everyone.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 28th Aug 17, 1:11 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Just to update everyone on here on the outcome of car hire/ insurance with Thomas Cook - and to thank WAYT for the great advice.

See post above for full details that Thomas Cook wanted (on top of their "free" car hire)

Thomas Cook rep said insurance package had to be bought from TC or Alamo (or pay the full whack when you get there).

I checked with Alamo direct, and now have written confirmation that they except third party insurance cover - CDW and SLI (LP).

I got this from BetterSafe for 2 week trip - £63.17 (+airport taxes)
    Cost from TC - £392 (alamo all inclusive) or £476 (alamo gold)

Incidentally, go direct with Alamo and choose the Alamo gold option, and you can get the full car hire for £330 - over £100 less than "Free" car hire with Alamo gold insurance from Thomas Cook!

So - saving of OVER £300 by getting standalone car hire insurance!

Thanks everyone.
    Would have been worth getting the annual policy via Quidco for around £76.50 if you were likely to rent a car again with the 12 month period.
    • statesidemanc
    • By statesidemanc 28th Aug 17, 9:00 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    statesidemanc
    Would have been worth getting the annual policy via Quidco for around £76.50 if you were likely to rent a car again with the 12 month period.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    Yeah I looked at annual - but very unlikely to rent again within the next year, so figured I'd save an extra tenner. Used Quidco anyway, so £6.32 back, bringing it down to £57
    • Cheriton
    • By Cheriton 27th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cheriton
    Additional driver charges
    ADDITIONAL DRIVER CHARGES These seem to be the new stealth money spinner for UK car hires. Why does the article not go into more detail on this? I have not been able to find a search engine which has a filter to bring this into the quotes.
    There are a few opportunities to include your spouse without an extra charge. However I recently hired a car in Northumberland and had to pay £72 for 6 days Economy bracket car, but an additional £78 to include a friend as an additional driver. This is ludicrous.
    Does anyone know where I can go to suggest directly to MSE that this issue (and also child seat charges) needs to be in the Search engines like fuel policy and so on?
    Thanks
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 27th Sep 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    EssexExile
    This is the overseas section.
    • ccess2g
    • By ccess2g 4th Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ccess2g
    My adventures with Green Motion, their agent Car del Mar and excess insurance
    Thank you MSE as ever. Over the years, as well as savings, you have stopped me falling into pitfalls, given me ideas and changed my behaviour most beneficially. When it came to car hire however, I had given up trying to understand the relationship between the expenditure announced and my final bill.

This time, under the pressure that the "last ticket at that price" would go, I hired a car at the same time as I booked an air ticket, but cancelled after securing the flight ticket and switching on the thinking mode with a visit to the MSE web site.

So, following your recipe step by step, the announced hire price was reduced by 70%. A visit to moneymaxim resulted in a yearly excess insurance for about half the price announced for a one-off 10-day hire. Little did I know that when returning the car, it would also save me another £156 as the "Car Vehicle Condition Report Form" stipulated that "Excess excludes wheels, tyres, glass, the roof and the underneath", which I hadn't noticed.

Of course, one had to stay clear of extras, or the "local rental conditions", both expensive (e.g. GPS £16.80 GBP per day, or DVLA checking fee £15). In actual fact, it was not clear whose T&Cs applied, agent's (CarDelMar), or hire company's (Green Motion) or both. However, the paperwork requirements of the agent, confirming the booking on behalf of the actual car hire company, appeared to me excessive (2 utility bills, as well as passport, driving license and credit card).

Then, when I sought to extend the booking, Green Motion quoted a punitive price retroactively, for the totality of the booking since the beginning. I declined, went back to the MSE method and found a much cheaper continuation hire without problem.

When I returned the Green Motion car. A scuff on the passenger front wheel was found and an invoice for £156 issued. Well, I made the corresponding claim to the excess insurance (Eversure, operating via a claims agent) and although this required 2 rounds of paperwork, it resulted in the promise of a refund.

The last disappointment came when checking my credit card statement, I noticed a discrepancy between the booking fee charged by Car del Mar and the invoice by Green Motion. Another email to Green Motion elicited the reply "the amount that is displayed on our Invoice is the amount we shall receive from your broker and the amount charged is the amount that your Broker is charging you for the rental cost".

As you can see, there are still quite a few corset hooks to be undone in car hiring. Yet again, it was an unpleasant experience full of stress and wasted time.
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 16th Oct 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    Thank you MSE as ever. Over the years, as well as savings, you have stopped me falling into pitfalls, given me ideas and changed my behaviour most beneficially. When it came to car hire however, I had given up trying to understand the relationship between the expenditure announced and my final bill.

This time, under the pressure that the "last ticket at that price" would go, I hired a car at the same time as I booked an air ticket, but cancelled after securing the flight ticket and switching on the thinking mode with a visit to the MSE web site.

So, following your recipe step by step, the announced hire price was reduced by 70%. A visit to moneymaxim resulted in a yearly excess insurance for about half the price announced for a one-off 10-day hire. Little did I know that when returning the car, it would also save me another £156 as the "Car Vehicle Condition Report Form" stipulated that "Excess excludes wheels, tyres, glass, the roof and the underneath", which I hadn't noticed.

Of course, one had to stay clear of extras, or the "local rental conditions", both expensive (e.g. GPS £16.80 GBP per day, or DVLA checking fee £15). In actual fact, it was not clear whose T&Cs applied, agent's (CarDelMar), or hire company's (Green Motion) or both. However, the paperwork requirements of the agent, confirming the booking on behalf of the actual car hire company, appeared to me excessive (2 utility bills, as well as passport, driving license and credit card).

Then, when I sought to extend the booking, Green Motion quoted a punitive price retroactively, for the totality of the booking since the beginning. I declined, went back to the MSE method and found a much cheaper continuation hire without problem.

When I returned the Green Motion car. A scuff on the passenger front wheel was found and an invoice for £156 issued. Well, I made the corresponding claim to the excess insurance (Eversure, operating via a claims agent) and although this required 2 rounds of paperwork, it resulted in the promise of a refund.

The last disappointment came when checking my credit card statement, I noticed a discrepancy between the booking fee charged by Car del Mar and the invoice by Green Motion. Another email to Green Motion elicited the reply "the amount that is displayed on our Invoice is the amount we shall receive from your broker and the amount charged is the amount that your Broker is charging you for the rental cost".

As you can see, there are still quite a few corset hooks to be undone in car hiring. Yet again, it was an unpleasant experience full of stress and wasted time.
    Originally posted by ccess2g
    So you saved 70% on the hire car and £156 on the scuff by using the excess insurance, but it was an unpleasant experience because of 'wasted time'? I think you did very well out of it. I appreciate the excess insurance is a hassle, but having just (and I mean this evening) completed a similar claim myself, I think it was definitely worth the effort.

Cafe del Mar were the agent, so whatever they quoted you initially would be what you would have paid. No idea why Green Motion provided you with an invoice, but the Cafe del Mar price would be what you agreed to pay initially.
    Last edited by Wings of Ambition; 16-10-2017 at 7:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin