Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 35
    • amf
    • By amf 18th May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    amf
    I've realised that some state you can't travel crossboarder but other than that is there anything else I need to be aware of when booking that could cost me extra when I turn up?
    Originally posted by Travelprincess11
    Your passport will need to be valid for 6 months after you cross the border into Scotland. Also, remember to apply for your ESTA at least 3 days in advance.

The following web site allows you to compare car hire excess policies
    Last edited by amf; 18-05-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Link removed - didn't realise it was an affiliate link (Google search). DownTime has provided a link in post below.
    • DownTime
    • By DownTime 18th May 17, 7:55 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    DownTime
    Link without an affiliate ID; http://www.moneymaxim.co.uk/compare-car-hire-excess-insurance

Note that some things are only mentioned in the small print.

Bettersafe's Annual Worldwide (inc. CDW & SLI) includes CDW up to US$100,000 worldwide. That isn't reflected on the main page, though you can see it once you click through to the small print.
    • deepdale56
    • By deepdale56 21st Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    deepdale56
    Car hire breakdown cover
    Check its included. More and more companies now sell it at the counter as an 'extra'. Or check it's included in your own policy for hire cars abroad.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 21st Jun 17, 5:34 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Check its included. More and more companies now sell it at the counter as an 'extra'. Or check it's included in your own policy for hire cars abroad.
    Originally posted by deepdale56
    Not quite right. They probably have basic breakdown cover included, but don't make it entirely clear as to what is not included in the basic breakdown service. Generally the things that can be construed as your fault, are not included.
    Generally, if the car breaks down because of a mechanical fault, there are liable. But it something can be construed as your fault, such as locking the keys in the car, running out of petrol etc....

So check what is included in their extra breakdown cover and then look for that in your car hire excess policy.
    • marie.a.londres
    • By marie.a.londres 22nd Jun 17, 2:52 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marie.a.londres
    Can someone help?

I have a full, clean, UK driving license & reside in the UK. I also have an Annual, Worldwide, 31 day Car Hire Excess Insurance from Eversure. I also have comprehensive travel insurance and a further car hire damage insurance with my credit card.

We will be hiring a car in Canada for 2 weeks. It is clear that the policy with Eversure (and the credit card insurance policy) cover us for up to US 50,000 of damage to the rental vehicle - so the value of the car we hired is covered -- no problem there.

The issue is that neither the travel insurance or the car hire policies include 'personal liability' otherwise sometimes called 'public liability' ... so if a pedestrian or cyclists throws him/herself in front of the car, and then sues us, we have no cover -- What do others do? How can we obtain cover for this risk?

If you reply, please sign you post - I have seen a lot of replies to these kinds of queries that appear to be a sales representative for Bettersafe.

Many thanks, Marie
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 22nd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Can someone help?

I have a full, clean, UK driving license & reside in the UK. I also have an Annual, Worldwide, 31 day Car Hire Excess Insurance from Eversure. I also have comprehensive travel insurance and a further car hire damage insurance with my credit card.

We will be hiring a car in Canada for 2 weeks. It is clear that the policy with Eversure (and the credit card insurance policy) cover us for up to US 50,000 of damage to the rental vehicle - so the value of the car we hired is covered -- no problem there.

The issue is that neither the travel insurance or the car hire policies include 'personal liability' otherwise sometimes called 'public liability' ... so if a pedestrian or cyclists throws him/herself in front of the car, and then sues us, we have no cover -- What do others do? How can we obtain cover for this risk?

If you reply, please sign you post - I have seen a lot of replies to these kinds of queries that appear to be a sales representative for Bettersafe.

Many thanks, Marie
    Originally posted by marie.a.londres
    That is a rather nasty accusation. The point of the forum is to post the best deals.

There are only a few options in the market that offer CDW & SLI. So you can pay a little more with https://www.carhireexcess.com or take an annual policy: http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance

Yuk!
    • marie.a.londres
    • By marie.a.londres 22nd Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marie.a.londres
    Accusation???
    Hi Yuk,

it wasn't an accusation it was a statement of my rather well founded perception... If you find it 'nasty' ... perhaps it is because the hat fits your head? ... the point of the forum, in my view is to inform -

Please refrain from insulting polite posters!
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 22nd Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    Hi Yuk,

it wasn't an accusation it was a statement of my rather well founded perception... If you find it 'nasty' ... perhaps it is because the hat fits your head? ... the point of the forum, in my view is to inform -

Please refrain from insulting polite posters!
    Originally posted by marie.a.londres
    No one would here insult someone polite.
    On the other hand, ill mannered, accusatory people full of a sense of entitlement are quite another issue. Which is why their questions are usually ignored on this forum.
    I on the other hand, overcame my nausea and provided an answer to your question. Unfortunately, due to your not so well though out reply, the feelings of nausea have returned.
    It seems that no good deed goes unpunished.
    Now excuse me as I have to go to throw up. Enjoy your holiday in Canada and be sure to obtain Liability Insurance, in order to ensure that if and when you do harm to others that you are able to pay for it.
    Have a nice day.

Bluergh!
    • D.n.turner
    • By D.n.turner 26th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    D.n.turner
    I fly to Orlando next month for two weeks with family. I have car hire through Alamo from the travel company and basic third party insurance. Should I be concerned when I get there I'm going to be asked to pay out more for different insurance packages and fees? What's the best thing to do?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 26th Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    I fly to Orlando next month for two weeks with family. I have car hire through Alamo from the travel company and basic third party insurance. Should I be concerned when I get there I'm going to be asked to pay out more for different insurance packages and fees? What's the best thing to do?
    Originally posted by D.n.turner
    When you book from the UK as a UK citizen, you should be fully covered, unless it's a Fly/Drive deal.
    If it's a FlyDrive thing, you'll need to buy CDW. Better still CDW with SLI/EP.

https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection with CDW & SLI
    https://www.carhireexcess.com/ with their Supplemental Liability add on.
    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/usa-canada-car-hire-excess-insurance

Don't neglect Quidco/TopCashBack.

Then you only be left with some taxes and airport fees.

Look here for full details on Fly/Drive
    • trixxi
    • By trixxi 27th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    trixxi
    Car Hire in Alicante
    Hi,
    I am looking for car hire from alicante airport. 4 adults and luggage was hoping we could all drive the car whilst there.
    doea anyone have any advice on who to use or not to use please.
    Dates are 9th August till 21st Aug
    Thanks
    • richardw
    • By richardw 27th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 18,357 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    richardw
    Hi,
    I am looking for car hire from alicante airport. 4 adults and luggage was hoping we could all drive the car whilst there.
    doea anyone have any advice on who to use or not to use please.
    Dates are 9th August till 21st Aug
    Thanks
    Originally posted by trixxi
    Enterprise.co.uk seem to be competitive for your dates.
    Avoid Goldcar and Inter rent.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Jun 17, 8:46 AM
    • 18,357 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    richardw
    Europcar owns Interrent and has now acquired Goldcar, it seems they want a big chunk of the market, it'll be interesting to see if their prices creep up.
    • dnpark38
    • By dnpark38 30th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dnpark38
    That's a worry for me now as I have a car booked with Europcar and Goldcar have a branch at same location. Europcar have a good reputation but Goldcar haven't in fact everyone says they are a rip off with finding fictitious damage and taking CC payment for it.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 18,357 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    richardw
    On my last five car hires I've found competitive prices direct with the car hire companies and have received good service.
    It's certainly well worth researching fully before booking.
    • dnpark38
    • By dnpark38 30th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dnpark38
    Yes agree with doing the research usually find the agencies have same price as direct website ones.
    I used to find earlier one booked then you got cheapest quote now finding the later one books the cheapest is obtained.
    EG last year my quote was 400 'ish I waited until 2 weeks before and paid 200 'ish. the usual price payed before.
    • sunburnedabit
    • By sunburnedabit 2nd Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sunburnedabit
    I would avoid all car hire firms within Alicante airport. We have used Drivalia three times now, no hidden "extras" Good outfit. Full to full tank.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 3rd Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    hybernia
    Not sure if there's any such thing nowadays as 'cheap car hire' (as per the title of this sub forum.) This has less to do with the price of rentals as the exchange rate GBP to Euro.

(Ironically, we stumbled across the other day an old hire car contract document of ours from July of 2003. The rental was for 2 weeks and the exchange rate was 1 Euro = 69.5p.

We're today newly returned from Almeria, where our car hire has worked out at over 280 for 14 days rental of a tiny (very tiny) Citroen C1, so small that you can't get an aircraft-hold-size suitcase into the boot but must pop it onto the back seat. God knows what people are paying for larger size cars; our experience seems to indicate that 20 per day (on present exchange rates) is the going rate.

As to our rental. We booked via a reputable third party which led us to OpenCar of Alicante. Perhaps if we'd booked direct with OpenCar it would've been cheaper.

We flew into Murcia San Javier and were met by the OpenCar representative. The little Citroen C1 was virtually brand new. It included a full tank of petrol (and at 50mpg, that was fine for us.) The price covered everything, including 2 Euros per day for a named second driver. Insurance was fully comprehensive. We have an annual excess damage waiver thingie insurance policy and OpenCar were perfectly happy with that and made no attempt to sell any financial product of their own.

We've never used OpenCar before (head office is in Alicante) but were very impressed with the straightforwardness of the contract; the quality of the vehicle; and the fuel policy. You can find them on the 'Net. Whether you choose to go with them or not is up to you, but whatever you do; AVOID GoldCar.

Doesn't matter if it's been sold on to some other company or not; it's definitely not a brand you should have anything to do with -- and certainly, should never, ever, rent from: they're even that stupid that they plaster their rental cars with GOLDCAR stickers, just to let every potential thief know that here's a tourist's car, ready for the taking.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 18,357 Posts
    • 7,592 Thanks
    richardw
    At 20 a day, incl full tank of fuel, you weren't ripped off hybernia.
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 4th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    hybernia
    Thanks, Richard. Nice to be reassured, though to be honest we didn't think OpenCar had charged an exorbitant rate, more that the way the exchange rate is nowadays is making for considerably more expensive car hire than we've been used to.

Our little C1 was an absolute gem for two people, and OpenCar'sservice (which seems to be posited on 'trust the customer') was first-rate -- we actually needed to phone their office about something and the query was dealt with immediately by someone seemingly more fluent in the English language than even we are.

We particularly liked being able to leave the car at the airport on departure: "make sure you've collected all your possessions, put the airport parking ticket in the boot, and then, with the boot lid still open, lock the car using the remote on the key, place the keys in the boot and close the lid. We'll collect the vehicle later."

This contrasted markedly with a massive delay we faced at Almeria airport a few years ago when returning a Hertz rental. First we had to queue at the desk. Then had to wait until a staff member was free to go out to the airport car park to check the car hadn't been wrecked. Then had to wait until the staff member returned from a seemingly lengthy inspection.

OpenCar's leave-it-lock-it-have-a-good-flight-home made a refreshing change. (And as noted, the 20-per-day equivalent did include a brimmed-full fuel tank and a 2 Euro per day charge for the second named driver.) We have absolutely no connection with this firm, but will certainly use it again, whether flying into Alicante -- an airport we really don't like -- or Murcia San Javier, one of the smallest, cosiest and friendliest in all Spain and definitely, our favourite.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

3,376Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin