Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,218Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 34
    • Victoria211
    • By Victoria211 31st Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Victoria211
    On my last visit to Spain I hired a car from Europcar via Hoilday Autos and I had the option to pre-pay or return full.
    • Michael24
    • By Michael24 31st Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Michael24
    Hi, I've followed the MSE guidance for car hire in the US and can get an intermediate car for £260 for 2 weeks, but do I still have to pay local charges and taxes, it's all very (deliberately) confusing and I don't want to turn up in Florida only to be told I have to pay $500 in local taxes and charges.

Also any advice on getting a child seat, it varies between $7-15 per day on the car hire websites.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 1st Apr 17, 12:22 PM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,380 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Hi, I've followed the MSE guidance for car hire in the US and can get an intermediate car for £260 for 2 weeks, but do I still have to pay local charges and taxes, it's all very (deliberately) confusing and I don't want to turn up in Florida only to be told I have to pay $500 in local taxes and charges.

Also any advice on getting a child seat, it varies between $7-15 per day on the car hire websites.
    Originally posted by Michael24
    Post full instead of vague details, in so that we can check.
    • zooks
    • By zooks 2nd Apr 17, 2:48 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    zooks
    Advice please,
    Flying to Gerona 16/7/17 and looking for car hire for 1 week.
    Last year we used National (Enterprise) and they were great, full to full, no issues whatsoever. I have just gone to book with them again and the airport office is now closed sundays so I can't!

Who else is trustworthy please?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 2nd Apr 17, 6:42 PM
    • 18,085 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    richardw
    ..Who else is trustworthy please?
    Originally posted by zooks
    Look at Enterprise, Europcar and Avis.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • zooks
    • By zooks 3rd Apr 17, 7:48 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    zooks
    Thanks
    Enterprise are closed but avis have good prices. Do you know if they make a fuss about having a standalone excess policy or try to give you the hard sell about their own super cover?
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Apr 17, 9:22 AM
    • 18,085 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    richardw
    Avis do try and sell their own policy, but it's not a hard sell.

If you say 'no thanks' with a 'you've not go chance of selling that to me' demeanour, they quickly realise and carry on administering your car hire.
    • sok
    • By sok 7th Apr 17, 6:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sok
    Hi all,

A word of warning about GoldCar in Malta. DO NOT USE THEM! I booked through Argus Car Hire recently and inspected the car on collection (notifying the rep of minor damage that they'd failed to put on the release document) yet on return was charged over €750 for alleged damage, both of which would have required a forensic examination to sport yet the rep spotted both within a minute. IQZ-878 was the reg and I doubt if the repair will be done (minor mark that could have been t-cutted and a small crack in the wing mirror indicator).

But also watch out for the excess insurance that arguscarhire sold me (underwritten by Axa). Axa are currently refusing to reimburse part of the claim marked as 'loss of use' claiming it is not covered. There is no mention in 'exclusions' and I believe it is reasonable to assume that I would have purchased the policy to refund any excess I had to pay, including 'loss of use' (which is part of the overall damage cost).

I am taking it further with both Axa and Argus as it could be deemed as an insurance mis-sell ('Peace of Mind' policy). Why would I knowingly buy a policy for 'Peace of Mind' that then doesn't cover me against all loss?

Be careful, as even when you think you have done everything right, something happens that means you need to be even more careful.
    • beekay1943
    • By beekay1943 4th May 17, 3:26 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    beekay1943
    Menorca Car Hire
    Since 1990, I have been visiting Menorca annually and have booked a hire car through various companies, both local and international. For the past ten years or more, I have booked through a couple of brokers (Holiday Autos and DoYouSpain) but I invariably opt for a vehicle from one of the better known car hire companies (Hiper, Budget, Alamo) and avoid those lesser known firms with dubious user comments. I normally comparing quotes from the brokers with quotes directly from the car hire firms' websites and normally the broker can offer substantial savings.

However, this year (2017), I was surprised to find that booking directly with Hiper gave me the best price so it certainly is worth the time in comparing various quotes from both the brokers and the car hire companies direct.
    • weby72
    • By weby72 12th May 17, 11:14 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    weby72
    Hi. I'm after guidance for hiring a car in the UK.

Both my wife & I have cars, but we're taking my parents away for a break and are looking at hiring a 7-seater so we (me, wife, 2 kids, parents) can all fit in the same car.

I've searched the main companies and a couple of comparison sites, but all have this massive price spike for MPV's. Doesn't bear any relation to the actual car cost (around £300+ for 4 days as opposed to around £150 for a comparable-priced car)

I appreciate it's all a case of supply & demand and companies will charge as much as they can get away with, but wondered if anyone could give any tips on hiring these sorts of vehicles to help us try to bring the cost down.

Thanks
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th May 17, 11:56 AM
    • 18,085 Posts
    • 7,418 Thanks
    richardw
    Have you searched at an airport near to you weby72?

I booked a 7 seater MPV and ended up with a 12 seater minibus, apparently bigger is Ok in the car hire ts & Cs.
    • weby72
    • By weby72 12th May 17, 12:50 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    weby72
    Have you searched at an airport near to you weby72?

I booked a 7 seater MPV and ended up with a 12 seater minibus, apparently bigger is Ok in the car hire ts & Cs.
    Originally posted by richardw

Yeah, I've tried to be flexible on pick-up.
    • WillBur82
    • By WillBur82 12th May 17, 5:47 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    WillBur82
    Hertz CDW warning
    A word of warning re CDW/Hertz:

I made a booking through Hertz for 7 days hire recently in Scotland. Total cost £135 for a Ford Focus. I declined CDW add-on as it would add £26 per day. I assumed that this was an additional CDW which would have reduced a hefty excess (say £1000) to a more manageable one (e.g. £250). [Recently I hired with Europcar and the deal included basic CDW with a £1000 excess].

On arrival at the desk it was explained that I had no protection and my total liability was the market value of the car. Since I had been upgraded from a Focus to a gutless 1.3l Fiat Tipo estate this market value had gone from £13000 to £20000.

I had the stern hard sell talk saying would I be able to cover the total cost of £20000. However the CDW at the desk had now risen from £26 to £33 per day and so would add £210.

I was pretty angry (my annual car insurance policy costs about this amount). So relying on my advanced driving course and a guess of risk, I drove away with the sword of Damocles hanging over my head, but £210 in-pocket!

After a week of careful driving and parking on the other side of the car park, car was returned in perfect shape.

I've since made enquiries with hire excess insurance policies and my warning is that the majority are capped at £6000 to £7000. So make sure you use the MoneyMaxim price comparison site mentioned in the above articles as here you can choose a policy that covers up to amounts such as £50000.
    • robrymond
    • By robrymond 13th May 17, 10:53 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    robrymond
    Looking for car hire in Houston in June and Hertz are showing a pay at counter rate of £228 (at current rates) for a Large Pickup Truck (Silverado or similar). This is far cheaper than even the basic car for 1 week and 3 days hire.

I've applied CDP and discount codes and the price infact rises despite me joining as a Gold Member to take advantage of the 25% discount this weekend.

Does anyone know why the price would rise?!
    • wicked_badger
    • By wicked_badger 15th May 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wicked_badger
    Hi all,

Looking for a car hire in San Francisco from 4th June dropping it back off in Las Vegas on the 7th. Driving down the coast and looking to rent a Mustang or similar convertible. Anyone have any advice?

Looking at a lot of places, they seem to charge one-way fees which are huge! Sixt don't seem to have this though, with rental coming in at around £500.

Anybody got tips or tricks for me? Do they really charge you £££ for taking a car one way?
    • donniedarko
    • By donniedarko 15th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    donniedarko
    A word of warning re CDW/Hertz:

I made a booking through Hertz for 7 days hire recently in Scotland. Total cost £135 for a Ford Focus. I declined CDW add-on as it would add £26 per day. I assumed that this was an additional CDW which would have reduced a hefty excess (say £1000) to a more manageable one (e.g. £250). [Recently I hired with Europcar and the deal included basic CDW with a £1000 excess].

On arrival at the desk it was explained that I had no protection and my total liability was the market value of the car. Since I had been upgraded from a Focus to a gutless 1.3l Fiat Tipo estate this market value had gone from £13000 to £20000.

I had the stern hard sell talk saying would I be able to cover the total cost of £20000. However the CDW at the desk had now risen from £26 to £33 per day and so would add £210.

I was pretty angry (my annual car insurance policy costs about this amount). So relying on my advanced driving course and a guess of risk, I drove away with the sword of Damocles hanging over my head, but £210 in-pocket!

After a week of careful driving and parking on the other side of the car park, car was returned in perfect shape.

I've since made enquiries with hire excess insurance policies and my warning is that the majority are capped at £6000 to £7000. So make sure you use the MoneyMaxim price comparison site mentioned in the above articles as here you can choose a policy that covers up to amounts such as £50000.
    Originally posted by WillBur82

This was your mistake. You removed CDW. Which is different from Excess Waiver.

If you are going to remove CDW, you should at least cover yourself with a standalone CDW policy.

Bettersafe carries such a policy; https://www.bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection

CAR HIRE EXCESS REIMBURSEMENT INSURANCE INCLUDING COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER
    & SUPPLEMENTAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
    • Travelprincess11
    • By Travelprincess11 17th May 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Travelprincess11
    Car Hire Help/Advice Please
    I'd be very grateful for any help/advice please.
    We need to hire a car from Newcastle Airport to travel into Scotland and then back. I've searched and read loads of different sites, but am still a bit confused!
    I'm concerned about prebooking a car and then getting charged lots of extras when I turn up!

Am I right that I can get a standalone insurance policy to avoid extra insurance costs? I still need the CDW though is that right?

I've realised that some state you can't travel crossboarder but other than that is there anything else I need to be aware of when booking that could cost me extra when I turn up?

Any help/advice will be gratefully received-including company recommendations-it's a minefield!!

Thanks in advance!
    • DownTime
    • By DownTime 17th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    DownTime
    I'd be very grateful for any help/advice please.
    We need to hire a car from Newcastle Airport to travel into Scotland and then back. I've searched and read loads of different sites, but am still a bit confused!
    I'm concerned about prebooking a car and then getting charged lots of extras when I turn up!

Am I right that I can get a standalone insurance policy to avoid extra insurance costs? I still need the CDW though is that right?

I've realised that some state you can't travel crossboarder but other than that is there anything else I need to be aware of when booking that could cost me extra when I turn up?

Any help/advice will be gratefully received-including company recommendations-it's a minefield!!

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by Travelprincess11
    The availability of stand-alone insurance varies with your country of residence.
    • Travelprincess11
    • By Travelprincess11 17th May 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Travelprincess11
    Sorry I should have said, we are from and live in the U.K. and have full U.K. licences.
    • DownTime
    • By DownTime 17th May 17, 11:40 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    DownTime
    Sorry I should have said, we are from and live in the U.K. and have full U.K. licences.
    Originally posted by Travelprincess11
    Your choice.

Usually best to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance. Otherwise called Super CDW.
    If they offer the option to remove CDW and the saving is substantial, you can consider purchasing the standalone insurance option with CDW & SLI.

https://
    bettersafe.com/Products/Car-Hire-Excess-Insurance-Protection
    carries both options. Quidco offers 10% off.

No extras should be forced on you. You'll just need to have a valid CC that allows their deposit to be ring-fenced.
    The insurance covers just about everything. Even more comprehensive than offered by the car hirer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

8,360Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin