Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,216Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion
    • 12th Aug 08, 1:31 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap car hire article discussion 12th Aug 08 at 1:31 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the

Click reply to discuss
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 12-08-2008 at 7:30 PM.
Page 32
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 4th Oct 16, 11:34 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Anyone have experience of atlas choice, they are coming in the cheapest so far but it does not stated the car supplier, emailed them to ask and they said it will be on the confirmation once booked. I take it that will mean it's a local hire company and not one of the well known ones
    Originally posted by malky39
    Since no one knows the supplier concerned, do you really expect a subjective opinion?
    You haven't even stated destination and dates. This isn't a psychic board.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 5th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    Since no one knows the supplier concerned, do you really expect a subjective opinion?
    You haven't even stated destination and dates. This isn't a psychic board.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    Sorry I had mentioned it in a previous post. It's in carcassonne France, that's the problem as well as they do not provide the name of the supplier until you have made the booking and paid at least a non refundable deposit, for the cheapest deal.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 5th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Sorry I had mentioned it in a previous post. It's in carcassonne France, that's the problem as well as they do not provide the name of the supplier until you have made the booking and paid at least a non refundable deposit, for the cheapest deal.
    Pop some dates and your price quote down so that people can make a comparison or find a better deal.
    Clearly your issue is with not knowing the supplier, so pop some proper details down so comparisons can be made.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 5th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    Pop some dates and your price quote down so that people can make a comparison or find a better deal.
    Clearly your issue is with not knowing the supplier, so pop some proper details down so comparisons can be made.
    21/06/16-28/06/16 Compact class of car, Atlas were coming in at £90, your correct my issue is with not knowing the supplier, and reviews of the agents use seem to vary greatly.
    Last edited by malky39; 05-10-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Change
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 6th Oct 16, 2:28 AM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    21/06/16-28/06/16 Compact class of car, Atlas were coming in at £90, your correct my issue is with not knowing the supplier, and reviews of the agents use seem to vary greatly.
    That date has already passed. Supplier is possibly FireFly(Hertz's low cost brand). Though possibly not, as your quote may have limited km usage. Book direct with FireFly(or pay the few pounds more to go with AVIS/Hertz) and do not neglect to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance.

Don't forget Quidco. http://www.quidco.com/firefly-car-rental/
    • malky39
    • By malky39 6th Oct 16, 1:16 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    That date has already passed. Supplier is possibly FireFly(Hertz's low cost brand). Though possibly not, as your quote may have limited km usage. Book direct with FireFly(or pay the few pounds more to go with AVIS/Hertz) and do not neglect to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance.

Don't forget Quidco. http://www.quidco.com/firefly-car-rental/
    Not paying attention it was 2017. I will get standalone insurance. The extra to go with hertz is £150 for a smaller car. With firefly direct £25 more. So if atlas are using firefly I would book with them as the difference will pay for my separate insurance
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 6th Oct 16, 1:41 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Not paying attention it was 2017. I will get standalone insurance. The extra to go with hertz is £150 for a smaller car. With firefly direct £25 more. So if atlas are using firefly I would book with them as the difference will pay for my separate insurance
    I don't know from where you get £90.
    Your dates with Atlas:

It seems that you are not following. I stated that it might be FireFly, but possibility not, as your choice suggests limited km per day.
    FireFly direct with Quidco is currently £106.
    If you aren't prepared to pay £3 more for peace of mind, I don't know what to tell you.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 6th Oct 16, 5:20 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    I don't know from where you get £90.
    Your dates with Atlas:

It seems that you are not following. I stated that it might be FireFly, but possibility not, as your choice suggests limited km per day.
    FireFly direct with Quidco is currently £106.
    If you aren't prepared to pay £3 more for peace of mind, I don't know what to tell you.
    I was following, and understood that you were only speculating that it could be firefly.
    I got the £90 through a comparison site, it was limited mileage but 300km per day which is plenty, cant remember which one right now as I tried many. But the price may have gone up. Obviously if there is only £3 difference I will book directly with firefly.
    Thanks for the all the advice
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 6th Oct 16, 6:00 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    I was following, and understood that you were only speculating that it could be firefly.
    I got the £90 through a comparison site, it was limited mileage but 300km per day which is plenty, cant remember which one right now as I tried many. But the price may have gone up. Obviously if there is only £3 difference I will book directly with firefly.
    Thanks for the all the advice
    Best to book via Quidco asap, as you can cancel without charge up to 48 hours before arrival.

Q: How can I cancel my reservation? Is there a charge?

A: You can cancel your reservation by using “Modify/Cancel Reservation” field of the reservation box, in the homepage. If you cancel your reservation up to 48 hours before your pick-up date and time, you will be refunded the whole amount of your reservation. Alternatively, you will be refunded the reservation amount, minus a late cancellation fee of €30+VAT.
    Make sure that you have your no fee credit card at hand in time for the trip.

If you don't have a no fee card at the mo, you can organise a Revolut account in minutes and use the virtual card produced to pay for the rental.
    You'll likely need a CC on arrival. The Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, SAGA Platinum and Post Office Platinum all fit the bill.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 6th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    Best to book via Quidco asap, as you can cancel without charge up to 48 hours before arrival.

Make sure that you have your no fee credit card at hand in time for the trip.

If you don't have a no fee card at the mo, you can organise a Revolut account in minutes and use the virtual card produced to pay for the rental.
    You'll likely need a CC on arrival. The Halifax Clarity, Creation Everyday, SAGA Platinum and Post Office Platinum all fit the bill.
    Will be doing it tonight. Already have the clarity card and nationwide fee free credit card so they will be used.
    Again thanks for the help
    • malky39
    • By malky39 6th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    malky39
    Went through atlas via travelsupermarket for £90, you were correct it was with firefly which i also managed to workout from another comparison site.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 6th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 9,950 Posts
    • 4,185 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Went through atlas via travelsupermarket for £90, you were correct it was with firefly which i also managed to workout from another comparison site.
    I also checked via TravelSupermarket and it still came up with £103 for the Compact.

Aaah...it's dropped down again to £91.

I definitely checked TravelSupermarket earlier. So it's interesting that the price went down and up and down again within a day.

In fact even if you go direct to Atlas without going through TS, it's also lower than it was when I posted at 1.40pm today:

• JimmySave
    • By JimmySave 13th Oct 16, 7:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JimmySave
    Hi pogofish, Hander seems to be asking a relevant question to the topic. I have also seen "Zero Excess" on included rental insurance offerings eg "Included = CDW with Zero Excess". On reading detailed Ts n Cs they say "CDW covers : The amount you pay will be the lower of a) the cost of repair/replacement + loss of use + processing fee; or b) the excess stated on your agreement". So "Zero excess" implies you will not pay anything as zero is lower. But beware caveats saying unless you have caused damage in certain ways e.g. water of fire damage that was your fault or driving without due care and attention" That last one always gets me because if you make a mistake and cause an unintentional accident it seems to me you were driving without due care and attention.

Conclusion: Just as my opinion : Zero Excess seems to be a good thing and avoids the cost of buying excess insurance but be aware of the conditions it won't apply in.
    • JimmySave
    • By JimmySave 13th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JimmySave
    Article item 22 "Pay by credit card". In order to get Section 75 Credit card protection. If you purchase through a comparison site or linked agent (eg Auto Europe) does that invalidate the Section 75 protection (because you are Credit Card paying the agent but your contract of provision is with the rental company)?

Apologies if this has already been answered above - I couldn't find it
    • robbyfine
    • By robbyfine 26th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    robbyfine
    We've recently used euroselfdrive car rental service to take our family trip to Europe. Btw, their price is lower than other car rental services offer. They have a large selection of rentals that were cleaned and ready to be picked
    • gelaqarciva
    • By gelaqarciva 4th Nov 16, 9:20 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gelaqarciva
    Car Rental In Georgia
    I was In Georgia last week , I found there local car rental companny "Qrent" there is the best cars and the best service : +995 571 355553 you can call
    • Daz1949
    • By Daz1949 4th Nov 16, 10:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Daz1949
    Warning car hire in spain
    When hiring a car in Spain DO NOT take the agents insurance or buy your own cover.
    DOYOUSPAIN is not alone in saying they will save you half the cost of the car hire company, but when you arrive at the car hire company SOLMAR in my case they don't accept the insurance & won't give you the car unless you buy their insurance.
    A 60 euro plus 120 euro insurance with DOYOUSPAIN for 3 weeks cost me another 240 euros insurance.
    Of course DOYOUSPAIN insists their insurance is all that is needed & SOLMAR legal will not comment if they accept.
    • ASSJ
    • By ASSJ 8th Nov 16, 3:47 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    ASSJ
    Warning car hire in spain
    You've been had by SOLMAR Daz1949 just read the posts on here, own insurance cover is valid just stick to your guns
    • ciderboy2009
    • By ciderboy2009 15th Nov 16, 9:35 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    ciderboy2009
    You own insurance is valid - you just need to read all of the small print and realise the differences between the insurance from the car hire company and the insurance from DoYouSpan, CarJet etc,

The main difference being that you will be expected to pay the car hire company for any damage which you then claim back from your insurer.

You're also likely to find that the car hire company will want to block a large sum (normally around €1500) on your credit card to cover themselves.
    • hexland
    • By hexland 16th Nov 16, 3:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hexland
    Confused over insurance coverage in UK
    A few months ago, my family and I traveled from US to UK (home to see my parents) and landed at GLA. I had used Expedia to book a car from Europcar, and purchased a supplemental insurance policy from Expedia for CDW/Loss/Theft. I also used my Citibank credit card to purchase the car (which gives me primary coverage apparently).
    Anyway - after 15hrs of flying with a 3yo - I get to GLA and the woman at Europcar refused to give me the car saying that their policy was that they cannot allow a car to leave the lot without Europcar insurance; any other insurance policies are not acceptable. This would have added an additional 28GBP per day (taking my rental price from $400 to $900). I called Expedia but they could do nothing. I ended up spending another 2 hours at the airport trying to book something else... Europcar simply wouldn't budge, and they knew they had me at a disadvantage (being very tired, and having a very tired 3yo clinging to me)

Anyway, I need to fly back to GLA again, and I'm looking at other rental companies... but I'm getting really confused as to what insurances I need (CDW, PLI, Excess, etc)... The US terms I'm used to don't really match some of the ones on the rental sites.
    I started looking at Insurance4carhire and an annual policy (since I'll most likely be returning a couple of more times in the year)...

Do you guys have
    - Any recommendations for rental companies that don't take the !!!! (or warnings for ones not to use)
    - Any recommendations for insurance coverage.

Thank you so much (and sorry if this is too common a n00b question)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,561Posts Today

7,303Users online

Martin's Twitter