Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Aug 08, 6:39 PM
    • 25,322 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 7th Aug 08, 6:39 PM
    • 7th Aug 08, 6:39 PM
    Approx £2 a unit(cubic metre) including sewerage see

http://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/Summary_of_Charges_DL_web.pdf
  • kurjam
    • 8th Nov 08, 10:09 AM
    • 8th Nov 08, 10:09 AM
    so my new meter reading is 109 so will my bill be 109 x £2 total £218 just for 6 months useage??
    • whatatwit
    • By whatatwit 8th Nov 08, 10:15 AM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 15,339 Thanks
    whatatwit
    • 8th Nov 08, 10:15 AM
    • 8th Nov 08, 10:15 AM
    Kurjam, was your meter on Zero when you moved in?

To keep an eye on usage, try reading your meter every week and you will then be able to gauge if 109 units in 6 months is average.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • jscalow
    • 8th Nov 08, 11:38 AM
    • 8th Nov 08, 11:38 AM
    i spend approx £35 pm without a metre, so this seems fairly reasonable.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Nov 08, 5:53 PM
    • 25,322 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Nov 08, 5:53 PM
    • 8th Nov 08, 5:53 PM
    If you have used 109 units(which assumes your meter was at zero) it will be 109 x £2.0321 + Standing charges of approx £17 = £238

If you have a surface water drainage charge it will be another £13 to £40. depending on your type of property. They will probably try and charge you this, but most houses should not pay it as they have a soakaway - search for surface water drainage on this forum
    • harveybobbles
    • By harveybobbles 10th Nov 08, 11:56 AM
    • 8,757 Posts
    • 4,019 Thanks
    harveybobbles
    • 10th Nov 08, 11:56 AM
    • 10th Nov 08, 11:56 AM
    Is there a site to work out which would be best - meter or stay as we are? We pay a set amount each month - £28.

It tastes like bleach. Even when I've had the washing machine on the clothes come out with a slight bleachy smell.

can't drink the pat water either! So I spend a fortune on bottled water for us two and two dogs!
  • kurjam
    • 10th Nov 08, 12:01 PM
    • 10th Nov 08, 12:01 PM
    Kurjam, was your meter on Zero when you moved in?

To keep an eye on usage, try reading your meter every week and you will then be able to gauge if 109 units in 6 months is average.
    Originally posted by whatatwit
    my meter was on 0001 when we moved in as they are new build houses...
    we moved in the beginning of may so it is just over 6 months worth...
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 10th Nov 08, 1:53 PM
    • 25,322 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 10th Nov 08, 1:53 PM
    • 10th Nov 08, 1:53 PM
    Is there a site to work out which would be best - meter or stay as we are? We pay a set amount each month - £28.

It tastes like bleach. Even when I've had the washing machine on the clothes come out with a slight bleachy smell.

can't drink the pat water either! So I spend a fortune on bottled water for us two and two dogs!
    Originally posted by harveybobbles
    The average consumption is 60 cubic metres per person per year - so, obviously, 120 pa for a couple.

Look on the website and see what the charges are for your area and compare with the costs for Rateable Value(RV) charges.

Most couples will be better off unless you have a house with a low RV - normally an old/small property.

You have no problems, as you can change to a meter and if it turns it to be more expensive, you can change back (within 12 months)to your original charging method
  • windra
    I just checked my June 2008 bill..

water supply 115.07p per cubic metre
    used water 78.99p
    used water standing charge £3.42
    drainage £7.97

thats for first 3 months and...
    supply 122.01p per cubic m
    standing charge £5.23
    used water 81.20p per cubic m
    used water staning charge £2.67
    drainage £6.24

Not too sure what standing charges are, but the price per cubic m is clear.

My 6 monthly bill for 3 people was only £123
  • kurjam
    that makes mine about right then as there are 6 of us in my house
  • Magentasue
    Family of six using about 3 units a week paying £35 a month which just about covers it.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 11th Nov 08, 6:50 PM
    • 25,322 Posts
    • 12,083 Thanks
    Cardew
    Family of six using about 3 units a week paying £35 a month which just about covers it.
    Originally posted by Magentasue
    Don't forget that metered water charges vary a huge amount across the country. The SW at over £4 for a cubic metre is over twice as expensive as some other areas.
  • kurjam
    been told i can apply for a watersure scheme, as i have 3 children under 19 and have to use extra water for my son due to medical reasons, so should save some money, as water people told me i will pay no more than £300 per year, so that will save me quite a few pound
  • Magentasue
    Don't forget that metered water charges vary a huge amount across the country. The SW at over £4 for a cubic metre is over twice as expensive as some other areas.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    Yep, been there, paid that ...
  • Jesthar

Harvey, whether or not you stay on a meter, you need to be doing something about the quality your water supply - chances are it should not be tasting like that! Do other houses in the area have these problems?

Check out http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/KeepingSafeAtHome/DG_10014610 for a basic guide to how to get this investigated.

~Jes
  • kurjam
    thanks all for your help, just had my bill from may 1st till nov 8th, family of 6 , bill was £126

thought it was going to be a lot more than that !!!
  • POSSETTE

can you not save money with a Brita? Or does that not work ?:confused:
    TO FINISH LAST, FIRST YOU HAVE TO FINISH....
  • Jesthar
    can you not save money with a Brita? Or does that not work ?:confused:
    Originally posted by POSSETTE
    Excellent idea - hadn't thought about that!

Yes, that may well do the trick - has to be worth a try over buying bottled water! I use one as I am in a hard water area and would kill my kettle on a regular basis if I didn't, but they do also remove impurites like flourine and chlorine, as well as heavy metal traces like lead and iron. Might not be perfect, and of course you have to buy cartridges, but it will be far cheaper than bottled water.

~Jes
    • JasX
    • By JasX 21st Jan 10, 12:01 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 2,505 Thanks
    JasX
    Originally posted by Cardew
    London / thames water is about £1.60 inc sewerage... probably because so much gushes down the thames and floods the place from time to time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @hugorifkind: Arguing that Hitler was a Zionist is like arguing that the slave trade was pro-immigration. Get a grip.

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Morning! In this week's email: Loads of ways to save inc. Urgent Sky £30/mth, M&S 50%, £36off Tesco & Hotpoint wins: ht?

• RT @GMB: Fancy coming on GMB to learn how to save loads on your car insurance with @MartinSLewis? Find out more: https://t.co/B9vQfOliPA

• Follow Martin