Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Avoid Paying For Vodafone Voicemail Retrieval In ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Avoid Paying For Vodafone Voicemail Retrieval In Uk
Closed Thread
Views: 26,738
# 1
svincent2000
Old 31-10-2005, 8:26 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Avoid Paying For Vodafone Voicemail Retrieval In Uk

Hello all,

I've found a way of avoiding paying for voicemail retrieval for Vodafone contract customers while in the UK.

1. Go to www.vodafone.net and sign up for free to get Vodafone Mail (an enhanced voicemail service).

2. Once registered and logged in, you will see what's called your "Fax/Mailbox number" in the top right corner.

3. Instead of dialling 121 for voicemail, set your voicemail number to this "Fax/Mailbox" number. This number is unique for you.

4. Call this mailbox number. It will initially go through to your voicemail message. Press "9". Then enter your PIN (if you don't have one, call Vodafone on 191 to get one set up for free). This will then take you through to the familiar voicemail options.

5. Since this is a mailbox number 07 number, it is included in X-network contract minutes, and so is free!

6. Not only is it free, because you have to enter your PIN, its also secure! And for absolute discretion, you can give people your mailbox number so they can only ever leave voicemail for you, and then you can call them back at your leisure!

Let me know your experiences.
The Following User Says Thank You to svincent2000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
2ax
Old 31-10-2005, 12:48 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Is that a totally separate number, or related to the main one?

On some networks, the VM number is similar, with extra digits inserted - Vodafone Germany has 55 added in the middle, or you call 5500 from the phone itself.
# 3
Mr Skint
Old 31-10-2005, 12:50 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I always thought that voicemail was free for Contract but chargeable for PAYG.
# 4
fonefather
Old 31-10-2005, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

^^^looking at my bills it appears to be taken off your allocated minutes
[fonefather] - If you would like free independent advice about phones feel free to message me.
# 5
pricefighter
Old 01-11-2005, 8:58 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonefather
^^^looking at my bills it appears to be taken off your allocated minutes
Yes the Op does say this see Item 5.
PF.
# 6
svincent2000
Old 23-11-2005, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Yes, calls to this number will come off your allocated inclusive minutes, but this is better than paying additional pence per minute for voicemail retrieval.

Best of all is to take full advantage of www.vodafone.net, which provides free ability to listen to and download voicemail messages.
# 7
ianonline
Old 23-11-2005, 2:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricefighter
Yes the Op does say this see Item 5.
I think fonefather's point was that he is being charged for calls to 121 (in response to Mr Skint's comment).

Given that contract customers are being charged for calls to 121 (and 242 which is the equivalent number for Vodafone Mail), the whole point of using the OP's method is that you can dial an 07.. number to retrieve voicemail which means you can use up your free minutes rather than being charged on top. Presumably, this would only work for PAYG customers if you have bought a "voice pack" and you want to use up your minutes that you have already paid for.

In any event, whether you're on contract or PAYG you can still retrieve your voicemail messages for free via email (either pop3 or webmail) whenever you are at your computer, which means you can save your messages (in wav format) for future reference. Your mailbox number also doubles up as a fax number so that people can send you faxes which are also delivered to your email box (in tiff format) so you can save them and print them off at your leisure.

I can't believe that anyone who is a Vodafone customer would not have a Vodafone mail account as it's free and has many advantages (including the ability to send and receive emails via WAP/GPRS on your mobile phone).
I a n . . . . . (mine's a L A R G E one)

Last edited by ianonline; 25-11-2005 at 2:24 PM.
# 8
kai666
Old 24-11-2005, 5:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

dialling 121 comes out of my inclusive minutes, I thought it did for everyone? In which case what is the difference between dialling 121 and the 07.... number?
# 9
jassi_9
Old 25-11-2005, 1:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OOOOOOK.....THIS ISNT ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE!!??

VINCENT IS TRYING TO TELL U THAT...OUTSIDE YOUR INCLUSIVE MINUTES U WILL GET CHARGED 10p FOR VOICEMAIL RETRIEVAL, BY DIALING 121

IF YOU SET UP, LIKE HE SUGGESTED, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DIAL A NORMAL MOBILE NUMBER (07...ETC).....AND AVOID THE 10 PENCE COST...AND RETRIEVE YOUR VOICEMAIL AT A CHEAPER RATE

ONCE YOUVE USED UP YOUR INCLUSIVE MINUTES, THIS METHOD WILL SAVE YOU PAYING 10p EVERYTIME YOU LISTEN TO A MSG!!!!!!

I BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 YEARS ON VODA PAY AS YOU GO.....AND HAVENT TOPPED UP ONCE IN THAT TIME, EVERYTIME I GET A VOICEMAIL, I JUST USE MY "3" CONTRACT......DIAL THE "07..." NUMBER.......AND ACCESS MY VODA VOICEMAIL FOR FREE
# 10
hoyin
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by svincent2000
Yes, calls to this number will come off your allocated inclusive minutes, but this is better than paying additional pence per minute for voicemail retrieval.

Best of all is to take full advantage of www.vodafone.net, which provides free ability to listen to and download voicemail messages.

I am registered on vodafone.net

But I can't seem to find out how to download my voicemail messages?

Can someone help?

Thanks
# 11
ianonline
Old 02-01-2006, 1:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyin
I am registered on vodafone.net

But I can't seem to find out how to download my voicemail messages?

Can someone help?

Thanks
Once you've logged on to your vodafone.net account you should just be able to click on the voice message and save it as you would any other attachment. If your computer won't let you do this, it may be something to do with your security settings / antivirus / firewall.

If what you're saying is that your voicemial messages aren't being forwarded to your Vodafone Mail account in the first place, then you'll have to take it up with Vodafone to check that they have linked your mobile number to your Vodafone Mail account correctly.

Sorry I can't be any more help
I a n . . . . . (mine's a L A R G E one)

Last edited by ianonline; 02-01-2006 at 1:53 PM.
# 12
lloydrichards
Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to lloydrichards

I'm the oldest payt customer you'll ever meet, LOL
Type in on any handset with any vodafone sim card in : *#104# < This brings up your voicemail number, I use this number to give to those I do not wish to speak to as this number can be dailed from any land line or mobile but only goes through to my voicemail, give it a try, great thing about vodafone is that it rings once first so some one calling the voicemail only number won't even think it's just a number for leaving voicemails.LOL
Obviously you never have to divert to this number from the mobile your sim is in, the divert number is 121 from same sim mobile!
Also voicemail is free on my payt tariff (payt original) with service days, remember those days? I've set up voicemail to call me back too, so whenever I have a voicemail whether I've ignored a call or someone is simply only getting through to voicemail through my seperate voicemail number, I will get a call from 242 which is vodafones call back service I suppose with caller id to boot so ya can save it in ya phonebook to whatever ya like, even have it on a specific ringtone so you know voicemail is calling, works nice for me in my WM5 phone! If you still have an old sim like me, there is loads of benefits to having one, cheaper international calls to other vodafones (really cheap) and better roaming, I never get a loss signal like most other friends on smart step payt or even contract voda friends! 5 GBP (3.00 credit) top-up gives 7 days service, 10 GBP = 21 days (7.50 credit) and 15 GBP = 90 days (Think it's 10.00 credit or ya get the whole 15 too)!
Thanks for listening and if anyone is able to find out where to purchase the old free voicemail payt sims then email me or contact! Thanks, Lloyd R
# 13
lloydrichards
Old 07-05-2009, 12:47 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via MSN to lloydrichards

(three UK) Sim Tech ISP Thought's from Lloyd R
I must say, 'Three Mobile' network is very good on any tariff especially on w-pay where you earn credit for every sms or call you receive! The best thing about 3g network is the free retrieval of emails which voicemails get automatically sent to as well, retrievable from mobiles browser or mobiles email inbox mail software, imap4 is the protocols the use rather than pop3. you can't send emails unless you have credit, it's a good idea to have a 3g mobile and sim for emails on the move, you could divert all hotmail msg's to the 3g email account, I call mine hot3 mail (sounds like pop3 init), LOL! To set up three mail is very easy via a official three mobile via the three services logo button on the three mobile, these web pages from a three mobile are free (in the garden pages) and can easily set up a 3mail.com email account, when you go into mail option from services for the first time it will ask you to enter a username of choice and this will be your username@3mail.com, never miss an email ever again, also keep it topped up and reply to email's fast! Another great way to use this feature effectively, you could have the 'three' sim in a large storage mobile and use as an email attachment device, and have it mapped to your network or storage pc at home, mobile could be hidden and constantly on charge, synced to a pc via cable but bluetooth would be better, wifi would be securer using an ad-hoc connection and a key higher than wep like wpa also having it on hidden ssid too, all this could avoid you having to log into emails using usernames and passwords that anyone around can guess, see or simply dig up from your cookies! All emails can be routed to your three network sim, I think many email providers like msn ect cost's money to divert emails to another email, as far as I know I have a msn.com email account and it's so old I get the option to divert emails to another email but in many newer msn.co.uk, hotmail.com, hotmail.co.uk, live.com, live.co.uk accounts have not got the feature to divert, you have to upgrade to a premium hotmail account!
Ps. All ISP's and Brand Products not only rely on but appreciate Loyalty of customers especially when your noticed for using their services for more than a decade! LOL
Closed Thread