Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 6th Aug 08, 5:49 PM
    • 5,225 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 6th Aug 08, 5:49 PM
    • 6th Aug 08, 5:49 PM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
  • h00tsman
    • 9th Jun 09, 2:38 PM
    • 9th Jun 09, 2:38 PM
    Hi,

I visit Turkey alot and the best way by far for you is take your Serling with you and change it all in one of there post offices..

You will geta far better rate than here.
  • pammyj74
    • 19th Jun 10, 10:35 AM
    • 19th Jun 10, 10:35 AM
    I'm going to Turkey in a couple of weeks and it worries me to not take any curreny with me, does anyone know where to get a good rate at the moment. I am looking at around 2.25 at the moment.

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ 82,377 Dec 13 ~ 29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
  • MoneySavingMacca
    • 19th Jun 10, 12:11 PM
    • 19th Jun 10, 12:11 PM
    Anyone who has been to Turkey and changed money there is it really better to get money there?

I often hear people quoting prices that are above the spot rate, that can't be right surely? They would be making a loss.

Can anyone confirm this?
    • Becles
    • By Becles 19th Jun 10, 1:40 PM
    • 12,752 Posts
    • 25,347 Thanks
    Becles
    • 19th Jun 10, 1:40 PM
    • 19th Jun 10, 1:40 PM
    Yes it's cheaper to change money there. Make sure it's English notes as they don't seem to like Scottish money.

We usually get a few Lira here just in case, then change the rest of our money when we get out there. As well as banks and change shops, you can change money in various other shops, restarants, jewellers etc. Most places have a board outside, so you can walk up and down and look for the best deal.

Don't forget your crisp 10 English note each for travelling. You need to buy a visa when you enter the country which costs 10. They don't give change, or take a 20 for two people, and they don't like Scottish notes either.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • pammyj74
    • 19th Jun 10, 2:03 PM
    • 19th Jun 10, 2:03 PM
    thanks, is that visa for children as well?

I think i will get some here as I found thomas cook is 2.2 and the best I have found at the moment and will take english notes to get more out there.

• MoneySavingMacca
    • 19th Jun 10, 2:12 PM
    • 19th Jun 10, 2:12 PM
    Thanks for that Beccles, can you say what rate you were getting over there compared to the UK?
    • Becles
    • By Becles 19th Jun 10, 6:23 PM
    • 12,752 Posts
    • 25,347 Thanks
    Becles
    • 19th Jun 10, 6:23 PM
    • 19th Jun 10, 6:23 PM
    We were getting around 2.28 in the resort. The currency I changed at Thomas Cook was less than that, but I can't remember how much it was.

Yes you need the visa for children too. Even babies need one!

Also don't buy any food or drink at the Turkish airport as the prices are really really expensive. Eg: 10 for a McDonalds/KFC meal, around 5 for a cup of tea or coffee, 4 for a can of Coke.

We arrived at the airport at lunchtime, so we bought sandwiches and drinks at the supermarket in the resort, and ate them in the check-in hall. They have the same restrictions as the UK for liquids and all water and pop had to be given up at passport control, although you can take food through if you want to.
  • pammyj74
    Thanks for the info, its really helpful. I didnt know you could take food through and last time we were scoffing oursselves before we went through. this time I will take some food so we can eat on the plane!

I have read that you need to go to the less tourist places to get a great rate so somewhere near the market or something

• Becles
    • By Becles 19th Jun 10, 11:43 PM
    • 12,752 Posts
    • 25,347 Thanks
    Becles
    People in the resort told us we could get better rates in Fethiye which was the nearest working city to where we were staying. However we had no plans to go there, so by the time you factored in time and bus fares, it was probably just as cheap to change money in the resort.
    • smnb08
    • By smnb08 20th Jun 10, 12:23 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    smnb08
    off to lara beach on tuesday.have changed a bit of money to take but was just wondering if there are cash machines you can draw your money out of?
    went to belek last year and although i did use my card to pay for a couple of bits i never saw one cash machine!
    sealed pot challenge member #920
  • naomievans4
    I have just purchased 203.95 worth of Lira from Thomas Cook online at the exchange rate of 2.25, this results in 460 Turkish Lira, there was no charge for buying online but they do charge 4.99 delivery, i ordered on friday and was delivered saturday morning.....................hope this helps some of you
  • superpp
    Turkey is a place that loves to get hard currency.
    Most shops offer money exchange which betters the banks.
    We usually take enough lira for the first day and rest in sterling and exchange as we go along.
  • pammyj74
    I bought from Thomas Cook today at 2.249 which was the best in my town centre. have purchased half my spending money and will take the rest in sterling.

• joolesi
    hi im off to Turkey tomorrow, just bought 206 pounds worth at 2.2310 from Tesco and it gave me 460 Lira... hope this helps..
  • bobbyboy99
    I'm going to Turkey in a couple of weeks and it worries me to not take any curreny with me, does anyone know where to get a good rate at the moment. I am looking at around 2.25 at the moment.
    Originally posted by pammyj74
    i go every year and i get about 500pounds from my main post office the rate is at 2.50 you can go on line order your money it comes by recored delevirery but you cant order less than 500 i think it will cost 5pounds and is very safe as i have been getting mine every year for the 6 years good luck
  • joolsdi
    HI there, I'm going to Turkey in a few weeks, is this advice still current as I'm wondering whether to get my Lira before we go. Any help much appreciated. Many thanks.
  • feelingblue
    I am going on 3rd August - I have also heard better in resort but I have had 2.56 exchange rate from Tesco (cash - therefore no commission or bank charges). Then recently ordered from Travelex on their sale hour and got 2.67 (roughly) and delivered free next day. 2.25 seems a bit low to me. I used the moneysavingexpert exchange rate thingy posted earlier. If you look on the turkey forums on trip advisor there is lots of advice but a word of warning - some people have been scammed - even at banks etc i.e 10 or 20 lira missing. I chose to change here because of that and because I don't want to waste time 'shopping' around when on holiday.Also, if you pre-order and pick up your currency at the airport travelex give a better rate - don't wait til you get to airport - it will be lower. All on Martins travel money page.HTH - have a great hol x
    • stephb34
    • By stephb34 22nd Jul 11, 6:33 PM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    stephb34
    2.25 was in june 2010, old post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

1,159Users online

Martin's Twitter