Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Double Glazing - K Glass or Planitherm? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Double Glazing - K Glass or Planitherm?
Closed Thread
Views: 30,714
# 1
gundo
Old 04-08-2008, 10:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Double Glazing - K Glass or Planitherm?

I'm looking at getting double glazing. Most of the quotes have specified Pilkington K glass but one guy recommends "Planitherm". He reckons the U value is better and there's less discolouration (K glass has a reputation for making nets look grubby due to a slight tinting effect). Personally I don't care re appearance I just want the best glass. Anyone know what's best? The DG guy says that Planitherm and K glass are the same price and he stresses how much better Planitherm is than K glass and that I'll regret getting K glass.
Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.
# 2
thebaldwindowfitter
Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

planitherm does have a better u value and is made by st gobaine which is frances equivellent of pilkingtons .they also do a lot of glass for motor trade
# 3
McAzrael
Old 05-08-2008, 7:03 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I prefer Planitherm - better insulation, clear (K is blue) and cheaper. But I shouldn't obsess over it, the difference is slight.
# 4
littlesos
Old 05-08-2008, 2:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAzrael View Post
I prefer Planitherm - better insulation, clear (K is blue) and cheaper. But I shouldn't obsess over it, the difference is slight.
K-glass is clear too, are you thinking of Activ-Blue, which is as the name suggests blue. Activ blue is the self-cleaning, insulating glass you find in conservatory roofs, although pilkington now make a clear version now.
# 5
ih8stress
Old 05-08-2008, 2:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundo View Post
I'm looking at getting double glazing. Most of the quotes have specified Pilkington K glass but one guy recommends "Planitherm". He reckons the U value is better and there's less discolouration (K glass has a reputation for making nets look grubby due to a slight tinting effect). Personally I don't care re appearance I just want the best glass. Anyone know what's best? The DG guy says that Planitherm and K glass are the same price and he stresses how much better Planitherm is than K glass and that I'll regret getting K glass.
I am currently having trouble with the glass on a dining room window - see this thread:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....html?t=741801

I am about to check with my window fitter if the glass I have IS Pilkington K but would advise you to try and find out as much as possible for both options you have before deciding.

My fitter never mentioned this beforehand, otherwise I may have checked this forum and elsewhere earlier.

HTH
# 6
thebaldwindowfitter
Old 05-08-2008, 8:05 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

k glass actually has a green tint to it .planitherm has a blue tint(very faint)
# 7
McAzrael
Old 05-08-2008, 8:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesos View Post
K-glass is clear too, are you thinking of Activ-Blue, which is as the name suggests blue. Activ blue is the self-cleaning, insulating glass you find in conservatory roofs, although pilkington now make a clear version now.
I can assure you that K glass is not clear.
# 8
simcla
Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Planitherm is a "softcoat", Pilkington 'K' is a "hardcoat". Softcoated glass is better at reducing heat loss, and generally offers less visual distortion than hardcoated glass. Pilkington 'K' is a "brand" in the UK where as Saint Gobain Planitherm isn't, but I would go with the Planitherm and I work for a company that installs windows. Pilkingtons make a softcoat glass, ask how much that would be in relation to Planitherm! The suppliers are not trying to pull a fast one!

Last edited by simcla; 05-08-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Closed Thread