Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • saintscouple
    • By saintscouple 4th Aug 08, 6:38 PM
    • 3,844Posts
    • 2,916Thanks
    saintscouple
    Poundland Bargain Thread -
    • 4th Aug 08, 6:38 PM
    Poundland Bargain Thread - 4th Aug 08 at 6:38 PM
    Quick note from MoneySavingExpert.com

If you've just come from the tip, below is a discussion by forum regulars to collate the hottest mega-bargains currently on offer at Poundland. This discussion has been going for a while, so click on the last page of the discussion to see the most up-to-date deals.

Current top deals

Current top deals include
    £1 iPod speakers, Aveeno face cream (RRP £12) & Neutrogena Cleansing Cushions (£4).
    Find your nearest Poundland.

More discount store bargains

Wilkinsons | B&M Bargains | Home Bargains

Huge thanks to saintscouple and all the MoneySavers who contributed to this thread for their amazing work.

Now back to the original post …

Seeing as the old thread was some 18 months old, I thought it best to start a new thread to keep the finds valid.

For reference the old thread can be found HERE.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 2:15 PM.
Page 351
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 18th Nov 17, 10:33 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Still no camera access but I managed to pick up this from Argyle Street, Glasgow - NYC Skin Matching Foundation, 691 Honey Light.
    Picture from a Czech blogger Makeupalley seems to hate it, though - d'oh.

And I managed to rummage down the back of the hanging strip pack makeup display, a Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain was there in Parisian Passion. I'd never wear that colour in a million years (would make me look too pale!), but think my teenage niece will like it.
    Last edited by LouLou; 19-11-2017 at 2:29 AM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Nov 17, 7:00 PM
    • 24,195 Posts
    • 50,865 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I was after India Intrigue so will keep looking
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    No luck, but I picked up Barcelona Nights which was the next nearest shade.

I've tried both shades and am pleased with the product. I applied two layers in quick succession and that gave a nice colour, and not an overly dark-and-jammy effect that the pics in the blog show. Its moisturising, and doesn't feel sticky in the way that lip gloss does. I'll readily use this instead of my usual lipsticks, so for £1 I'm happy.

BUT: its worth noting that the product is either old or has been rejected from the production line. Both the ones I bought had a very slight graininess that I guess a recently or perfectly manufactured item wouldn't have.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 19th Nov 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 23,252 Thanks
    MMF007
    Picked up 6 pale grey plastic baskets, approx 4" x 7", two for £1.
    Will fit 2 HM jars of preserves in, with a bit of shred and some cello wrap for xmas gifts
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 28th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Still phone-less/camera-less (but on the bright side, makes it easier for others to scroll through the thread!).

Trongate, Glasgow, earlier - Shopkins 2018 Annual.

And "Amazing Value" Crazy Beans, Assorted Fruit Flavour Beans 500g - they also had Cream Rocks (liquorice tubes with white filling), apparently Liquorice Allsorts big bags are out there too https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/liquorice-allsorts-500g-or-klene-liquorice-bag-250g-only-100-poundland-2843050
    Last edited by LouLou; 28-11-2017 at 8:54 PM.
    • ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 1st Dec 17, 1:06 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    ladybabe
    had these in Sheffield centre

http://www.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/nivea-lip-butter-blueberry-blush-16-7g-tin-14321.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4Cj0s7n1wIVxp3tCh0yG QkQEAQYAiABEgK_aPD_BwE

this was in £2 section

https://www.justmylook.co.uk/w7-cosmetics-in-the-night-smoky-shades-12-colour-eyeshadow-palette-p6837
    There are people so poor that the only thing they have is money
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 3rd Dec 17, 3:44 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Revlon Balm Stain sticks in Sauchiehall Street and Argyle Street, Glasgow at the moment (got Shades 055 Adore, 030 Smitten, 065 Irresistible, 220 Showy - which is Matte) there's also a Corally/peachy colour but I didn't buy that one.

Maybelline Be Brilliant! Lash Candy 6.9ml (some sort of glittery mascara top coat, good for the festive season) - was in Argyle Street.

Goody Simple Styles hair accessories (Light Hair or Dark Hair options) in Sauchiehall Street:

Volume Boost, Bun Spiral and Fountain Flip.

https://img.makeupalley.com/fb/7_7_8_8_2140001.JPG
    https://www.valuevalet.ca/images/upc/z/435776.JPG

(Didn't add all images as they take up too much space, but so you know what to look out for).
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 3rd Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 24,195 Posts
    • 50,865 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    What do you think of the bun spiral?

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 4th Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Saw a few more annuals in Argyle Street, Glasgow: The Emoji Movie 2018, Minecraft Tips & Cheats 2018, Animal Jam 2018 and Shopkins (again).

About their Calendars - every year I buy boyf the Doctor Who Calendar, Poundland aren't doing it this year (boo).

@VfM4meplse: Bought the Goody accessories for my niece, I'm afraid.
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 5th Dec 17, 5:02 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Don't know if Poundland are being passive-aggressive or I'm having a sense of humour failure This is from their Facebook Feed an hour ago:

"Tell your mates if they sell our £1 decorations for £4 again, they’re toast....Also, marmalade is so overrated." (I know it's about Marmite, but...) https://www.facebook.com/Poundland/videos/10159726621995397/

Three hours ago there was this: https://www.facebook.com/Poundland/photos/a.10150207274165397.437048.14813960396/10159727191560397/?type=3&theater

...obviously, they're not exactly the same....but both options are nice decorations.
    Last edited by LouLou; 05-12-2017 at 6:57 PM.
    • Violetta
    • By Violetta 6th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 3,534 Posts
    • 5,368 Thanks
    Violetta
    Thanks LouLou picked up a few of the Revlon colourburst lip crayons in the Dundee store, was even more chuffed when I spotted them in the superdrug next door for £7.99! Didn't see any goody hair stuff, the brand is usually excellent I've had several brilliant "ouchless" hairbrushes from them & their hairbands are great, that hair bun thing looks a bit too fiddly though. For pinning a bun I'd recommend the twisty hair pins, poundland have them in the allura range, just twist them into the bun and they keep it in place really well.
    Booo!!!
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 7th Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 4,233 Thanks
    dlusman
    Avoid the Toblerone rip-offs they have in store at the moment called "Twin Peaks". I thought the chocolate was very hard and very poor flavour. Worth paying a bit more for the proper stuff -
    Twin Peaks £1 for 180g
    Toblerone £1 for 150g
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 7th Dec 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Avoid the Toblerone rip-offs they have in store at the moment called "Twin Peaks". I thought the chocolate was very hard and very poor flavour. Worth paying a bit more for the proper stuff -
    Twin Peaks £1 for 180g
    Toblerone £1 for 150g
    Originally posted by dlusman
    My local Poundland(s) have Toblerones in - it's a bit of a tradition that I put one in with my brother's Xmas pressie every year.

Was tempted to try Twin Peaks but my experience of Poundland's own-brand chocolate hasn't been good - awful, in fact, and that's what influenced my purchase of old faithful.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 7th Dec 17, 5:57 PM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    minimad1970
    My local Poundland(s) have Toblerones in - it's a bit of a tradition that I put one in with my brother's Xmas pressie every year.

Was tempted to try Twin Peaks but my experience of Poundland's own-brand chocolate hasn't been good - awful, in fact, and that's what influenced my purchase of old faithful.
    Originally posted by LouLou
    Poundland's version of Minstrels are better in my opinion. I've not tried Twin Peaks although I do love a Toblerone.
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 7th Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    Twin Peaks £1 for 180g
    Toblerone £1 for 150g
    Originally posted by dlusman

I bought a Twin Peaks today and once it warmed to room temperature it was fine. Was rock hard when I first came back from shopping but it was 0° outside today! I used to love Toblerone until Mondelez got their hands on it and changed the recipe/quality. I have to say that I enjoyed the Twin Peaks and it's so long since I had a decent Toblerone that I couldn't taste the difference. If I was to try them both at the same time I may be able to pinpoint a difference but on the whole I couldn't fault Twin Peaks.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 7th Dec 17, 10:47 PM
    • 6,415 Posts
    • 19,308 Thanks
    Doc N

You might be surprised.

Toblerone's made by Mondelez these days, and inevitably they've cheapened it to such a point that it's barely recognisable as a chocolate product - a greasy sort of concoction.

The Poundland product tastes better - and it's actually got a slightly higher cocoa solids content.

Given the two in a taste test I'd reckon most people would think that the Toblerone was the impostor - maybe that's why Mondelez were so keen to stop it getting onto the shelves. I've bought my last ever Toblerone now!
    • ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 8th Dec 17, 1:18 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    ladybabe
    You might be surprised.

Toblerone's made by Mondelez these days, and inevitably they've cheapened it to such a point that it's barely recognisable as a chocolate product - a greasy sort of concoction.

The Poundland product tastes better - and it's actually got a slightly higher cocoa solids content.

Given the two in a taste test I'd reckon most people would think that the Toblerone was the impostor - maybe that's why Mondelez were so keen to stop it getting onto the shelves. I've bought my last ever Toblerone now!
    Originally posted by Doc N

i feel the same about aldi chocolate against cadburys, aldi far superior and higher cocoa and lower fat
    There are people so poor that the only thing they have is money
    • catswiththumbs
    • By catswiththumbs 8th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    catswiththumbs
    i feel the same about aldi chocolate against cadburys, aldi far superior and higher cocoa and lower fat
    Originally posted by ladybabe

Cadbury - another one Mondelez got their hands on and ruined.
    • LouLou
    • By LouLou 10th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    Was quickly in Argyle Street before closing last night - they have Clover* or Utterly Butterly 500g for £1 (not too bad, though I preferred it when they sold Country Life Butter 250g - the price of butter has skyrocketed lately)!

Found the Ping Pong Set mentioned on HUKD ages ago, at the Xmas section (smaller than I thought, hanging from a display).

Also there are the rude "What A Bunch Of C*cks" or "What A Bunch Of Pr*cks" mugs, in various other charming mottos too. Mentioned on their Facebook yesterday!! https://www.facebook.com/Poundland/videos/10159744131320397/

A sachet of Garnier Skin Active PureActive Self-Heating Sauna Mask (with Eucalyptus Extract + Zinc + Salicyclic Acid) - twin pack 2 x 6ml (sachet rips in half, not that visible in this picture).

Turns out there's a similar one on Superdrug for £1.29 (!) https://www.superdrug.com/2-for-%C2%A35-on-selected-Garnier/Pure-Active-Self-Heating-Clay-Mask-for-Oily-Skin-2-x-6ml/p/125113 so, not bargain of the century. Thought it would be useful for my niece who has skin breakouts.

Succumbed to my lemming urges and bought a Twin Peaks bar - let's see what I think.

Edit: Oh, and there was one annual I missed out from this store - Despicable Me 3 Annual 2018.

Another Edit: Twin Peaks is actually pretty nice (and I'm quite fussy about chocolate!) - made by Walkers Chocolate. The original packaging (that Mondelez threw the book at them over, and delayed its launch) was like this http://i3.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article13203470.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/poundland.jpg

The chocolate of Poundland's (not sure who makes this) that's disgusting is this, "Sweet Heaven" chocolate (only tried the Milk variety)

*Clover is £1 in Tesco for 500g at the moment, too - though I much prefer real butter
    Last edited by LouLou; 10-12-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Dec 17, 5:33 PM
    • 24,195 Posts
    • 50,865 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    The chocolate of Poundland's (not sure who makes this) that's disgusting is this, "Sweet Heaven" chocolate (only tried the Milk variety)
    Agreed with bells on. Should be illegal to sell it.

Am inclined to try the Twin Peaks though. For just £1 it’s worth it, but I take the tip about room temp on board.

• LouLou
    • By LouLou 10th Dec 17, 10:10 PM
    • 1,741 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    LouLou
    From Argyle Street, Glasgow earlier: Grafix Weird Science Science Activity Sets (The Mad Scientist, Glow Lab, The Perfume Lab, Stink Bomb), 2 Mad Experiments In Each Box, 8+ Years (didn't buy the Stink Bomb Set).

*Those* "Mug Off" mugs (there's also a "Merry Christmas You Filthy Animal" and "Merry Elfin' Christmas", can't remember the rest!)

Re the "Sweet Heaven" (or Sweet Hell, depending on your opinion) Milk Chocolate - it's one of the few bars I've ever thrown away. Mind you, Hershey's "chocolate" bars are similarly grotty.
    Last edited by LouLou; 11-12-2017 at 3:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,093Posts Today

7,382Users online

Martin's Twitter