Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > 17 and pregnant - entitled to any benefits? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
17 and pregnant - entitled to any benefits?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,809
# 1
lipsthefish
Old 03-08-2008, 7:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default 17 and pregnant - entitled to any benefits?

My neice has just found out that she's pregnant. She is 17 and attends college and gets the ema grant. She lives at home with her parents who are on benefits. Will she be entitled to any benefits when she has the baby. She intends to keep going to college.

Thanks in advance for any help
# 2
smellybeki
Old 03-08-2008, 7:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

when i was preg with my first back in 2002,i still lived at home with parents and was entitled to income support when bubs was born.also got the surestart maternity grant (was 500 then) midwife will have a form for this.
does she work? if so if she doesnt qualify for maternity pay through her boss she should get statutary maternity pay.
maybe pop down to local benefits office and see what they say
The Following User Says Thank You to smellybeki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
sineadgraham
Old 03-08-2008, 9:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellybeki View Post
when i was preg with my first back in 2002,i still lived at home with parents and was entitled to income support when bubs was born.also got the surestart maternity grant (was 500 then) midwife will have a form for this.
does she work? if so if she doesnt qualify for maternity pay through her boss she should get statutary maternity pay.
maybe pop down to local benefits office and see what they say
If someone doesnt work they are not entitled to statutory maternity pay but maternity allowance but they will only receive maternity allowance if they have worked 13 weeks in the last 65 weeks( or thereabouts).other than that if they dont qualify for either they will need to seek guidance from the job centre who will be able to advise.( i didnt work long enough for my employer so wasnt entitled to SMP but got maternity allowance as i had worked 13 weeks out of 65 weeks).
The Following User Says Thank You to sineadgraham For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
rammy007
Old 03-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Healthy start vouchers http://www.healthystart.nhs.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to rammy007 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jul22
Old 04-08-2008, 7:10 AM
MoneySaving Convert

She may be entitled to Income Support within 11 weeks of her due date providing no one is receiving Child Benefit & Child Tax Credit for her.
I'm not sure if she could receive it whilst attending college though - my brain isn't working this morning!!
If/when she makes her claim for IS if she provides her MatB1 (which should be provided by her Midwife to confirm pregnancy) then her claim will go through smoothly (in theory!) and she should receive any money she may be entitled to considerably earlier! The rate for U18's is about 45 per week.
The Following User Says Thank You to jul22 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Sally87
Old 04-08-2008, 7:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I was 17 when I got pregnant with my son and I had to go on benefits - I claimed JSA until I was 29 weeks, then went onto Income Support. This was very low to begin with, but went up a bit when I turned 18 a month before I had the baby. I also got the Sure Start Maternity Grant (I think you can claim from 29 weeks until 3 months after the baby is born, and you can claim as long as you're over 16), which is £500 and was a godsend. Also had the milk tokens while pregnant.

Good luck to your niece.

EDIT - I just noticed the bit about her parents being on benefits - in that case, as she is under 18 and in full-time education, they are probably claiming for her as a child (child benefit for example can be payed up till the child is 16, or 18 if in education). If that is the case, I'm not sure if she'd actually be able to claim anything. Probably best for her to go to the CAB and find out.

Last edited by Sally87; 04-08-2008 at 7:41 PM.
# 7
mummytofour
Old 05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I dont think you can get IS and EMA. I got ALG last yr which is the grow-up version of EMA and I was not allowed to claim IS ( not that I needed too!).
Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
# 8
DreamerV
Old 05-08-2008, 7:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If her parents get tax credits for her, they can add her baby (when born) onto their award, or alternatively her parents can take her off their award, and she can claim tax credits for her baby in her own right (even if she lives with them still). You only need to be 16+ to claim tax credits if you have a child with you.
# 9
Gemmzie
Old 06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytofour View Post
I dont think you can get IS and EMA. I got ALG last yr which is the grow-up version of EMA and I was not allowed to claim IS ( not that I needed too!).
Yeah you can if you're estranged from your parents. Living alone with your baby counts as estrangement in most cases.
ALG is different, not really sure why. Probably because a 16-19 year old is more vulnerable.
No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
# 10
c.warren44
Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool 17 and Pregnant - Benefit advice needed

Hi everyone,
I am 18 and my partner is 17, We live together at my parents home, I have been on Jobseeker's Allowance for 8 Months having left my Job earlier in the year, However my partner is not receiving any money from anywhere, We went to the Jobcentre before we found out that she was expecting and they said that she is not entitled to Income Support of JSA because her mum can still claim Child Benefit for her until the Extension period ends, However this ends on 13.12.10 and after this she would be getting no money at all, just the single JSA payment that I get every 2 weeks, Now that she is pregnant and her mother will soon be not receiving and money for her, is there any benefits that she may be entitled to?
We know that she can go on Income Support once she reaches 29 weeks of pregnancy, but other than that we don't know anything else, would be grateful for any advice, if you're going to comment and be rude - save yourself the effort.
# 11
tomitma
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.warren44 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am 18 and my partner is 17, We live together at my parents home, I have been on Jobseeker's Allowance for 8 Months having left my Job earlier in the year, However my partner is not receiving any money from anywhere, We went to the Jobcentre before we found out that she was expecting and they said that she is not entitled to Income Support of JSA because her mum can still claim Child Benefit for her until the Extension period ends, However this ends on 13.12.10 and after this she would be getting no money at all, just the single JSA payment that I get every 2 weeks, Now that she is pregnant and her mother will soon be not receiving and money for her, is there any benefits that she may be entitled to?
We know that she can go on Income Support once she reaches 29 weeks of pregnancy, but other than that we don't know anything else, would be grateful for any advice, if you're going to comment and be rude - save yourself the effort.

Grow up, and show you are old enough to support anyone having a baby, by getting a JOB. and stop being so RUDE.,
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tomitma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
thorsoak
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,
You started a thread of your own ...you didn't like the responses so you pulled it ...do you expect the answers to be different here?

Why, oh why, if so many teenagers must go paddling, will they not keep their boots on!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thorsoak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
mitch161
Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

there a couple posters with similar situations mother to be is still a teenager.

well the benefits you get for being a mother are a few giggles, a few chuckles, a few sleepless nights and lots of dirty nappies..

breast feeding is free, so the only costs to a new mother are baby clothes..

grandparents of the baby to be. you know what you daughter needs for christmas, baby socks and bibs.

asda are doing a offer of free nappies for every houswhold who fills in a form.. get all your college friends to do this.. then you will have a years supply of nappies

stop thinking about the baby to be as a monetary income.. its a bundle of joy.

your staying in college which means no JSA your under 18 and living with parents soi would say live on you and your childs, child allowance. until 18 then get IS or just prove you made a responsible decision by not wearing protection to not ask for benefits.

dont use the baby as a 'get me rich quick' scheme.. babies dont cost as much as you think to raise

if you want to pamper your baby in top class clothing at just one month old, get a job.
# 14
wilykit
Old 05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Hi everyone,
haha i see you have tried a different tactic of hijacking somebody else's post but you got the same response!

ask yourself how YOU can support your baby, not how OTHER people can help and what benefits you think you are 'entitled' to.
The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs.

Mummy to Bully the English Bull Terrier!

I my EBT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilykit For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Indie Kid
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch161 View Post
your staying in college which means no JSA your under 18 and living with parents soi would say live on you and your childs, child allowance. until 18 then get IS or just prove you made a responsible decision by not wearing protection to not ask for benefits.
Why would a healthy couple who don't care for a disabled person be entitled to IS?
Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - 75.29 banked
50p saver #40 20 banked
Virtual sealed pot #178 80.25
The Following User Says Thank You to Indie Kid For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
paddedjohn
Old 14-12-2010, 6:21 AM

People should be means tested before they are allowed to breed! You cant afford it you cant have it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddedjohn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Kimitatsu
Old 14-12-2010, 6:52 AM

Thread closed - OP please start a new thread if you would like a response.

Paddedjohn if you have nothing constructive to add then please think before posting
Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kimitatsu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread