IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
boiler keeps cutting out ?????????????
Closed Thread
Views: 12,876
# 1
john0612
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default boiler keeps cutting out ?????????????

ever since we came back from holiday last week , our boiler and water were switched off btw, it keeps cutting out when i put it on.

we have no hot water now unless the heating is on, but it's clicks on for a few seconds then cuts out. The boiler is working because it is warm to touch , but it doesn't heat the rads and water now.

it sometimes works but i can't leave the heating on all day and night in this heat.

it's potterton netaheat and it's been in here since we've been here (5yrs) and probably a while before that.

dredding phoning somone out as i don't have a blank cheque book
# 2
Paparika
Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Possible lack of water pressure in the system? I'm no expert, but I remember having a similar issue when the water pressure fell below 1 Bar - easy enough to remedy, in the boiler you should see the pressure gauge and somewhere nearby should be a small screw that can be opened up to allow more water into the system - close the screw when the pressure reaches the system optimum.

A manual for your specific model should be here: http://www.gotoplumbing.co.uk/findam...atid=3146&pg=4
Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?

If my spelling is bad, it means I am having a fibro fog day, and not something you should be bullying me about.
# 3
uberalles
Old 01-08-2008, 1:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by john0612 View Post
ever since we came back from holiday last week , our boiler and water were switched off btw, it keeps cutting out when i put it on.

we have no hot water now unless the heating is on, but it's clicks on for a few seconds then cuts out. The boiler is working because it is warm to touch , but it doesn't heat the rads and water now.

it sometimes works but i can't leave the heating on all day and night in this heat.

it's potterton netaheat and it's been in here since we've been here (5yrs) and probably a while before that.

dredding phoning somone out as i don't have a blank cheque book
I am far from an expert but have chosen in the last 3 months to do a bit of fault finding on my boiler.

I had the same problem, albeit with an oil boiler. First I thought of the water pressure but this did not cure the fault.
I then paid attention to what is called, I think, a Thermoswitch which on my boiler rests on the back of the control box/panel.
It is basically a little pop out switch which I understand pops out to stop the boiler firing when it believes the right temperature is reached.
Because the temperature had not been reached then I simply pressed the button in to reignite it until satisfied.

I will say that I only trust doing what I do whilst I require only a 10 minute burst to get hot water. I would not do it in the winter where I will require the boiler to be on for much of the day.

Also, I believe that the fault itself is indicating that I may have a faulty thermostat giving dodgy temperature readings.

Finally, I will say the problem appears to have remedied itself over the last couple of weeks.

Good luck.
# 4
k1rkyc
Old 01-08-2008, 3:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparika View Post
Possible lack of water pressure in the system? I'm no expert, but I remember having a similar issue when the water pressure fell below 1 Bar - easy enough to remedy, in the boiler you should see the pressure gauge and somewhere nearby should be a small screw that can be opened up to allow more water into the system - close the screw when the pressure reaches the system optimum.

A manual for your specific model should be here: http://www.gotoplumbing.co.uk/findam...atid=3146&pg=4
I've just had the same thing on my boiler and mines now knackered at first I thought it was the pressure - added more water to the system and took the pressure up to 2.... still no joy! If I put hot water on, the boiler would just make loads of clicking sounds and flash like a Christmas Tree.
The plumber says it's the PC board inside the boiler that's gone on mine so I'm going to get a new one, which one, I don't know lol

It sounds like you need to calla plumber. Mine didn't charge me anything to have a look which was decent of him Good luck.
# 5
Razor
Old 01-08-2008, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If the boiler is firing and going out a couple of minutes later you should check your pump, if the heat cant get away the boiler will shut itself down.
Closed Thread