Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 31st Jul 08, 6:04 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 31st Jul 08, 6:04 PM
    • 31st Jul 08, 6:04 PM
    Depends of where you are, western Europe, maybe.
    Also, it can take ages for the sim updates to get to you if your out of the country, its always better to get it done before you leave.
    • Vampiric Addiction
    • By Vampiric Addiction 31st Jul 08, 7:08 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 2,869 Thanks
    Vampiric Addiction
    • 31st Jul 08, 7:08 PM
    • 31st Jul 08, 7:08 PM
    to be honest, if you're already out of the country i wouldnt bother even calling as its pretty likely not to work - the phone cant get a signal where you are (as it doesnt have roaming) and that is what it needs to receive the sim update for roaming.
    On the up
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • dontplayfair
    • 18th Sep 08, 10:08 AM
    • 18th Sep 08, 10:08 AM
    According to Orange price guide it is free from anywhere in the world. I've just asked the customer service lady and she confirmed it.

to download the Orange price guide, just google "orange price guide" and it will take you right through to it.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Sep 08, 10:44 AM
    • 28,643 Posts
    • 12,984 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 18th Sep 08, 10:44 AM
    • 18th Sep 08, 10:44 AM
    It may be free to call, but if you aren't set up to roam, how will it connect?
  • japitts
    • 9th Nov 08, 2:47 PM
    • 9th Nov 08, 2:47 PM
    Yes 150 is free to call from an Orange PAYM phone - period. From the UK or abroad.

As for setting up roaming, yes it's easier to do it before leaving the country but quite possible to do once overseas. Your phone doesn't need the SIM updates in order to connect to a foreign network - that is something setup on the network itself.

So the normal sequence of events would be...

Roaming activated on account, SIM Updates received and account updated.

If you're abroad already..

Roaming activated, potentially a 24hour (but most likely within 2) wait for activation to be complete, attach to foreign network, receive SIM Updates.

It's messier and a lot of CSRs may say "sorry, no can do". It's not the ideal order to do things, but can be done.

Cheers
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 9th Nov 08, 2:56 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 9th Nov 08, 2:56 PM
    • 9th Nov 08, 2:56 PM
    Yes 150 is free to call from an Orange PAYM phone - period. From the UK or abroad.

It's messier and a lot of CSRs may say "sorry, no can do". It's not the ideal order to do things, but can be done.

Cheers
    Originally posted by japitts
    It can be done, but it fails more often than not (I was one of those CSR's). The sim updates don't always get there.
    I'd advise it's always better to get it done before you travel...
  • japitts
    • 9th Nov 08, 3:14 PM
    • 9th Nov 08, 3:14 PM
    It can be done, but it fails more often than not (I was one of those CSR's). The sim updates don't always get there.
    I'd advise it's always better to get it done before you travel...
    Originally posted by Jon 01
    But that's the point - you don't need the SIM Updates in order to attach to the foreign network. In fact they're - technically - irrelevant in order to roam.

I know the CS Intranet won't say this - it can't, and it's certainly better to get roaming done before travelling. All I'm saying is, it is perfectly possible to do it from abroad and the SIM Updates aren't important.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 9th Nov 08, 4:36 PM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 1,432 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 9th Nov 08, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Nov 08, 4:36 PM
    But if roaming isn't on the acc the phone might very well attach but calling won't work (well, sometimes it might as I see in the dept where I work now)...
    Last edited by Jon 01; 09-11-2008 at 4:46 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

260Posts Today

1,321Users online

Martin's Twitter