Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Can I call orange on 150 from abroad and will the... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I call orange on 150 from abroad and will there be a fee?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,839
# 1
fizzyfozzy
Old 31-07-2008, 5:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can I call orange on 150 from abroad and will there be a fee?

I need to get roaming switched on on my mobile but i'm already abroad. My boyfriend (who is also with orange) is already activated so can I call 150 from his mobile to get it sorted? Will we be charged as we are abroad or is it free as usual?
Thanks
# 2
Jon 01
Old 31-07-2008, 6:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Depends of where you are, western Europe, maybe.
Also, it can take ages for the sim updates to get to you if your out of the country, its always better to get it done before you leave.
# 3
Vampiric Addiction
Old 31-07-2008, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

to be honest, if you're already out of the country i wouldnt bother even calling as its pretty likely not to work - the phone cant get a signal where you are (as it doesnt have roaming) and that is what it needs to receive the sim update for roaming.
On the up
# 4
dontplayfair
Old 18-09-2008, 10:08 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

According to Orange price guide it is free from anywhere in the world. I've just asked the customer service lady and she confirmed it.

to download the Orange price guide, just google "orange price guide" and it will take you right through to it.
# 5
Quentin
Old 18-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

It may be free to call, but if you aren't set up to roam, how will it connect?
# 6
japitts
Old 09-11-2008, 2:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via ICQ to japitts Send a message via AIM to japitts Send a message via MSN to japitts Send a message via Yahoo to japitts

Yes 150 is free to call from an Orange PAYM phone - period. From the UK or abroad.

As for setting up roaming, yes it's easier to do it before leaving the country but quite possible to do once overseas. Your phone doesn't need the SIM updates in order to connect to a foreign network - that is something setup on the network itself.

So the normal sequence of events would be...

Roaming activated on account, SIM Updates received and account updated.

If you're abroad already..

Roaming activated, potentially a 24hour (but most likely within 2) wait for activation to be complete, attach to foreign network, receive SIM Updates.

It's messier and a lot of CSRs may say "sorry, no can do". It's not the ideal order to do things, but can be done.

Cheers
# 7
Jon 01
Old 09-11-2008, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Yes 150 is free to call from an Orange PAYM phone - period. From the UK or abroad.

It's messier and a lot of CSRs may say "sorry, no can do". It's not the ideal order to do things, but can be done.

Cheers
It can be done, but it fails more often than not (I was one of those CSR's). The sim updates don't always get there.
I'd advise it's always better to get it done before you travel...
# 8
japitts
Old 09-11-2008, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via ICQ to japitts Send a message via AIM to japitts Send a message via MSN to japitts Send a message via Yahoo to japitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 01 View Post
It can be done, but it fails more often than not (I was one of those CSR's). The sim updates don't always get there.
I'd advise it's always better to get it done before you travel...
But that's the point - you don't need the SIM Updates in order to attach to the foreign network. In fact they're - technically - irrelevant in order to roam.

I know the CS Intranet won't say this - it can't, and it's certainly better to get roaming done before travelling. All I'm saying is, it is perfectly possible to do it from abroad and the SIM Updates aren't important.
# 9
Jon 01
Old 09-11-2008, 4:36 PM

But if roaming isn't on the acc the phone might very well attach but calling won't work (well, sometimes it might as I see in the dept where I work now)...

Last edited by Jon 01; 09-11-2008 at 4:46 PM.
Closed Thread