Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Unity
    • 29th Jul 08, 12:46 PM
    hi, just asking on behalf of a friend who dosen't have internet access.
    are premium bonds classed as savings for the purposes of claiming benefit ?

friend has premium bonds which she purchased few years ago, not a massive amount, but has a little savings too, and is unwell enough to work at this present time, and is needing to go onto income support.
    premium bonds are 1000, and savings just over 5000, which would mean she is just over the savings limit to claim, if they are classed as savings
    thanks
    Originally posted by COCO-POPS
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but - yes, they are classed as savings - because of course, that's what they are, even though you don't accrue interest with them.
    Some people hear voices, some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 29th Jul 08, 12:46 PM
    • 24,895 Posts
    • 44,815 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    I don't know the answer to this, but would guess that they were counted as savings, as you can cash them in at any time.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

If her savings are only just over the £6k, she can still claim, but her benefits will be reduced. Once her savings are under £6, she will get the full amount.
    I am a Job Club Coach in Association with CAP
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • woodbine
    • By woodbine 29th Jul 08, 4:55 PM
    • 17,962 Posts
    • 24,028 Thanks
    woodbine
    • 29th Jul 08, 4:55 PM
    • 29th Jul 08, 4:55 PM

friend has premium bonds which she purchased few years ago, not a massive amount, but has a little savings too, and is unwell enough to work at this present time, and is needing to go onto income support.
    premium bonds are 1000, and savings just over 5000, which would mean she is just over the savings limit to claim, if they are classed as savings
    thanks
    I`m afraid they do count as they are effectively just another form of saving
    the good news is that between 6,000 and 16,000 benefits are only reduced by 1 for every 250 over the 6k until you reach 16k when all means tested benefits would stop
    --------the all new improved woody------
  • Francesanne
    • 29th Jul 08, 5:58 PM
    • 29th Jul 08, 5:58 PM

thanks
    They do count as savings unfortunately. My elderly Mum has the grand sum of 3.00 in P.Bonds but they had to be declared when she was claiming Council Tax benefit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,639Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin