Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > netgear unsecured network (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
netgear unsecured network
Closed Thread
Views: 2,902
# 1
lexi
Old 26-07-2008, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default netgear unsecured network

any ideas if this is ok? my brother has had a saga wiv toucan resulting in him buying a netgear router. strange then that his broadband was slowly working on a dial up? anyway all was sort of ok until 2 nights ago wen nothing! i went to sort it out & found under connections dial up & netgear which had excellent strength. i tried to connect & had to go to the isp addo netgear provided. only prob is netgear sez its an unsecured network! my brother had to put in his email & password for toucan to connect thru netgear so.........1 is this legal & ok as he does have a netgear router? 2 is the netgear connection ok as he has put in his own password via toucan or does he have to change the password wen signing in on the netgear isp? i really dont want my brother to get into trouble or have sum1 use his connection to download dodgy stuff as he is a bit of a techie noob.ironically the speed is much quicker & the teething probs he was having have now gone! any help is appreciated
# 2
Fonz
Old 26-07-2008, 9:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can't quite work out if:

a) Your brother is connecting to someone else's unsecured network

or

b) Your brothers network is unsecured?
# 3
C_Ronaldo
Old 26-07-2008, 9:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Are you saying your brother is connecting to his netgear router which isnt secure
No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
# 4
Conor
Old 27-07-2008, 12:14 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi View Post
any ideas if this is ok? my brother has had a saga wiv toucan resulting in him buying a netgear router. strange then that his broadband was slowly working on a dial up? anyway all was sort of ok until 2 nights ago wen nothing! i went to sort it out & found under connections dial up & netgear which had excellent strength. i tried to connect & had to go to the isp addo netgear provided. only prob is netgear sez its an unsecured network! my brother had to put in his email & password for toucan to connect thru netgear so.........1 is this legal & ok as he does have a netgear router? 2 is the netgear connection ok as he has put in his own password via toucan or does he have to change the password wen signing in on the netgear isp? i really dont want my brother to get into trouble or have sum1 use his connection to download dodgy stuff as he is a bit of a techie noob.ironically the speed is much quicker & the teething probs he was having have now gone! any help is appreciated
Could you repost that in English please? I'm sorry but I don't speak "Chav" and Altavistas Babel doesn't do Chav to English translations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Conor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Fonz
Old 27-07-2008, 1:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLLC View Post
I tell you what, Around my area anyone on netgear comes up as an unsecured network but i don't know why?

So i think your brothers one is an unsecure network and may let people use his wi-fi. I myself have never tried signing on to one of the net-gear unsecured networks so i don't know if they ask for a password or something?

Hope this helps
'Netgear' is the default SSID name which would indicate the owner hasnt taken the time to configure the basic router settings, and more likely than not, the security settings.

Yes you'll probably be able to connect to these without a password, it's unlikely you'll get caught but be aware if you do get caught it is punishable by a prison sentence.
# 6
del1001
Old 27-07-2008, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
I tell you what, Around my area anyone on netgear comes up as an unsecured network but i don't know why?
Basically because they are to lazy or ignorant to change the settings in their router, it really isn't difficult to do, the setup wizard takes you through the whole process.
# 7
lexi
Old 27-07-2008, 3:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

right ok, my brother is on toucan broadband. loads of probs with thomson speedtouch so they advised hi mto get a router. he did netgear. was ok for 2-3 weeks then nothing, so checked it & got him online with netgear - unsecured network. we used the wizard set up- we did put in a password- the toucan email one which was accepted by netgear but it is definately on unsecured network. it isnt case of being lazy - we dont know that swhy we came on here. btw the connection has gone again thats why i tried the netgear could the router be the possible fault?
# 8
asininity
Old 27-07-2008, 3:45 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Is your brother connecting wirelessly or is he connected to the router with a wire?
# 9
superscaper
Old 27-07-2008, 3:50 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
right ok, my brother is on toucan broadband. loads of probs with thomson speedtouch so they advised hi mto get a router. he did netgear. was ok for 2-3 weeks then nothing, so checked it & got him online with netgear - unsecured network. we used the wizard set up- we did put in a password- the toucan email one which was accepted by netgear but it is definately on unsecured network. it isnt case of being lazy - we dont know that swhy we came on here. btw the connection has gone again thats why i tried the netgear could the router be the possible fault?
What type of encryption are you using? Is the password you're talking about for logging into the router, the ISP's password or for the wireless connection of the router?

It seems it's not just me but your posts are incredibly difficult to read (i.e. grammar and punctuation). Doesn't have to be perfect but I'm finding it difficult to understand it.
"She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
Moss
# 10
C_Ronaldo
Old 27-07-2008, 3:53 PM

lexi it might be easy if you bullet point it
The Following User Says Thank You to C_Ronaldo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lexi
Old 27-07-2008, 4:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

ok sorry i am as much use as my brother!
* he has sony laptop
* he has toucan broadband
* he had speedtouch modem - no good so got netgear router
* was fine then came off with no warning
* connected him through netgear
* but this is unsecured network
* we had to put his toucan broadband email & password to connect
* still says unsecured network
* it cut off again with no warning
* typed in netgear default settings to get back online.
* am worried we are doing something wrong as he isnt using toucan 'dial up' broadband
* can we change settings so network is secured.
hope this helps. i dont know why the thing keeps going wrong. if any help or suggestions trust me we would be very grateful
# 12
C_Ronaldo
Old 27-07-2008, 4:30 PM

Quote:
ok sorry i am as much use as my brother!
* he has sony laptop
* he has toucan broadband
* he had speedtouch modem - no good so got netgear router
* was fine then came off with no warning
* connected him through netgear
* but this is unsecured network
* we had to put his toucan broadband email & password to connect
* still says unsecured network
* it cut off again with no warning
* typed in netgear default settings to get back online.
* am worried we are doing something wrong as he isnt using toucan 'dial up' broadband
* can we change settings so network is secured.
hope this helps. i dont know why the thing keeps going wrong. if any help or suggestions trust me we would be very grateful
thats a bit better
# 13
C_Ronaldo
Old 27-07-2008, 4:31 PM

lexi

so your saying your brother is connecting via his netgear but its unsecure,
# 14
del1001
Old 27-07-2008, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

which netgear model is it?
(the numbers on the underside)
# 15
timbim
Old 27-07-2008, 4:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What on earth is dial up broadband? Makes very little sense. Are you trying to say that he has a very slow connection speed? That could be a fault with the microfilters around your house. Make sure every socket on that line has one, or it will not work.
# 16
lexi
Old 27-07-2008, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanx
* he i s connecting through netgear
* it is unsecured
* i think its netgear super g wireless DG834GT
# 17
Conor
Old 27-07-2008, 5:20 PM
PPR

Quote:
Because people either
a) don't read the chuffing manual.
b) Know as much about using PCs as they do operating the telly. They can turn it on but they're stuffed if they have to tune in a new channel.
# 18
Fonz
Old 27-07-2008, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Maybe I'm being slow here but are we saying it is your bothers own netgear wireless network he is connecting through but it is unsecured?
# 19
Conor
Old 27-07-2008, 5:33 PM
PPR

It is unsecured because he hasn't set up any wireless encryption. It's probably dropping the ADSL connection because of the timeout.

1) He needs to log into the router by opening a web browser and typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar.
2) It'll ask for a password and username. Enter admin as the username and password as the password.
3) On the screen that now comes up on the left side is a menu. First Entry is "Basic Settings. Click on that. Make sure the entry "Idle Timeout (In Minutes)" is set to 0 and this will stop it disconnecting after its not been used for a period if time.
4) Back to the menu on the left. Third Entry down is "Wireless Settings". Click on that.
5) THe middle part of the screen now changes. Scroll down to Security Options. Click on either WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK.
6) Scroll down further and you'll see a box with "Network Key (8 ~ 63 characters)" to the left of it. In that box put a password. This password is what you'll need to give people who want to connect to the network wirelessly. Click Apply and then you're done - that's the wireless network secured.

At this point, if he's using the wifi, it'll disconnect him. He needs to reconnect and it'll ask him for the password. Enter the password you used in step 6 above. If you/he wants anything else to connect to the wifi in the future, he'll need to use that same password.

As a final note..
For the love of god can you please go to College and take an evening class course in Adult Literacy? Either that or make more of an effort to post as if you went to school. You're doing yourself no favours and making it hard for us to help you because your posts make no sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Conor For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
timbim
Old 27-07-2008, 5:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Now Conor, why do you expect a straight-talking, perfectly accurate response to help in a situation like this, whrere the OP can only understand cryptic "me speek"?
Closed Thread