IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to cover my worktops
Closed Thread
Views: 43,155
# 1
JoJoB
Old 23-07-2008, 8:45 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default How to cover my worktops

Hello, I saw a product advetised recently for covering worktops but I can't remember the name of it! It began with an F I think, does anyone know what it is? It looks like a vinyl roll that you stick on to spruce up worktops and cupboards and I thought i might give it a go.
2014 wins: April: 20 Pizza Express Voucher May: 1500 June: Barney's Bag july: 20 Pizza voucher, sports bra, Nokia Lumia, 50 Tesco Card October: Buzz Lightyear, perfume, Liz Earle goody bag, Sealife tickets

# 2
sooz
Old 23-07-2008, 9:40 AM

Fablon??

You can buy it in DIY shops & places like wilkinsons.

However, I wouldn't use it on worktops, it is just sticky back plastic! It can be used on kitchen cupboard doors, but it would be easier & cheaper to paint them, and you'd get a better finish.

For the worktops, they aren't too expensive to buy. Ikea does some very cheap ones (25 for 2.8 m IIRC).
# 3
totalsolutions
Old 23-07-2008, 10:40 AM
PPR

My friends paint them up, seem happy with them and change the colour now and then too, even rag roll them for different effects.
# 4
JoJoB
Old 23-07-2008, 8:00 PM

Fablon, that's it! Thanks Sooz.

There's no ideal way of making my worktops look better other than just replacing them but don't have the cash to do so at the mo so looking for a quick fix. They are cheap laminate things so I don't know how paintable they would be. :confused:
2014 wins: April: 20 Pizza Express Voucher May: 1500 June: Barney's Bag july: 20 Pizza voucher, sports bra, Nokia Lumia, 50 Tesco Card October: Buzz Lightyear, perfume, Liz Earle goody bag, Sealife tickets

# 5
dander
Old 24-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I don't like the sound of fablon on work surfaces, it very quickly would look worse than what you began with - it would damage very very easily, with hot pans, knives and water in the kitchen, there's loads of things that would make it look awful. Not to mention the difficulty of getting it down in a smooth and bubble free fashion in the first place.

You might then find when you decide to give up and take it all off, that it leaves a mess behind.

Is it a big kitchen? Have you thought about posting a wanted on freecycle to see if anyone has spare worktop that you could re-use?
# 6
sparkyjuls
Old 10-11-2010, 11:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Cool Worktop covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoB View Post
Hello, I saw a product advetised recently for covering worktops but I can't remember the name of it! It began with an F I think, does anyone know what it is? It looks like a vinyl roll that you stick on to spruce up worktops and cupboards and I thought i might give it a go.
It's not Fablon. That's been around since the fifties. Everything about air bubbles and leaving a sticky mess are true and it wouldn't last 5 minutes as a kitchen worktop cover. The ad I saw was for a very durable, worktop sleeve that was very thin and just slid over your existing surfaces. It is scratch resistant and they/you measure the area you need to cover and they fit over like a glove. I've not seen the ad for a few weeks and cannot remember what the product is called. If anyone knows please post an answer.
# 7
steve0564
Old 31-12-2010, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

By Any Chance Is It Formica???
# 8
sparkyjuls
Old 31-12-2010, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

No, not Formica or Fablon. Formica, like Fablon, is not scratch resistant and marks easily. The stuff these worktop sleeves are made of is just like thin sleeves of granite or something that completely covers the old workflow making them look like they are solid granite or suckling. Recycling but not paint, sticky back plastic or hardboard.
# 9
flea72
Old 31-12-2010, 7:44 PM

ive seen a company advertised in some of the diy shops, that puts a thin layer of granite over an existing worktop - so you get a granite worktop at a fraction of the cost

but tbh if its a laminate worktop it just wouldnt be worthwhile covering, when it only costs 30 to buy a new 3m length

F
The Following User Says Thank You to flea72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread