Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoJoB
    • By JoJoB 23rd Jul 08, 8:45 AM
    • 2,045Posts
    • 7,904Thanks
    JoJoB
    How to cover my worktops
    • 23rd Jul 08, 8:45 AM
    How to cover my worktops 23rd Jul 08 at 8:45 AM
    Hello, I saw a product advetised recently for covering worktops but I can't remember the name of it! It began with an F I think, does anyone know what it is? It looks like a vinyl roll that you stick on to spruce up worktops and cupboards and I thought i might give it a go.
    2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher
Page 1
  • sooz
    • 23rd Jul 08, 9:40 AM
    • 23rd Jul 08, 9:40 AM
    Fablon??

You can buy it in DIY shops & places like wilkinsons.

However, I wouldn't use it on worktops, it is just sticky back plastic! It can be used on kitchen cupboard doors, but it would be easier & cheaper to paint them, and you'd get a better finish.

For the worktops, they aren't too expensive to buy. Ikea does some very cheap ones (£25 for 2.8 m IIRC).
  • totalsolutions
    • 23rd Jul 08, 10:40 AM
    • 23rd Jul 08, 10:40 AM
    My friends paint them up, seem happy with them and change the colour now and then too, even rag roll them for different effects.
    • JoJoB
    • By JoJoB 23rd Jul 08, 8:00 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 7,904 Thanks
    JoJoB
    • 23rd Jul 08, 8:00 PM
    • 23rd Jul 08, 8:00 PM
    Fablon, that's it! Thanks Sooz.

There's no ideal way of making my worktops look better other than just replacing them but don't have the cash to do so at the mo so looking for a quick fix. They are cheap laminate things so I don't know how paintable they would be. :confused:
    2015 wins: Jan: Leeds Castle tickets; Feb: Kindle Fire, Years supply Ricola March: £50 Sports Direct voucher April: DSLR camera June: £500 Bingo July: £50 co-op voucher
    • dander
    • By dander 24th Jul 08, 12:05 AM
    • 1,588 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    dander
    • 24th Jul 08, 12:05 AM
    • 24th Jul 08, 12:05 AM
    I don't like the sound of fablon on work surfaces, it very quickly would look worse than what you began with - it would damage very very easily, with hot pans, knives and water in the kitchen, there's loads of things that would make it look awful. Not to mention the difficulty of getting it down in a smooth and bubble free fashion in the first place.

You might then find when you decide to give up and take it all off, that it leaves a mess behind.

Is it a big kitchen? Have you thought about posting a wanted on freecycle to see if anyone has spare worktop that you could re-use?
  • sparkyjuls
    • 10th Nov 10, 11:16 PM
    Worktop covering
    • 10th Nov 10, 11:16 PM
    Hello, I saw a product advetised recently for covering worktops but I can't remember the name of it! It began with an F I think, does anyone know what it is? It looks like a vinyl roll that you stick on to spruce up worktops and cupboards and I thought i might give it a go.
    Originally posted by JoJoB
    It's not Fablon. That's been around since the fifties. Everything about air bubbles and leaving a sticky mess are true and it wouldn't last 5 minutes as a kitchen worktop cover. The ad I saw was for a very durable, worktop sleeve that was very thin and just slid over your existing surfaces. It is scratch resistant and they/you measure the area you need to cover and they fit over like a glove. I've not seen the ad for a few weeks and cannot remember what the product is called. If anyone knows please post an answer.
  • steve0564
    • 31st Dec 10, 5:17 PM
    • 31st Dec 10, 5:17 PM
    By Any Chance Is It Formica???
  • sparkyjuls
    • 31st Dec 10, 6:17 PM
    • 31st Dec 10, 6:17 PM
    No, not Formica or Fablon. Formica, like Fablon, is not scratch resistant and marks easily. The stuff these worktop sleeves are made of is just like thin sleeves of granite or something that completely covers the old workflow making them look like they are solid granite or suckling. Recycling but not paint, sticky back plastic or hardboard.
    • flea72
    • By flea72 31st Dec 10, 7:44 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    flea72
    • 31st Dec 10, 7:44 PM
    • 31st Dec 10, 7:44 PM
    ive seen a company advertised in some of the diy shops, that puts a thin layer of granite over an existing worktop - so you get a granite worktop at a fraction of the cost

but tbh if its a laminate worktop it just wouldnt be worthwhile covering, when it only costs £30 to buy a new 3m length

F
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,662Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @niamhirl: @MartinSLewis mine was in the buggy, but had fallen asleep so missed the entire event.

• RT @karendebruyne: @MartinSLewis took son to vote every time from zero to 16 when! Last 2 times he not wanted, but only 6 more months & he?

• Took little MSE with to vote (gd to show the importance young) she was wearing her blue Elsa dress but with a red hair bow for balance

• Follow Martin