Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

How do I find out who provides my telephone line?
    • 19th Jul 08, 6:36 PM
    How do I find out who provides my telephone line? 19th Jul 08 at 6:36 PM
    Hi all, sorry if this is covered in another thread but I couldn't find anything when doing a search.

Basically my situation is this....

I've just moved into a house, I phoned BT to check whether the house already had a line with them. They said yes there was a line already with them and I could take over the line for no charge, and just pay the monthly rental. However, when they try to do this on their computers they can't pass the account over to me and they mentioned that the line was actually with someone else. So my question is how do I find out who its with? BT also said that if I wanted a line with them it would cost me a full reconnection fee of 125. This sounds dodgy to me as they've already told me I have a line with them, and then they've said I don't. Anyone had any experiences like this?

Any advice/help appreciated.

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

407Posts Today

2,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • While I oft bemoan Xmas being a retail festival. It's strange today many are bitter that shops are REDUCING prices, usually its the opposite

• And leave people held hostage to high Xmas prices? Our tradition was Xmas discounts spread in Nov/Dec not on one day

• John Lewis website is down - its price matching black friday deals. Maybe its a good day to buy cheap extra servers?

• Follow Martin