Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > How do I find out who provides my telephone line? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How do I find out who provides my telephone line?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,412
# 1
thesharpeyshuffle
Old 19-07-2008, 6:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How do I find out who provides my telephone line?

Hi all, sorry if this is covered in another thread but I couldn't find anything when doing a search.

Basically my situation is this....

I've just moved into a house, I phoned BT to check whether the house already had a line with them. They said yes there was a line already with them and I could take over the line for no charge, and just pay the monthly rental. However, when they try to do this on their computers they can't pass the account over to me and they mentioned that the line was actually with someone else. So my question is how do I find out who its with? BT also said that if I wanted a line with them it would cost me a full reconnection fee of 125. This sounds dodgy to me as they've already told me I have a line with them, and then they've said I don't. Anyone had any experiences like this?

Any advice/help appreciated.

Cheers.
# 2
wishiwasarichgirl
Old 19-07-2008, 6:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

can you ask the prevoius owners? The people I bought off left a list of all suppliers for phone, gas, leccy etc. Otherwise I'm not sure... maybe wait for a bill?
WigglyFB

# 3
ORE
Old 19-07-2008, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

dial 150 from the line if its connected, it will put you to the relevent CS.
# 4
suzzi2704
Old 21-07-2008, 9:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The line will be owned by BT but may have been disconnected by a previous owner or hired out or sold to another provider, say Talk Talk (what other providers do is buy the line from BT then sell it back to you at a different price to BT).
If the line has been disconnected, theres no other way of getting a phone set up than paying BT £125 to reconnect it unfortunately - a lot of other providers also require that you have a BT line to set you up as all they do is what I said above. So it may be that you have to pay BT £125 even if you don't intend to go with them!!
BT are so money grabbing

Last edited by suzzi2704; 21-07-2008 at 9:46 PM.
# 5
deklan99
Old 21-07-2008, 10:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzi2704 View Post
If the line has been disconnected, theres no other way of getting a phone set up than paying BT 125 to reconnect it unfortunately - a lot of other providers also require that you have a BT line to set you up as all they do is what I said above. So it may be that you have to pay BT 125 even if you don't intend to go with them!!
BT are so money grabbing
Apart from the current deal from BT of 30/18 month contract, Madasafish, Plusnet, Phone Co-op, The Post Office and others will all install a "BT" line for less than 125.
# 6
talikat
Old 23-07-2008, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Sound's like it's an LLU line, the charge is generated as Openreach have to go out. That's were the charge comes from unfortunately.
Closed Thread