IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
When do CSA payments stop
Views: 62,640
# 21
kelloggs36
Old 17-08-2008, 4:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

CSA is totally separate from a maintenance order - that is done via the courts. I suggest you contact the court and ask them for a copy of the order unless the PWC went on benefits and then had to claim via CSA in which case the court order would no longer be valid. If you have more than one child on a CSA case, then you would have to request a review once the oldest reaches 19 - otherwise it should be automatically closed.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 22
JohnCGibbs
Old 26-08-2008, 12:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

From the sound of it I'M SAD, there is a maintenance claim via CSA which stops at the 19 yrs age bracket but there is also a Child maintenance court order? which is seperate!
You mention ex-partner, suggesting this is not a part of a divorce settlement. So you would or should have been legally represented when such court order was made, or is your ex-partner pulling the wool over your head?

I cannot see the logic in claiming child maintenance via the CSA if there was already a court order in progress.
# 23
boflaherty
Old 25-04-2009, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Stopping CSA Payments

I've seen a few questions over this and one asking for a link - follow this and I think it explains when. Also, when I've spoken with the CSA the advisors are much better mannered now but are still inaccurate with their information. I'm just about to be invited back in to the loop thanks to my control freak of an ex and I've learned that using information like the attached in written communciation (and email) will usually get an accurate response albeit timely!
As a new user i can't use links apaprently - so go to the csa gov uk page and add a / followed by en then / then case then / then leaving-education then . then asp
# 24
bellabeauty
Old 27-04-2009, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

sorry dont mean to high jack the op thread, my hubbys child left education and started work september 08 was informed by the CSA that PWC is not claiming CB BUT nearly 9 months later they still havent stopped the CM... can kelloggs tell me if his company stop paying the DEO can they get fined??? btw there is no arrears. Surely its theft??? how many times does one have to ring them for them to say "oh its being sorted and you will get the money back" GRRRRRR
# 25
kelloggs36
Old 27-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

They could but he should be escalating the complaint now - via your MP preferably.
# 26
gilz
Old 15-11-2010, 4:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

just a quick one ............ how about when she leaves school and dont bother to get a job or go to college ?? just bums about ??? when do the payments stop then ???
# 27
RAS
Old 15-11-2010, 6:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Unless PWC is claiming CB and is entitled to claim CB for the child, then the CSA should halt payments
The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
# 28
richandmandy
Old 23-11-2010, 12:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I spoke to CSA today and they told me that payments stop once the child stops being in full-time education, then they said it stops when PWC stops getting Child Benefit! My step-son is 16 and not in any education, just lounging around..... so I am confused.... but it would seem to be Child Benefit related.
# 29
lynn45
Old 23-11-2010, 12:54 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It's when a child turns 19, that is if they're still in full time, non advanced education (a level or equivalent). Child benefit can continue up to the age of 20, but not child maintenance. This stops on the week of the child's 19th birthday
# 30
Desperate Dad
Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default CSA Help Me :(

I have just received a letter from CSA stating my soon to be ex-wife has put in for maintenance. I currently have my children half of the week but i have had conflicting input from friends and family as te whether i have to pay anything.Can any one point me in the right direction please as this is effecting me alot. My health is already suffering because of what has been going on and each time i start to pull myself around my soon to be ex does something that knocks me back down.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.Also any advice on Child Benefit payments and Child Tax Credits would be good too.Thanks..
# 31
moike
Old 12-09-2011, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperate Dad View Post
I have just received a letter from CSA stating my soon to be ex-wife has put in for maintenance. I currently have my children half of the week but i have had conflicting input from friends and family as te whether i have to pay anything.Can any one point me in the right direction please as this is effecting me alot. My health is already suffering because of what has been going on and each time i start to pull myself around my soon to be ex does something that knocks me back down.Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.Also any advice on Child Benefit payments and Child Tax Credits would be good too.Thanks..
for every 53 days of the year that you have them your payment would reduce by 1 seventh.
Assuming that you have 3 children, the payment would be 25% of your income less tax and NI, (2 children = 20% and 1 =15% )
Let us assume this calculation comes out to 700 ( for ease of maths )

If you have your children 3 days every week then you would have to pay only 400.
This is of course assuming that your wife has custody.

Regards
# 32
melis
Old 12-01-2012, 7:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My partner pays CSA for his special needs son who will be 19 in March ..he is at college for deaf and special needs and will be there till he is 23/24.. my question is will my partners payments stop when he is 19 or when he finishes college? Thanks for any advice..
# 33
PreludeForTimeFeelers
Old 12-01-2012, 8:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by melis View Post
My partner pays CSA for his special needs son who will be 19 in March ..he is at college for deaf and special needs and will be there till he is 23/24.. my question is will my partners payments stop when he is 19 or when he finishes college? Thanks for any advice..
The CSA case will close in March, around the 19th birthday, however if your partner would still like to contribute beyond that then it would be down to him.
# 34
melis
Old 12-01-2012, 2:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My partner contributes other then the CSA now and will continue to do so ..my stepson is a resident at his college for special needs and we share all holidays /breaks equally .. but as we understand it he is also having benefits claimed on his behalf now as an adult ..Thank you for your reply.
# 35
tombhoy
Old 26-01-2012, 6:44 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

My son is 18 and was attending college so I have continued to pay maintenance via the CSA. I have just been informed that he was removed from the course in October 2011 and has since been working part time in various jobs. I have been in touch with the CSA and they tell me that because child benefit is still being paid I am still liable. I have told them the college telephone number and who the course administrator is and asked them to check it out. Does anyone know whether I should still be paying? I dont have any contact with either my ex wife or my son as I live far away from them.
# 36
PreludeForTimeFeelers
Old 26-01-2012, 7:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombhoy View Post
My son is 18 and was attending college so I have continued to pay maintenance via the CSA. I have just been informed that he was removed from the course in October 2011 and has since been working part time in various jobs. I have been in touch with the CSA and they tell me that because child benefit is still being paid I am still liable. I have told them the college telephone number and who the course administrator is and asked them to check it out. Does anyone know whether I should still be paying? I dont have any contact with either my ex wife or my son as I live far away from them.
Child benefit is just meant to be a rule of thumb, not the be all and end all. Call them back and tell them your fears that he has been removed from college, and pass on the college details. They should then contact his mam and see of she says he is still attending. If that's what she says then they're perfectly entitled to call the college. If she admits he's not going then they will close the case.
# 37
tombhoy
Old 26-01-2012, 10:24 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeForTimeFeelers View Post
Child benefit is just meant to be a rule of thumb, not the be all and end all. Call them back and tell them your fears that he has been removed from college, and pass on the college details. They should then contact his mam and see of she says he is still attending. If that's what she says then they're perfectly entitled to call the college. If she admits he's not going then they will close the case.
Cheers for that. I have done exactly that so I should find out over the next couple of days. I will post the outcome.
# 38
PreludeForTimeFeelers
Old 26-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombhoy View Post
Cheers for that. I have done exactly that so I should find out over the next couple of days. I will post the outcome.
Good luck. Another option is to report her for fraudulently child benefit, if that is indeed the case.
# 39
vesper007
Old 01-02-2012, 2:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default csa

hi

stepdaughter was 18 in december and has been out of education since at least june 2011. She has recently started a job working 12 hours a week. Will the csa now close the case if we contact them???? want to find out before contact them as any contact in the past has resulted in a nightmare string of errors. Any advice please
# 40
tombhoy
Old 04-02-2012, 3:42 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesper007 View Post
hi

stepdaughter was 18 in december and has been out of education since at least june 2011. She has recently started a job working 12 hours a week. Will the csa now close the case if we contact them???? want to find out before contact them as any contact in the past has resulted in a nightmare string of errors. Any advice please
Hi mate. I am still waiting for the CSA to report back to me on my case. However I believe your payments should stop at the end of February as she is now 18 and out of full-time education. If she is claiming any benefits and/or child benefit has stopped your payments should stop immediately as she is over 18. Have a look at this:

Child leaves education or training - and is 18 or over

Your payments will normally carry on from the date your child leaves education or training that counts for Child Benefit, until the week that includes the earliest of these dates:
the last day of February
31 May
31 August
30 November
But if one of the following happens, your payments will stop straightaway:
your child starts paid work for 24 hours a week or more
your child gets certain benefits, such as Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance, or tax credits in their own right
your child reaches the age of 20
You will need to report any of these changes to the Child Benefit Office.

I hope this helps mate, I have been there.