Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kimmoss88
    Postage to Malta?
    • 18th Jul 08, 12:08 AM
    Postage to Malta? 18th Jul 08 at 12:08 AM
    Hi I'm selling some old coins from Malta on eBay that I found. Some recently went for a tenner, and they are no use to me, so that's great.

Somebody has asked if I would post them to Malta (I presume they can trade them in for Euros). I've had a look on the Royal Mail website for postage details but I have no idea which is the correct way to send them. Does anyone know anything about this, I obviously want them to turn up safely. Is it safe to post to Malta, and which is the best way of doing it?

Many thanks in advance for any replies
Page 1
  • Marty J
    • 18th Jul 08, 12:17 AM
    • 18th Jul 08, 12:17 AM
    You can find the postage costs for Air Mail here:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=400036&mediaId=400347

Malta is in Europe, so that's column you need to look at. I would just stick them to a piece of card with stickytape and pop them in an envelope.

I wouldn't bother with tracking for something that costs £10, but its your money I guess.
  • kimmoss88
    • 18th Jul 08, 1:50 AM
    • 18th Jul 08, 1:50 AM
    If I get proof of posting, and it goes missing, could I claim back the money that I would have to refund the buyer? Or is this just for parcels sent to the UK?
  • Marty J
    • 18th Jul 08, 3:39 AM
    • 18th Jul 08, 3:39 AM
    Yes, you can claim compensation.

According to Royal Mail:

All Airmail is covered by up to £36 compensation if the letter is lost or damaged and it's our fault. You cannot claim for items of value, unless they are sent by Airsure or International Signed For. Consequential Loss - compensation for any financial consequences of any damage or loss to items of mail - is not available. If your item is valuable, you can buy extra compensation of up to £250 or £500, depending on the destination. This additional compensation is only available when you use Airsure or International Signed For.
    • londonTiger
    • By londonTiger 5th May 11, 4:11 PM
    • 4,834 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    londonTiger
    • 5th May 11, 4:11 PM
    • 5th May 11, 4:11 PM
    Royal mail's compensation system is bogus.

I've had numerous packages go missing, I made two claims that were completely ignored, and I can't be bothered to waste my time anymore making claims.

I was on the receiving end of a missing package and the seller made a compensation claim. I was nice enough to cooperate with the seller. RM send a two sided form to the intended recipient to fill out with details of the order.

I'm a seller as well, so I'm organised and keep a record of my activities. I would image an everyday consumer who supposedly ordered goods a long time ago, will not have any recollection of the order, or will not have time to fill out the form. Because they have to go 3 months back into their paypal transactions to get the auction # and full cost of items etc.. This is too much hassle for the everyday consumer and is a requirement for royal mail to have before dishing out compensations.

I don't know how it would deal with international packages. but like others have said 10 package is not insuring, send it out for as cheap as you can get.
  • macfly
    • 5th May 11, 5:18 PM
    • 5th May 11, 5:18 PM
    They may come under the exclusion for compensation by being seen as cash, or cash equivalent.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 5th May 11, 6:27 PM
    • 57,043 Posts
    • 40,251 Thanks
    soolin
    • 5th May 11, 6:27 PM
    • 5th May 11, 6:27 PM
    They may come under the exclusion for compensation by being seen as cash, or cash equivalent.
    Originally posted by macfly
    I suspect you may be right, I can't imagine coins being covered going overseas if they would not be covered standard mail in the UK.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • GregtheHammer
    • 6th May 11, 2:39 PM
    • 6th May 11, 2:39 PM
    Personally I would not even send to Malta, I have sent 2 items there & both went missing, on my blocked list now.
    • Pembroke
    • By Pembroke 6th May 11, 4:38 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Pembroke
    • 6th May 11, 4:38 PM
    • 6th May 11, 4:38 PM
    Thread started nearly three years ago I hope the coins have got to Malta by now.
  • confusedmadame
    Im worried
    Personally I would not even send to Malta, I have sent 2 items there & both went missing, on my blocked list now.
    Originally posted by GregtheHammer

Hello there Gregthehammer, I put a few items on ebay the other day and have had an email from someone in Spain and someone in Malta wanting to bid, asking if I would allow them to bid (ive stated uk only) and enquiring about postage prices etc.

I went to Royal mail...they said use International signed for! I gave the prospective buyers the price for delivery and have just unblocked their individual ebay member names to allow them to bid!

So now im freaking out!!!!! My auctions close in 3 days, they both have 100%positive feedback and a few hundred stars each, does this make a difference?

I digress...my questions are....should I still panic?
    Have I covered my self enough?
    did you used ISF service?
    Did your potential buyers look ok beforehand too?

Im totally skint and cant afford to be scammed!!!

Many thanks in advance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,548Users online

Martin's Twitter