Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Firefly
    • By Firefly 17th Jul 08, 10:10 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Firefly
    • 17th Jul 08, 10:10 PM
    • 17th Jul 08, 10:10 PM
    You have to do this with the Land Registry. Have a look on their website as there's lots of information there. It's best to use a solicitor but it doesn't cost much and makes sure the deeds are safely in the right name (priceless IMHO!)
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • pinkpig08
    • 17th Jul 08, 10:12 PM
    • 17th Jul 08, 10:12 PM
    Sorry to but in on your thread, sticher, but do you have to do the same when you get married? I'm getting married in 2 weeks and both our names are on the mortgage.
  • sticher
    • 18th Jul 08, 4:43 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 4:43 PM
    firefly, thanks for your help.

Pinkpig, if your name is not on the house deeds I would get them put on as soon as possible.

I don't know much about the legal side of things, but to me, having your name on the mortagage, but not on the deeds, means you will be liable for half the mortgage, but not entitled to half the house!

I know being married protects you to a degree, but it also makes things more straightforward in the future. Someone who knows more will hopefully be along soon.
    • Firefly
    • By Firefly 18th Jul 08, 5:52 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 4,206 Thanks
    Firefly
    • 18th Jul 08, 5:52 PM
    • 18th Jul 08, 5:52 PM
    firefly, thanks for your help.

Pinkpig, if your name is not on the house deeds I would get them put on as soon as possible.

I don't know much about the legal side of things, but to me, having your name on the mortagage, but not on the deeds, means you will be liable for half the mortgage, but not entitled to half the house!

I know being married protects you to a degree, but it also makes things more straightforward in the future. Someone who knows more will hopefully be along soon.
    Originally posted by sticher
    I was awarded the house in my divorce settlement. My ex had his name on the mortgage for about 10yrs until I earned enough to take over the whole of the mortgage. He wasn't entitled to any of the house but only because the court had decreed that. His name was removed from the deeds. However the building society and my solicitor agreed that his name on the mortgage was completely worthless and there was nothing I could do to make him pay anything (he didn't!

You are the same person, whether you use your married name or not, so it's still your house as your name is on the deeds.
    Do not allow the risk of failure to stop you trying!
  • iansheff
    • 7th Aug 08, 3:10 PM
    • 7th Aug 08, 3:10 PM
    I have just asked at the Halifax as my deeds are in their deed store and was told would be £120 to Halifax then about £160 for a solicitor to change the deeds from joint names to one name. Surely there must be a cheaper way of doing it?
  • louloo
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:14 PM
    Changing name on house deeds!!
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:14 PM
    Hi everyone,

My husband died and I have now remarried. We still have my deceased husband's name and my first married name on the title deeds to my house -which I own outright.

I am searcing for answers as I can't afford a solicitor either. Can I keep the names on the house deeds as they are? I am not cheating or lying to anyone....am I? People are telling me though that I aught to change things now as I am remarried and I want to keep the house safe for my kids!

Where on this site can I do this for £20 as the first person said?

Thanks if anyone can answer this.
    Louloo. x :confused:
    • Mips
    • By Mips 4th Feb 09, 4:18 PM
    • 17,169 Posts
    • 61,307 Thanks
    Mips
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:18 PM
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:18 PM
    Go to the Land Registry and get a form, fill it in.. get someone to witness it.. and I think the fee is about £15 or £30.. I did this about 2 years ago
  • louloo
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:26 PM
    house deeds
    • 4th Feb 09, 4:26 PM
    Thanks Dippychick, that is great, I am off to look for that form now.

luv louloo. x
    • Mips
    • By Mips 4th Feb 09, 4:29 PM
    • 17,169 Posts
    • 61,307 Thanks
    Mips
    Thanks Dippychick, that is great, I am off to look for that form now.

luv louloo. x
    Originally posted by louloo

Pretty sure it begins with N!

Ring them up.. they will tell you any may even send you it..
  • louloo
    Deeds
    I am going to browse around the Land Registry site first, they have some good info - but I haven't found what I want yet!! :confused:

Thanks though for your info Dippychick, that was a great help.

luv Louloo. x
  • cmcg26
    House deeds
    Did anyone find the relevant form for changing a name on the house deeds?
    My husband died intestate last August and the deeds were in his name only. In order to get a mortgage on the property I have to get my name put on the deeds. Any ideas anyone?
    I've had a look at the land registry site, but am confused as to which form I need to fill in.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks
    • Bobl
    • By Bobl 12th Jan 10, 3:19 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Bobl
    I have just done this for my MIL, look here

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

it cost her £70 but depends on the value of the house. If you are not sure, ring them, they are very helpful and will send you the correct forms.

Edit to add Tel No: 0800 432 0432
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • cmcg26
    Thanks for that Bobl. Will get on to that straight away.
  • gpg1967
    change names on house deeds
    just phoned the number above and they gave me all the information needed thanks, very helpfull
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 14th Feb 11, 7:57 PM
    • 9,729 Posts
    • 12,457 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I'm in a similar position to pinkpig08 - except, it's only my name on the mortgage and I want to put my wife's name on the house deeds; we've been married since 2001 and I keep forgetting to do this
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
  • patjames
    can I change my house deeds into my grandchildrens names
    • fluffymuffy
    • By fluffymuffy 1st Apr 11, 3:25 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 5,449 Thanks
    fluffymuffy
    can I change my house deeds into my grandchildrens names
    Originally posted by patjames
    Yes. But keep your name on there too or the day might come when they ask you for rent or use the house as security for a loan.
    I am the Cat who walks by herself and all places are alike to me.
  • wots
    hello all, my dad passed away last november, his name was the only one on the deeds to the house, a solicitor said that the house and everything would now be my mums. she has now wanted to do a will which will cost her about £200, she also wants the deeds changed to her name, the solicitor has said to change this would cost with the will about £1000. is there a way around this if so could i have a link please and if she does have to pay this amount would it be better to put the deeds in my name as im the only son
  • diyforms
    My mum has just passed away and left me the house. All I had to do was download 2 forms from the landregistry website and send them in with a fee (depends on value of house) along with the probate and the house is now in my name. If you ring land registry they will advise you which forms you need etc they're very helpful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,242Users online

Martin's Twitter