Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 17th Jul 08, 11:11 AM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Childcare Costs discussion
    • 17th Jul 08, 11:11 AM
    Childcare Costs discussion 17th Jul 08 at 11:11 AM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the new

Childcare Costs article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 15-06-2010 at 2:33 PM.
Page 9
    • mrsrolfie
    • By mrsrolfie 16th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    mrsrolfie
    Claiming NI credits for grandparents
    Has anyone completed the form CA9176 to transfer NI credits to a grandparent/completed it as a grandparent? TIA
    • wedgefish
    • By wedgefish 17th Apr 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wedgefish
    Childcare Element of working tax credits & NEW Tax free childcare
    I am a single Parent to Three young Children, My annual salary is £25,000 and I am currently paying a registered childminder £120 a week each to look after my children full time while I am at work. (£360 total a week)

I am currently using childcare vouchers which equate to £55 a week of the £360 bill, the remaining amount is subsidized though the childcare element of working Tax credits and my own expense.

My question is this new tax free childcare that is starting in April, will it have any effect on the childcare element of the working Tax credits?

regards David
    • rpc
    • By rpc 19th Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 3,460 Thanks
    rpc
    Yes it will affect it. You will lose it.

You cannot claim any tax credits (or universal credit) while also claiming tax free childcare. It's part of the rules of the new scheme.

In general, claiming tax credits and vouchers is not a good idea because you gain less in vouchers than you lose in tax credits. I think, though, that you may be in the situation we were once in where your childcare costs are above the maximum allowance and so the vouchers have no impact on your entitlement.
    • mrbg07546
    • By mrbg07546 17th May 17, 4:01 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mrbg07546
    i am just been signed up to the tax free vouchers - so it means i have to quit my work vouchers. however i have missed the deadlinbe for payroll this month, so this will be the last month i can employee claim childcare vouchers. can i still claim the tax free childcarE, or should i wait for next month?
    • cellbar
    • By cellbar 23rd May 17, 12:03 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cellbar
    Entitlement for disabled carers
    Somewhere in all of the jargon and the eligibility criteria that I have read, it said that disabled carers would be 'catered for' in the 30 hour eligibility, is there anything more on this - or is there anything about kinship/lac eligibility? What happens if you are self employed but not able to drawer earnings from the business? How about if you are disabled but working in receipt of disability benefits?

These are all valid questions that are not really covered - trying to get through to HMRC is a nightmare - you just keep getting cut off and when you do get through you are told different things by different people!!
    We are the only ones who make life difficult!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 23rd May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    sheramber
    http://www.tax-free-childcare.info/resources/childcare-vouchers-vs-tax-free-childcare/
    • Sameena01
    • By Sameena01 3rd Jun 17, 2:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sameena01
    I've read that you can't claim tax free childcare and childcare vouchers simultaneously. Is that per parent or as a family? Tax free childcare works out more benficial for me as my salary is higher, but my husbands salary is lower so it seems he'll get more back on childcare vouchers. Can we mix and match between us?
    • rpc
    • By rpc 5th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 3,460 Thanks
    rpc
    I've read that you can't claim tax free childcare and childcare vouchers simultaneously. Is that per parent or as a family? Tax free childcare works out more benficial for me as my salary is higher, but my husbands salary is lower so it seems he'll get more back on childcare vouchers. Can we mix and match between us?
    Originally posted by Sameena01
    It's per family. While vouchers were claimed and managed as individuals, the tax free childcare scheme is a family scheme.

If you register for tax free childcare then you must stop your husband's vouchers. End of story. You can continue to spend vouchers if you have an amount sitting in your account, but you cannot accrue any more after registering for tax free childcare.
    • EmmaRoberts200
    • By EmmaRoberts200 14th Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    EmmaRoberts200
    Help!!
    My husband and I have 2 children and pay £300 a month childcare. We are both signed up to the salary sacrifice childcare vouchers. I don't earn enough to pay tax so even though I get vouchers I don't save anything as I don't pay tax. Is it possible for my husband to keep going with the childcare vouchers and I get the tax free childcare?
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter