Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Lotta Littlies
    Herman Friendship Cake??
    • 19th Oct 05, 5:15 PM
    Herman Friendship Cake?? 19th Oct 05 at 5:15 PM
    Got home from the school run this morning to find my friend had left me a mixture along with a "Herman the friendly cake" recipe.

I don't know any other name for it but it is a cake made of living yeast which takes nine days to make, during which time you divide the mixture into four and give three parts to friends. So she's given me one part along with the recipe to continue it, but neither of us know how the recipe begins. :confused:

Now I promise you I'm not mad and I'm hoping that someone out there knows what on earth I'm going on about!

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
Page 1
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 19th Oct 05, 5:29 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 23,096 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 19th Oct 05, 5:29 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 5:29 PM
    i haven't got a clue but it sounds interesting!
    know thyself

MFW 2017 #22 - £3961.18 /£7,000 (56%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Lotta Littlies
    • 19th Oct 05, 5:47 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 5:47 PM
    Ok here are the instructions - hope this sheds some light on it for someone!

Hi, my name is Herman.
    I am a friendly cake. I can live a long time and travel a long way.

This is how you should look after me. I am made from natural yeast, which is ready in nine days. Then you should divide me into four parts so that three friends can spread the friendship and pass it on to their friends.
    Do not put me in the fridge and make usre that I'm not too hot, but I loke to be warm. Put me in a large bowl so that I can grow, but do not cover me with a lid, just a clean tea towel. I need to breathe.

Day 1: Herman arrives

Day 2 and 3: Stir Herman well several times a day with a wooden spoon

Day 4: Herman is hungry, please feed him with : 200g sugar, 125 g plain flour, 200ml milk. Stir well.

Day 5,6,7,8: Stir well a few times a day

Day 9: Herman is hungry again. Please feed him with: 200g sugar, 125 g plain flour, 200ml milk. Stir well.

Divde me into four for three of your friends.

Add the following to the part you have kept:
    150g melted butter
    3 eggs
    250g plain flour
    100g brown sugar
    4 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp cinnamon
    2 apples, peeled, cored, grated
    100g dried fruit.

Mix well and pour Herman into a large greased tin, or 2 smaller ones. Make sure it has about a quarter of the tin to rise because it will overflow. Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake at 15C, Gas Mark 2 for 1 and a half hours.

ENJOY!

Right, now who knows what this is?!! :rolleyes:

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:06 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:06 PM
    A chain letter you can eat?!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • chrislee765
    • By chrislee765 19th Oct 05, 6:15 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    chrislee765
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:15 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:15 PM
    lol i love this idea! I wonder what the recipe is to make Herman!
    -------
    Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    -------
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 19th Oct 05, 6:23 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:23 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:23 PM
    WOW!!!! sounds yummy!

I wish someone would give me a little Herman

I've been wracking my brains to remember where I've heard of something similar to this and I think it's in making ginger beer, which uses the same technique with the yeast, but I can't remember the details now. There may even be a thread about it on this board somewhere as it's quite posible I read it here originally

Oh and of course, not forgetting sour dough, which is made from a live culture that you keep going in the same fashion!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 19th Oct 05, 6:24 PM
    • 9,715 Posts
    • 23,096 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:24 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:24 PM
    A chain letter you can eat?!
    by Gingham Ribbon

wouldnt it be easier just to write on rice paper?!
    know thyself

MFW 2017 #22 - £3961.18 /£7,000 (56%)
    MFi3 v4 #29 target £75,000

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Lotta Littlies
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:26 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:26 PM
    Been Googling like a maniac and found this! ! What do you think?

Lotta
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 19th Oct 05, 6:29 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 15,459 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:29 PM
    • 19th Oct 05, 6:29 PM
    this has been around for years. My mum had something like this during the 70's. It is starter and you just past it on.

further info here and here

Yours

Calley
  • sparklewing
    Hermans great I got one when I was younger completely forgot about him til I read this!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 19th Oct 05, 6:47 PM
    • 37,484 Posts
    • 33,793 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    We had one of these, I confess we got fed up of it and had passed it on to all our friends (and a few of our not friends as well) so killed it off ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 19th Oct 05, 7:29 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    jaybee
    I used to do this as well - it's really nice. Think I'll start it up again.
  • carol_a
    I remember doing it in the early 80's, we just called it a "friendship" cake. Got to be a bit of a pain after a while so gave it up. Sounds similar to a sour dough starter.
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 19th Oct 05, 9:30 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    We did at Easter, I don't know why we used to get it from our neighbour and I think it was called a friendship cake like carol_a

Edited to add a link!!

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/philocrates/Hint/Friendship_CakeBread_History.html

this says it was something to do with the pioneer days!!! Not much info, but some!!

Although having read that I think that's why it was done around Lent maybe, not Easter when using up the rich ingredients???
    Last edited by Murtle; 19-10-2005 at 9:36 PM.
    • Alleycat
    • By Alleycat 19th Oct 05, 10:20 PM
    • 4,507 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Alleycat
    Ah, thats sounds like such a lovely idea! Maybe an old style pressie for christmas for the kids?

You never know, it may still be going next christmas!

Alley
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
  • scuzz
    I remember this - we were eating it for what seemed like years!!!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th Oct 05, 11:49 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    Eating the same cake every ten days sounds like a cruel and unusual punishment to me!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • cath-w
    My mother in-law did this for years with her family. The kept one cake going for about 15 years amongst theoir large family until relatives started to die off.
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 20th Oct 05, 1:05 PM
    • 4,098 Posts
    • 17,843 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    i remember this!!!!! i had one in the 80's and it was called a friendship cake!!!
    #185 12k in 2017 - £850/£3000
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 20th Oct 05, 5:58 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    I remember it as German Friendship Cake back in the 80s
    but more recently a friend brought some of the starter back from a trip home to Belgium. She called it Hermann, so I assumed that was the Belgian/German name for it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

2,000Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin