Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lemoncurd
    • By Lemoncurd 15th Jul 08, 10:18 PM
    • 959Posts
    • 559Thanks
    Lemoncurd
    How long do speeding tickets take to come through?
    • 15th Jul 08, 10:18 PM
    How long do speeding tickets take to come through? 15th Jul 08 at 10:18 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Check our News story from April 2017 on the Tough new penalties for speeding

Back to the original thread:

I know someone who is worried that he might have been caught speeding through a new style fixed camera on the M40 at the weekend. If the camera was active, how long does it normally take for a ticket to come through?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-12-2017 at 2:14 PM.
Page 2
    • Wig
    • By Wig 7th Aug 08, 8:12 PM
    • 13,581 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Wig
    YOU COULD SAY THAT BUT THEN YOU WOULD BE GUILTY OF PERVERTING THE COURSE OF JUSTICE, WHICH IS A LITTLE MORE SERIOUS THAT A MERE SPEEDING FINE, BEARING IN MIND THAT SOME CAMERAS CAN ACTUALLY ID THE DRIVER
    Originally posted by kelv54
    So he could ask for the photo to determine who was driving, then make his mind up on what to do.
  • sandra1970
    Hi
    Does anybody know if you have received a NIP and it has been returned (stupidly posted it back) tomorrow is the 14th day after the "offence" - whats the chances of the ticket not happening ??
    • bargepole
    • By bargepole 21st Jan 09, 12:39 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 6,259 Thanks
    bargepole
    Hi
    Does anybody know if you have received a NIP and it has been returned (stupidly posted it back) tomorrow is the 14th day after the "offence" - whats the chances of the ticket not happening ??
    Originally posted by sandra1970
    About 20,000 to 1 that they will screw up and lose your paperwork. Sending the NIP straight back is daft, you have 28 days to return it and should use all of that time - especially if you're going to request photos to help ID the driver, which they probably won't send now.
    Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 30. Lost 9.
  • dude1990
    speed camera
    i got flashed by a speed camera 14 days ago and havent had a letter through am i safe?
  • Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
    Depends if you're the registered keeper or not.
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 27th Jul 09, 1:15 PM
    • 19,040 Posts
    • 13,960 Thanks
    Hintza
    As long as they posted it in time and Royal Mail haven't stuffed up; you are not quite in the clear yet and they have correct address. But you can probably start breathing a little easier. But give it a day or so to make sure.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 27th Jul 09, 6:20 PM
    • 12,521 Posts
    • 5,171 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    i got flashed by a speed camera 14 days ago and havent had a letter through am i safe?
    Originally posted by dude1990

They have 14 days from the offence to mail the nip, I have been on tenderhooks since 2 weeks last Friday since, will asume all is ok tomorrow:rolleyes:
  • gordikin
    i have my own car with my dad also on the insurance, as i am only 18 i can only get 6 points in the first two years of driving or i get disqualified =( thats like 2 speeding tickets, or one a year which is easy to get really imo. but because my dad is also on the insurance if i get done cna i say he was driving? because he is like 56 and i think he has a clear license
    Originally posted by pullthepin
    Do you want your Dad (big D..he's important!) to lie and take the hit for you?..yes I think you do actually!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 21st Apr 10, 1:05 AM
    • 26,238 Posts
    • 10,475 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Why are you responding to a post from 2008??? lol
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Apr 10, 8:04 AM
    • 59,602 Posts
    • 42,297 Thanks
    soolin
    a friend of mine who asked to borrow my van to move some stuff and he is a foreing in this country, and i lend it to him all i know its his name and his address is abroad in africa which he told me he was leaving that was 2 days after he borrowed the van, and the van is insured to be driven by any driver who is at the age of 25 or over and he is in his 30s, a week later i have recived the NIP and when i asked his where about i managed to get his contacts and his phone number back home and i called him to let him know what has happened, he has informed me he dont remember going through that road, and i cant say whether he is telling the truth or not but i know and am 100% i was no driving that day as i went to visit my mother who is not well.so i realy dont know what to do i have his address in africa and his full name and telephone number, and the camera i went to have a look it took the picture of the rear of the van as its a gatso...i doubt it it will prove who was driving but i am sure its him and he is no longer in this country..any suggestions would be appriciated thank you
    Originally posted by muzzy247
    Try this site :

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

However be aware that the penalty for not identifying the driver is higher than the penalty for speeding in most cases.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Johanna1989
    I'm really worried
    I am really worried that I may have seen a camera flash me. I was driving in my car when my daughter called me I turnt sideways and at the corner of my eye I saw a white flash and I really don't know if it flashed me or the driver next to me. I had just passed a set of traffic lights n moved over to the left hand lane and I was before the line when I saw what looked like a flash (never seen one flash before so i'm confused) I was doing no more than 35 mph in that zone did it flash me? I'm always sticking to the speed limits, and has nearly been killed by reckless drivers on the roads. I'm really worried please help!!

Thanks
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 2nd May 10, 11:59 AM
    • 33,606 Posts
    • 17,511 Thanks
    Quentin
    As previously mentioned in this thread, you need to wait a couple of weeks and see if the registered keeper gets any notification of your speeding.

No point worrying!
  • madspof
    Arghh !
    My dad was flashed the other day driving my car in a 50 doing a 60, anyway we had only had the car for a week and it was still registered in the previous owners name, this being the 4th jan anyway I today have recieved a NIP from almost 3 months ago is this still valid ?
    • Wig
    • By Wig 23rd Mar 11, 7:59 PM
    • 13,581 Posts
    • 7,342 Thanks
    Wig
    My dad was flashed the other day driving my car in a 50 doing a 60, anyway we had only had the car for a week and it was still registered in the previous owners name, this being the 4th jan anyway I today have recieved a NIP from almost 3 months ago is this still valid ?
    Originally posted by madspof
    Absolutley still valid. You can still ask for photos, and take 28 days to respond naming your father. Then your father will get a letter and he can take 28 days to respond.

There is a 6 month time limit on prosecutions, you need to take advantage of this.

However it might be the case that they may be allowed an exception in your case because they only had enough evidence to prosecute when you return your NIP naming your dad, so the 6 months may start from that date.

What I used to do is ignore the 1st NIP and 28 days and wait for them to send me a reminder letter with a further 14 days to respond this always worked for me with further delays by me further down the line. However it may not work for you, it is a gamble on their efficiency and willingness to prosecute rather than hope for an easy sucker to pay the fine.

If you try the delay tactics you are essentially gambling that it will get timed out rather than go to court. But you have to walk the walk not just talk the talk, which means you have to be prepared to go to court and face the music. I never had to. <<<< note the past tense, I haven't had an NIP in 7 years things may have changed now.
    Last edited by Wig; 23-03-2011 at 8:29 PM.
    • Andy010
    • By Andy010 27th Apr 11, 11:19 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Andy010
    I was flashed by a fixed camera last friday (16th May) and ive still not recieved anything through the post. I was doing 35 in a 30 zone, as this is my 1st offence is it likely ill get a chance to take a speed awareness corse?
  • Scooby Doo.
    It's 3 months to issue the summons (lay papers). I prosecute summary offences for a living.
    Originally posted by Tucker
    I hope you've either got a new job or been retrained by now.
  • The JamesS
    I was flashed by a fixed camera last friday (16th May) and ive still not recieved anything through the post. I was doing 35 in a 30 zone, as this is my 1st offence is it likely ill get a chance to take a speed awareness corse?
    Originally posted by Andy010
    not sure i got lasered today he was hididng behing a traffic light and telegraph pole was doing 50 in a 40 overtaking some old bint on the dual carridge way that had been in a clear outside lane for 2 miles grr was just slowing back to 40 and there he was ! never been done before or sped typical been driving 14 years clean licence !
  • Scooby Doo.
    not sure i got lasered today he was hididng behing a traffic light and telegraph pole was doing 50 in a 40 overtaking some old bint on the dual carridge way that had been in a clear outside lane for 2 miles grr was just slowing back to 40 and there he was ! never been done before or sped typical been driving 14 years clean licence !
    Originally posted by The JamesS
    Did you get a ticket?
  • bigmike20vt
    I presume i got caught on one of those mobile police vans on Sat on a dual carriageway.

I think i was going too fast my speed had crept up without me realising DOH!.

A bit of a squeeky bum 2 weeks coming up i guess.

What annoys me is, ok sure i WAS going a bit to fast but...

The area the van was on was a good safe road, no junctions cutting across or pull outs etc.

5 mile either side of the van there were some really sticky parts of the road with cars having to cut across the carriageway etc.

These are the places which imo the cameras would be put if it was truly about making roads safer... (but of course I always slow down in these places as rightly or wrongly I tend to read the road rather than the road signs if you catch my drift so they would not make as much money).

I saw the van as well, but i had not realised quite how fast i was going.
    Last edited by bigmike20vt; 06-09-2011 at 8:55 AM.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 7th Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 8,838 Posts
    • 21,149 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Interestingly, this discussion is one of the most popular forum threads from Google this year.

Wonder why?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

4,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Do you always use soap (if available) while washing your hands after going to the loo in a public toilet?

• RT @mark76stewart: Sledging!? I?ll say! That?s worse sledging than the Aussies @MartinSLewis !! £6.99 each or 2 for £20 @WHSmith ?? https:?

• RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• Follow Martin