Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 15th Jul 08, 8:28 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion
    • 15th Jul 08, 8:28 PM
    Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion 15th Jul 08 at 8:28 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 14-06-2010 at 3:32 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 56
  • lu lu
    Pls help - best provider for scatty 90 yr old
    Please assist: cheapest line rental, prepared to pay up front 12/18 months, caller display essential, internet billing. Inclusive calls useful but not essential as few calls made.
    • tony_w
    • By tony_w 31st Jul 15, 7:28 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    tony_w
    plusnet allow use of override provider access codes. I use them with an orchid dialler box to auto prefix numbers I dial with 18185.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 31st Jul 15, 7:53 AM
    • 6,386 Posts
    • 19,288 Thanks
    Doc N
    plusnet allow use of override provider access codes. I use them with an orchid dialler box to auto prefix numbers I dial with 18185.
    Originally posted by tony_w
    I can confirm that, having just checked. Wasn't aware - thanks for posting.
    • mgriff5
    • By mgriff5 12th Dec 16, 8:43 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    mgriff5
    Please expand article to include "Cheapest All Inclusive Minutes" landlines
    Hi

For many years now I keep popping back to this article to see what the best deals are for a landline but unfortunately it never covers best "all inclusive minutes" deals.

I have a few family members with serious illness (both physical and mentally) and I can easily spend a good hour on the phone to them twice a day when times are difficult.

On top of this my job is based at home too. I do have a mobile phone with a 1000 minutes and although this is plenty, I dislike using a mobile phone for long periods. (They get hot, are uncomfortable, and the battery runs out just when you don't want it to!)

On top of this I pay for my terminally ill dad's phone bill and he calls me sometimes and it is such a horrible nasty thought when you catch yourself thinking "If I had phone him it would be free but because he's phoned me it is costing me loads". I hate myself for having those thoughts but as a hardend money saver I sometimes can't help it!

I personally have flipped between Plusnet then talktalk and Plusnet again, taking advantage of good Quidco offers along the way.

It would be great if Steve N could expand the article slightly to cover those of us who simply need those inclusive minutes for peace of mind.

Thanks
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 12th Dec 16, 9:16 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    If there is no need for broadband, or you get broadband from somewhere other than BT, BT offers their Home Phone Saver deal for £21 per month and the price is frozen for three years after signup.

The price includes line rental and unlimited anytime calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers. Calls to mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079 are 6.5p per minute. The deal also includes Caller Display and Voicemail 1571. It also includes calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers.

Using a dial-through provider with an inclusive 0845 or 0870 access number also allows calls to mobile numbers and to other 084 and 087 numbers to be made with no further charge.

If you can avoid calling numbers starting 070, 09 and 118 there will be nothing further to pay each month.

Other providers such as Plusnet, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media have more expensive deals but these deals have inclusive calls to mobile numbers. TalkTalk and some others no longer offer inclusive calls to 0845 or 0870 numbers.
    Last edited by Ian011; 12-12-2016 at 9:27 PM.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 12th Dec 16, 9:24 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    buglawton
    Originally posted by tony_w
    If Plusnet would offer me a written undertaking that this policy was not going to change for the next 3 years I'd move a phone account (with UK anytime calls included) to them - broadband on that line already being Plusnet.
    • picks
    • By picks 14th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    picks
    New Call Telecom (AKA Fuel Broadband) sinks
    I've been a customer of New Call for a number of years and Primus before them.Currently for me they're branded as Fuel Broadband. I just have a phone line with them and, including free evening and weekend calls this costs me a little under £13/month.

They have just informed me they're going out of business and transferring their customer base to the Post Office. Strangely:
    1. Their website http://www.newcalltelecom.co.uk says nothing whatever about them going out of business and indeed gives the impression that they are:
      one of the fastest growing residential broadband service providers in the UK
      It seems very strange to me that neither here nor on their http://www.fuelbroadband.co.uk/ home page is anything mentioned about going out of business.
    2. Post Office are making me a "special offer" for 12 months at £17/month after which it will shoot up to £19.4/month. That's a huge increase. Is there nothing anyone is aware of that offers a straight home phone (no broadband) service for less?
    • sprocket1
    • By sprocket1 14th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sprocket1
    Home phone options
    I've recently renewed my contract with the Post Office, and you should be able to get something better than that from them, if you negotiate. Other companies offering reasonably priced line rental are SSE (who had a special offer ending sometime in June) and Direct Save Telecom.
    • Victor_Delta
    • By Victor_Delta 14th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Victor_Delta
    I've been a customer of New Call for a number of years and Primus before them.Currently for me they're branded as Fuel Broadband. I just have a phone line with them and, including free evening and weekend calls this costs me a little under £13/month.

They have just informed me they're going out of business and transferring their customer base to the Post Office. Strangely:
    1. Their website http://www.newcalltelecom.co.uk says nothing whatever about them going out of business and indeed gives the impression that they are:
      one of the fastest growing residential broadband service providers in the UK
      It seems very strange to me that neither here nor on their http://www.fuelbroadband.co.uk/ home page is anything mentioned about going out of business.
    2. Post Office are making me a "special offer" for 12 months at £17/month after which it will shoot up to £19.4/month. That's a huge increase. Is there nothing anyone is aware of that offers a straight home phone (no broadband) service for less?
    Originally posted by picks
    Sorry to hear this - I'm one of their customers as well but haven't yet received any notification about what's happening. However, u switch has posted a news item about it (dated yesterday) https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2017/06/fuel_broadband_is_closing_and_migrating_customers_ to_post_office/
    • picks
    • By picks 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    picks
    Post Office say "take our price or push off"
    I've recently renewed my contract with the Post Office, and you should be able to get something better than that from them, if you negotiate. Other companies offering reasonably priced line rental are SSE (who had a special offer ending sometime in June) and Direct Save Telecom.
    Originally posted by sprocket1
    I had a chat with them over the phone and the figures they gave me for the matching package (including evening/weekend landline calls), were:
    £17.50/month (37% price hike) if I was prepared to commit to 12 month contract or
    £19.49/month (52% price hike) otherwise.
    I said this was a massive increase on my present price. Their answer was in effect tough luck, either take it or push off elsewhere. There was no appetite whatever for any haggling. What improvement on their high prices did you negotiate with them?
    • bendipa
    • By bendipa 22nd Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    bendipa
    I had a chat with them over the phone and the figures they gave me for the matching package (including evening/weekend landline calls), were:
    £17.50/month (37% price hike) if I was prepared to commit to 12 month contract or
    £19.49/month (52% price hike) otherwise.
    I said this was a massive increase on my present price. Their answer was in effect tough luck, either take it or push off elsewhere. There was no appetite whatever for any haggling. What improvement on their high prices did you negotiate with them?
    Originally posted by picks
    I'm in the same situation with Fuel Broadband and tried to contact the Post Office to haggle over landline rate, but after a 25 minute wait I gave up. Having read this now it seems that I saved myself some stress.

Decided to switch my landline to Plusnet and pay for a 24 month fixed price contract for the broadband. With landline, it works out just over £20 pcm, about £4 more than I have previously paid in total (excluding calls), only now I have unlimited broadband usage, whereas before I had 10 GB maximum usage pcm with Plusnet, above which I paid extra charges.
    Last edited by bendipa; 22-06-2017 at 8:27 PM.
    • Raywill
    • By Raywill 23rd Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Raywill
    Cheapest Home Phone of all
    If you buy 250 shares in Telecoms company Adept Telecom they will give you free residential line rental plus free evening and weekend calls. The only other cost is £9 for BT to switch you over at the exchange. Does 18185 work? Yes! But call charges are at wholesale rates, too.
    They also pay a very nice yearly dividend (tax free for most of you).
    MSE declined to list it because they assume it is business only. No, it is not. This deal is for residential lines only.
    Unfortunately the shares will cost you more that they cost me two years ago because the company is very successful and shares have more than doubled in that time. A healthy profit! Click Investors on their website.
    Don`t forget, shares can go down as well as up!
    • picks
    • By picks 23rd Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    picks
    If you buy 250 shares in Telecoms company Adept Telecom they will give you free residential line rental plus free evening and weekend calls.
    Originally posted by Raywill
    Hmmm, I can't see any details of this magic offer on their website. Please state exactly where the details of this offer are available to view by consumers.
    • Raywill
    • By Raywill 24th Jun 17, 8:40 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Raywill
    Cheapest Home Phone of All
    There are several companies with Adept in the title, so it is very easy to look at the wrong website! Whenever I have tried to put the web page on this forum it has been rejected, but here goes: www.adept-telecom.co.uk/investors . The important bit is right in the middle of the page, just under the Latest Financial Results percentages.
    For more information you can contact the Finance Director in person. His link is in there.
    You can mention my name if you like, but I get no fee or commission!
    Ray Williamson.
    • Raywill
    • By Raywill 24th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Raywill
    BTW, if you do buy shares (even in an ISA or nominee account) you can attend their AGM which is normally on the last Wednesday morning in September (check nearer the time) in Tunbridge Wells, and chat with all the Directors. Now you may not be able to do that so easily with BT!
    They also have a car park!
    • Raywill
    • By Raywill 24th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Raywill
    Economical Broadband without landline
    Because I get free line rental (see above), I use Mobile broadband via a dongle. I recommend a 4G dongle (it will cost you a bit more than a 3G one). EE seem to offer very good deals.
    Avoid third-party suppliers you can find on Ebay. Some scammers take your money and don`t pass it on to the actual provider. They scam both you and the provider!
    You do need good signal strength. To get this I use a 1 metre USB extension and prop up the dongle in a window facing towards the mobile mast, and it makes a big difference!
    Last edited by Raywill; 24-06-2017 at 8:58 PM. Reason: correcting one word
    • picks
    • By picks 24th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    picks
    Because I get free line rental (see above), I use Mobile broadband via a dongle. I recommend a 4G dongle (it will cost you a bit more than a 3G one). EE seem to offer very good deals.
    You mean a dongle attached to a USB port on a PC? If so I think that only puts you online for one single device. I organise my mobile broadband differently. I currently have what I think is known as a 4G MiFi device, a TP-Link M7350. It has the advantage over a dongle that it can handle a bunch of wireless devices at the same time. It still has the disadvantage that it doesn't support wired devices. So my next project is to configure a TP-LINK MR200 which purports to do both and, in theory, means you may not need wired broadband at all - time will tell!.
    • money4nothing
    • By money4nothing 10th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    money4nothing
    Fuel Broadband quitting the market, Post Office "offer"
    Hi -

I am a current Fuel Broadband (FBB) customer for home phone only paying £11.82 pcm (ex VAT). As you probably all know, FBB is leaving the phone market and business is moving to the Post Office. My offer from the PO? £17.50 pcm - when I spoke to them, they said that this is the "best" offer that they have for me.

I have a second line into my home which is BT-run. They have no appetite to discount the second line.

Time to ditch the phone-only line methinks!

Annual saving? North of £300 - thank you for the prompt to take action FBB/PO!
    • jstallan
    • By jstallan 12th Aug 17, 2:24 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    jstallan
    I'd been with Primus for years on a line rental deal and now received my first Post Office bill. Called them to discuss the matter and nearly lost the will to live waiting in the queue. When I did get to speak to them I found them rude and there was far to much background noise (their end) to have a decent conversation. They confirmed I could leave anytime as I wasn't under contract - So I am!

Called my broadband provider (PlusNet) and as an existing customer (since 2002) got a cracking deal on line rental.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 12th Aug 17, 9:55 PM
    • 7,003 Posts
    • 3,227 Thanks
    buglawton
    If you buy 250 shares in Telecoms company Adept Telecom they will give you free residential line rental plus free evening and weekend calls. The only other cost is £9 for BT to switch you over at the exchange. Does 18185 work? Yes! But call charges are at wholesale rates, too.
    They also pay a very nice yearly dividend (tax free for most of you).
    MSE declined to list it because they assume it is business only. No, it is not. This deal is for residential lines only.
    Unfortunately the shares will cost you more that they cost me two years ago because the company is very successful and shares have more than doubled in that time. A healthy profit! Click Investors on their website.
    Don`t forget, shares can go down as well as up!
    Adept's residential tariff table is the first I've seen that charges 3p/min for inbound calls.

Also of interest is that 3 Adept directors sold approx £3m worth of shares on Aug 2nd.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,504Users online

Martin's Twitter