Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > New Car Tax rules - tax on pre 2001 car? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New Car Tax rules - tax on pre 2001 car?
Closed Thread
Views: 8,188
# 1
FairyElephant
Old 10-07-2008, 9:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default New Car Tax rules - tax on pre 2001 car?

Hi All,

With all the hoo-ha about the new car tax rates coming in next year, I keep reading news articles hoping to find out how much it will be for pre-2001 cars, but it never seems to be mentioned!

DH & I both run what most people would term 'old bangers' (well they are both old, but in excellant condition and low-mileage - we can't see the point of getting newer cars if there's nothing wrong with these!) and I want to know if we're going to have a price-hike on both our tax. Due to pending changes in jobs/hours we MAY be able to change to one car between us next year, but I'm trying to work out if this is viable, and the future expenses will affect the decision.

Can anyone help please?

TIA,

FE
# 2
payless
Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Current
Road tax pre-2001
Engine size (cc)Annual rate
1549 and under £120
Over 1549 £185

but for these pre 2001 cars ( 1/3/2001)

looks like no change in 2009 .. the £185 will rise to £200 in 2010
but appears the lower £120 will remain that year
Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.

Last edited by payless; 10-07-2008 at 10:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to payless For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
payless
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Makes an interesting postition will my 2000 gas guzzler now be worth more than a 2001 model ? as tax over 3 yrs

Annual tax - from 2010 £200 - £455 = £255pa cheaper to run

( i did the 2008-2009 figures also but getting conflicting figures from Times & Parkers as to the transitional rates - it could be another £200pa + in those yrs as well )
Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.

Last edited by payless; 10-07-2008 at 10:31 AM.
# 4
shelene
Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, im in a similar position, i have a 51 reg MG ZS 2.5 V6, does any one know how much car tax will be for this car??
its due in December!
my OH wants to sell and get something smaller but this car is really reliable, dont do many miles and worried about getting another 2nd hand car that potentially could have things wrong with it! dont have much money, and cant get finance!
# 5
payless
Old 10-07-2008, 10:38 AM

assuming its regsitered after 2001...
and its the 180ps model ( listed as 227g.. ouch - so close to next band down)

From 2010 itlisted to be £430pa

Times report says £400 this yr, then 415, then £430

Parkers £210 , £300, then £430 ( think this assumes the other 2006 cut off date .. not sure if thats still the case- but would have though they would know- and backed up by AA site

Quote:
The Treasury has said but not officially confirmed that cars emitting over 226g CO2/km but bought before Budget 2006 will move into Band K in 2009/10 - and will continue to benefit from a reduced rate, and only in 2010/11 will these cars be placed into the band that corresponds to the car's actual CO2 emissions.
list here http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...g_roadtax.html

parkers calculator http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/road-tax/

Last edited by payless; 10-07-2008 at 10:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to payless For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Indout96
Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

At a guess I do not see these rises coming in at nearly the amounts they are saying at the moment. By the time they are due we will be ready for an election and suprise suprise they will repeal them to try to buy votes (and it will probably work)
There is no way to justify it as a green tax (even greenpeace dont like it) so they will change "due to being a caring party" LOL at the last min, just as they will the 2p petrol rise later this year.
Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
BHP is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
# 7
payless
Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM

Post 2006 , top band cars are alreadly ( from 3/08) 400pa
# 8
Morty_007
Old 10-07-2008, 8:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

OK, i'm REALLY confused!!

We own 2 renault clios.
mine is 1.2L TD 2003 and currently road tax costs me 35 a year

DH's is 1996 1.5l petrol whic costs him 120 a year...are these rates going to go up significantly?! I can't find the relevant table to show costs.

TIA
Mx
Good Enough Club member number 27(2) AND I got me a stalkee!
Closet debt free wannabe - Last personal loan payment - July 2010, credit card balance about 3000 (and dropping FAST), Last car payment September 2010 (August 2010 aparently!!)
And a mortgage in a pear tree
# 9
manch235ter
Old 10-07-2008, 8:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

so anything pre 2001 is still banded as 1549 and under 120
Over 1549 185? I just taxed my 1.8 diesel p reg mondeo and sure it was more than that?

how the hell are we supposed to do anything about it? I can hardly afford to keep it legally on the road as it is, never be able to change the car if that is what that thief Brown is tying to force me to do
James thinks worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

If i help you...Please thank me!
# 10
manch235ter
Old 10-07-2008, 8:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

use the parkers car tax calculator quoted in one of the quotes above - spot on
James thinks worrying is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere

If i help you...Please thank me!
# 11
anewman
Old 10-07-2008, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payless View Post
Current
Road tax pre-2001
Engine size (cc)Annual rate
1549 and under 120
Over 1549 185

but for these pre 2001 cars ( 1/3/2001)

looks like no change in 2009 .. the 185 will rise to 200 in 2010
but appears the lower 120 will remain that year

I'm happy now
# 12
Conor
Old 11-07-2008, 4:17 PM
PPR

Welcome to the ludicrous farce that is the "green" road tax which means you can have a 5.7L V8 1965 Ford Mustang which has a lower road tax than a Toyota Pius.
# 13
anewman
Old 11-07-2008, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
Welcome to the ludicrous farce that is the "green" road tax which means you can have a 5.7L V8 1965 Ford Mustang which has a lower road tax than a Toyota Pius.
So in a way it's a stealth tax on rich people - which can only be a good thing IMO as they won't be agreeing with paying extra income tax the greedy !!!!!!s.
# 14
oldagetraveller
Old 11-07-2008, 4:40 PM

Quote:
And much lower Conor, at 0 for the Mustang!
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
# 15
Conor
Old 11-07-2008, 7:27 PM
PPR

Madness isn't it? Makes a complete mockery of Browns claim that it's all about the environment.
# 16
vaio
Old 11-07-2008, 8:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
or a 1999 2.7L twin turbo 285bhp Audi S4 for less than a 2001 1.8 vectra.

When I bought it the 2001 cars were worth £1k+ more than the 1999 cars, I expect the position is reversed now
# 17
in51der
Old 11-07-2008, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyElephant View Post
Hi All,

With all the hoo-ha about the new car tax rates coming in next year, I keep reading news articles hoping to find out how much it will be for pre-2001 cars, but it never seems to be mentioned!

DH & I both run what most people would term 'old bangers' (well they are both old, but in excellant condition and low-mileage - we can't see the point of getting newer cars if there's nothing wrong with these!) and I want to know if we're going to have a price-hike on both our tax. Due to pending changes in jobs/hours we MAY be able to change to one car between us next year, but I'm trying to work out if this is viable, and the future expenses will affect the decision.

Can anyone help please?

TIA,

FE
Hi good news you will not be affected at all, as the tax hikes only apply to 01y reg and newer, indeed you maybe pleased to know that if you have a w/x plate car it will almost certainly be worth a few hundred pounds more than 01y for exactly that reason, so carry on enjoying your cars because all you have to worry about is the fuel price!
Motor Trade Insider
(google us)
Please note no links were created during the making of this signature
Closed Thread