Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 138
    • Mike J
    • By Mike J 2nd Apr 17, 8:41 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    Mike J
    It looks like there's a substantial error in the rates given by Travelmoneymax for using Clarity card, too high for PLN, too low for CZK, EUR - maybe all rates...
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Think I might "double-check" the comparison results with the mastercard currency converter as well. Thought the quoted rate looked wayyyyyyyyy to good.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 22nd May 17, 3:03 PM
    • 15,186 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    hollydays
    Is there still a comparison tool on here to find out where to get the best rate on euros?
    • christon1
    • By christon1 22nd May 17, 3:55 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    christon1
    Hi

I have quite a lot of Egyptian pounds, I wanted to re sell them back as obviously cannot go anymore, Asda advised me that they do not buy or sell Egyptian notes anymore and I most probably will lose the value which is about £500. Does anyone know if I can exchange them anywhere?
    • DownTime
    • By DownTime 22nd May 17, 4:20 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    DownTime
    Hi

I have quite a lot of Egyptian pounds, I wanted to re sell them back as obviously cannot go anymore, Asda advised me that they do not buy or sell Egyptian notes anymore and I most probably will lose the value which is about £500. Does anyone know if I can exchange them anywhere?
    Originally posted by christon1
    http://www.linkfx.co.uk/rates/
    • mrsvanderkamp
    • By mrsvanderkamp 5th Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    mrsvanderkamp
    MoneyCorp
    Hi

I have ordered some euros to pick up at Stansted on Saturday. I did this primarily because the rate offered was 1.1289, but as you pay on collection, if the rate goes up significantly post the GE, I could cancel the order and start again without incurring any loss. My only question, and I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer to on their website, is whether if the rate I have ordered at is fixed, meaning that if the rate goes down, I still get my euros as per my confirmed order rate? I think this is the case from past use with them, but I just want to be sure and wondered if anyone could confirm.

Many thanks
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 5th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    Hi

I have ordered some euros to pick up at Stansted on Saturday. I did this primarily because the rate offered was 1.1289, but as you pay on collection, if the rate goes up significantly post the GE, I could cancel the order and start again without incurring any loss. My only question, and I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer to on their website, is whether if the rate I have ordered at is fixed, meaning that if the rate goes down, I still get my euros as per my confirmed order rate? I think this is the case from past use with them, but I just want to be sure and wondered if anyone could confirm.

Many thanks
    Originally posted by mrsvanderkamp
    Why would you do so anyway? It's not a good rate.
    Monzo should be able to get a card out to you. Better still if in or around London, pick up a Metro Bank debit card. The create them in branch and dispense them on the spot.
    What cards do you have currently?
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 10th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,859 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    AlexMac
    Only just seen your post
    Is there still a comparison tool on here to find out where to get the best rate on euros?
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Uhh? Yes. Click Travel on the topbar and it leads you to
    http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com
    (I assume you're on a handset or app- otherwise it's obvious?

Anyway- worth using; I follow its advice meticulously, exchange cash from an agency at a great pre-ordered rate prior for day to day expenses (I don't like to use cards in unknown restaurants or shops especially in Southern Italy; I have friends who've been scammed in London, let alone Camorra-land!)

Better still, I finally got round to getting a Halifax Clarity credit card for hotel bills for bigger sums;

and using this, I got a great rate late last month- 5% better than the ATM rate when I had to get another 250 Euros out on my Natwest Card in Spain; so a 12.50 Euro saving which is the price of a meal with wine in Cantabria!

So thank you Martin and the MSE geeks!
    Last edited by AlexMac; 10-06-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: popped out for tapas y tinto
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    eDicky
    or shops especially in Southern Italy; I have friends who've been scammed in London, let alone Camorra-land!)

Better still, I finally got round to getting a Halifax Clarity credit card for hotel bills for bigger sums;

and using this, I got a great rate late last month- 5% better than the ATM rate when I had to get another 250 Euros out on my Natwest Card in Spain; so a 12.50 Euro saving which is the price of a meal with wine in Cantabria!
    Originally posted by AlexMac
    What do you mean by 'ATM rate'? Did you select to be debited in pounds?

Why don't you withdraw cash with your Clarity or other travel card, instead of paying more to buy cash euros?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 10th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    Only just seen your post

Uhh? Yes. Click Travel on the topbar and it leads you to
    http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com
    (I assume you're on a handset or app- otherwise it's obvious?

Anyway- worth using; I follow its advice meticulously, exchange cash from an agency at a great pre-ordered rate prior for day to day expenses (I don't like to use cards in unknown restaurants or shops especially in Southern Italy; I have friends who've been scammed in London, let alone Camorra-land!)

So thank you Martin and the MSE geeks!
    You appear to have totally misinterpreted just about all the advice given on this board.
    You can use the Clarity for taking cash out in Euros from an ATM in Italy. Absolutely no reason to use the ludicrously expensive NatWest card.
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 11th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    murphydavid
    Just to agree with the previous post.
    You can use Halifax Clarity everywhere; for small and big sums up to your credit limit, including any shop that takes credit cards just like in the UK and most ATMs for cash. Always ask / check you pay the amount to be paid in local currency, don't let them covert it to pounds for you because some try to give you a worse exchange rate if given half a chance.
    • Raystockton
    • By Raystockton 14th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Raystockton
    I am also looking for the best rates. Currently with Norwich& Peterborough. No charges and the best rates. Only good till later this year. Anyone know of the best rates from the switching banks?
    • murphydavid
    • By murphydavid 14th Jun 17, 5:40 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    murphydavid
    I am also looking for the best rates. Currently with Norwich& Peterborough. No charges and the best rates. Only good till later this year. Anyone know of the best rates from the switching banks?
    Originally posted by Raystockton
    If you are asking what I think you are then in my opinion you are best not to combine switching banks with trying to get the best cheap travel money. I sugest you read the MSE artical on switching banks and similarly read the MSE artical on cheap travel money and treat each as a completely separate exercise. I don't think there is a single bank that is best at both.
    • Maxwell007
    • By Maxwell007 15th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Maxwell007
    I'm flying out on Saturday and silly me has been waiting for the Euro to pick up against the pound . . .

today its 1.265 to the £, that's 560euro for £497,

Will I get a better rate over in Spain when I land !?
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 15th Jun 17, 4:08 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    I'm flying out on Saturday and silly me has been waiting for the Euro to pick up against the pound . . .

today its 1.265 to the £, that's 560euro for £497,

Will I get a better rate over in Spain when I land !?
    Originally posted by Maxwell007
    That isn't the rate. You are looking at the Sell rate as opposed to the Buy rate. The rate is 1.14442 EUR
    You won't get that here. Only from an ATM with the correct plastic.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    eDicky
    ...Or maybe the dollar rate..?

Mid-market rate for euro right now is 1.144

We don't know who you intend to exchange with.
    • Pallison84
    • By Pallison84 20th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Pallison84
    I got married this year in Lithuania and we received a lot of money as wedding gifts. The value of the pound would mean we would lose money paying into our Lloyds Bank account what is the best way to to put this money into our savings
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 21st Jun 17, 1:29 AM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    eDicky
    I got married this year in Lithuania and we received a lot of money as wedding gifts. The value of the pound would mean we would lose money paying into our Lloyds Bank account what is the best way to to put this money into our savings
    Originally posted by Pallison84
    It's the opposite, the weak pound is in your favour, it's cheap to buy with foreign currency. Use a service such as TransferWise to convert and send it - is it in a bank account in LTL or EUR?
    • Emi18
    • By Emi18 13th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emi18
    Croatia Currency
    I am going on holiday to Croatia and not sure what to do about travel money. In Croatia they use the Croatian Kuna, some places accept Euros but not all so I am going to use the Croatian currency. Does anyone know whether it is best to exchange the currency in the UK or to just take a bank card and use an ATM and does anyone know what the charge would be to withdraw from an ATM in Croatia?
    Also can anyone give me an idea of how much things cost in Croatia?
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 13th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 11,987 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    zagfles
    I am going on holiday to Croatia and not sure what to do about travel money. In Croatia they use the Croatian Kuna, some places accept Euros but not all so I am going to use the Croatian currency. Does anyone know whether it is best to exchange the currency in the UK or to just take a bank card and use an ATM and does anyone know what the charge would be to withdraw from an ATM in Croatia?
    Also can anyone give me an idea of how much things cost in Croatia?
    Originally posted by Emi18
    IME very few places accept Euros, even places that advertised prices in Euros didn't accept them! A lot of places quote prices in Euros for infomation only but want paying in Kunas. I found this a complete PITA as you have to think in 3 currencies.

ATMs don't charge, at least none of those I used did and I used quite a lot. Your bank might charge so get a fee free card if you haven't already got one. Don't but Kunas here, the rate will be rubbish. The major airports have ATMs so just withdraw on arrival. If the ATM offers currency conversion, decline it.

Croatia is fairly cheap compared to the UK, not dirt cheap but significantly cheaper than here for most stuff, even in the touristy areas. It's probably a lot cheaper off the beaten track.
    Last edited by zagfles; 13-07-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    • erb
    • By erb 14th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 515 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    erb
    Can I exchange icelandic kronas for euros? Got some icelandic kronas left and next holiday will be needing euros so wondering if I will be abel to exchange directly or have to exchange the icelandic kronas to £s and then buy euros with the £s.
    Regards
    erb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin