Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Route, no motorways or dual carriageways. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Route, no motorways or dual carriageways.
Closed Thread
Views: 11,864
# 1
WOW Factor 0
andreweastell
Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Route, no motorways or dual carriageways.

My wife is a very nervous driver. She wants to drive from Shipley, West Yorkshire to Hornsea, East Yorkshire avoiding motorways and dual carriageways.
Does anyone know of a Route Planner that can show a route, please?
Thanks
Andrew
# 2
debs66
Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hi, have you tried www.uk.map24.com ??

search for each place, then right click on each and select either 'route from' or 'route to'. there is then an option to configure your route. select 'no motorways'.

i haven't long since found this site, and it takes a little getting used to, but i think it will do the trick if you spend a little while with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debs66 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
M4RKM
Old 07-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

the only problem, with the "no motorways" on any site / gps system, it will still let you go on dual carriageways, are any vehicle is allowed to go on these roads.

maybe, the easiest way, is going to be the old fashioned one, of getting the maps out, and working out which roads you can go on.

also, it'll probably take 4 hours, rather than 2 and a half, if you went over the M62, which is the main route.

other roads, such as the A63 are doable, but they change to dual carriageways in plenty of places!

very difficult planning such a long route, with such restrictions IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to M4RKM For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
colmil
Old 08-07-2008, 7:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If she is so scared of roads, frankly, she should not be driving anywhrere!
Filiss
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to colmil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
khizman
Old 08-07-2008, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmil View Post
If she is so scared of roads, frankly, she should not be driving anywhrere!
Indeed, is she able to feel safe in her car at 60 on a single carriageway, if so why not at 70 on a dual carriageway?
The Following User Says Thank You to khizman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
colmil
Old 08-07-2008, 8:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Do you really think she will exceed 30 mph?

What happens if she has to overtake a tractor?
Filiss
# 7
daveyjp
Old 08-07-2008, 9:15 PM

Being wary of roads and the dangers is not such a bad thing, go to far and you have the problem your wife has.

Rather than be hamstrung by the problem I advise getting her some extra lessons on motorway and dual carriageway driving - the Bingley bypass is only just down the road. A few trips to Silsden and back on the A650 and she would be more comfortable.

What if she sets off, takes a wrong turning and ends up on a dual carriageway or motorway?

My dad once came across someone who wouldn't turn right and would go miles out of their way doing left turns. A few lessons and their irrational fear was sorted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daveyjp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
LesD
Old 09-07-2008, 7:54 PM

It's a proven fact that motorways and dual carriageways have fewer accidents per driven mile than single carriageways.

Probably because the less-than-confident drivers don't use them!
# 9
ssedd
Old 09-07-2008, 8:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Try google maps, it has a directions section that you put the from and to address in and it will calculate a route. It wont automatically remove the motorways and dual carraigeways but it will allow you to view the map and then drag your route about manually so you can avoid the roads you dont want to travel on. This will probably make more sense if you take a look at it!
# 10
LesD
Old 09-07-2008, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssedd View Post
Try google maps, it has a directions section that you put the from and to address in and it will calculate a route. It wont automatically remove the motorways and dual carraigeways but it will allow you to view the map and then drag your route about manually so you can avoid the roads you dont want to travel on. This will probably make more sense if you take a look at it!
Google tries! Tick the 'avoid highways' box and it will produce a non-motorway route.

However, for this trip, I think the best solution is:

Shipley - Guiseley - Wetherby - York - Beverley - Hornsea.

(Have fun getting through York!!!)
# 11
belfastgirl23
Old 09-07-2008, 8:45 PM

Would hypnotherapy help?

I used to love dual carrigeways when I was a very nervous R driver and was out driving. You could tuck yourself in and drive at the speed you wanted knowing that you weren't going to be stuck with some idiot desperate to overtake behind you. I can see the worry about motorways easier but speeds have slowed down a lot since the oil prices started to rise

The AA routefinder does give you an option to avoid motorways I think... but I do think tackling the problem should be her first step...

# 12
meester
Old 09-07-2008, 8:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesD View Post
Google tries! Tick the 'avoid highways' box and it will produce a non-motorway route.

However, for this trip, I think the best solution is:

Shipley - Guiseley - Wetherby - York - Beverley - Hornsea.

(Have fun getting through York!!!)
hmm, not sure

Shipley, Guiseley, Boston Spa, Tadcaster, Bubwith, Beverley, Hornsea
# 13
MarkyMarkD
Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Exactly what belfastgirl says.

It is mad to refuse to use dual carriageways.

A dual carriageway is far easier to drive on than a single carriageway road. Simply ignore the outside lanes and drive in the left-hand one. You won't annoy other drivers by pootling along a single carriageway road at 40mph, because on a dual carriageway they can overtake you.

And on the best dual carriageways (and all motorways) you have far less hassle from people joining the road and nobody trying to join it from the wrong side (turning right in front of you).
# 14
meonline
Old 09-04-2011, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

May be she doesn't WANT to 'fix' the problem?! May be she isn't inerested in some patronising driving instructor telling her that her fear is 'irrational?!' Perhaps his wife only learnt to drive to do the school run and collect the weekly shop and is usually more than happy driving round town where it causes her no problem! In which case, what is wrong with her wanting a rural route for a one off trip?

Personally I think if you are cautious of mororways maybe you should avoid them. I don't mind dual carriage ways at all, but I can see how some are set out like motorways, and most of us who don't like these major roads, don;t like them because of the slip stream of getting on, not actually being ON the road. I hate motorways, use them very rarely for this very reason, and would happily take a longer route! I would how ever go on a dual carriage way, many of them are on by round about, and those which aren't are rarely as busy as a motorway; thus there is little filtering in to the traffic required.
But if she doesn't like dual carriage way either? Well that's her perrogative. I hope she finds a nice, easy pleasurable drive rather than putting her self under undue stress. And I hope she never takes those stupid motorway driving lessons; they did me no good at all! Whooppee so you feel comfortable driving on a motorway with someone next to you making and confirming decisions... how on earth does that help once you're out on your own??? I think it's just a case of waiting til you're a more confident driver, or, if you plain don't like it... get a good sat nav :-D Mine is well trained to avoid Motorways, lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to meonline For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
pennylane99
Old 09-04-2011, 9:04 PM

This thread is from July 2008.....
# 16
real1314
Old 09-04-2011, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylane99 View Post
This thread is from July 2008.....

Perhaps "meonline" has been reviewing and re-wording thier post since then as the initial drafts came across as too angry?
The Following User Says Thank You to real1314 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Tedliplegress
Old 09-04-2011, 9:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Tedliplegress
Default Route no motorways or dual carriageways

You fail to mention that Hideout Leathers are also on part of the route Grin

Which bends are you referring to?

Shack
Closed Thread