IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Amazon Prime membership -
Closed Thread
Views: 31,220
# 1
rwilts
Old 07-07-2008, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Amazon Prime membership -

SORRY,

I know this is not the place but cannot find anywhere else that fits! :confused:

I have made a school boy mistake - i agreed to months trial of Amazon Prime but forgot and 3 days ago they took £49-00 for the next 12 months. I will not get value for money as i buy very little from Amazon.

There is an option that says, If you havent used the preferential postal system you can cancel account. BUT what i cannot find anywhere is,

do i get my money back?

I cannot see any point in offering this option if you dont , but i dont want to cancel 3 days in if i loose any benefit for the next 362 days and dont get my money back.

SORRY again,

Google is our friend
Can I cancel my membership to Amazon Prime?

You can cancel your membership in Your Account at any time before you or your registered guests have made any eligible purchases and we will refund your full membership fee. To do this, visit the Manage Your Prime Account section of Your Account and click the "Cancel membership" button. It can take up to two days for completing this process. For any trial or other promotional memberships you may cancel such membership at any time by visiting the "Manage Your Prime Account section" of Your Account and selecting the "Do not upgrade" button.
Ta

Last edited by rwilts; 07-07-2008 at 3:45 PM. Reason: fool
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rwilts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
asharon
Old 07-07-2008, 3:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would give them a call and speak to them, I wouldn't email as I think you get better results on the phone.
Nice to save.
# 3
ZootHornRollo
Old 07-07-2008, 4:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

if you used the service during the free trial those purchases may count towards the eligable purchases.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
# 4
yakumofuji
Old 07-07-2008, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I had the same issue two weeks ago, as long as you have not ordered anything using amazon prime since they took payment then you can get a full refund just cancel it as normal and you will get your money back
# 5
freddysmith
Old 07-07-2008, 4:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Reading your post my understanding would be that you can cancel at any time as long as no eligible purchase has been made and this will be for a full refund of your £49.00. Its in black and white in my eyes.....Good Luck

And also I think its quite fair of Amazon to offer this.
# 6
martinmarv
Old 07-07-2008, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Sorry, but exactly the same thing happened to my sister and Amazon would not refund the money.
# 7
freddysmith
Old 07-07-2008, 5:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinmarv View Post
Sorry, but exactly the same thing happened to my sister and Amazon would not refund the money.
Looks like Amazon would owe your sister 49 if she did not use the Prime service.

Here is the Amazon link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...82130&pop-up=1
# 8
ukmonkey
Old 07-07-2008, 5:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilts View Post
Last edited by rwilts : Today at 3:45 PM. Reason: fool
Classic!

ROFL.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukmonkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
point3
Old 07-07-2008, 8:49 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you can't cancel, then maybe you can share the cost with friends or other family members. You can invite up to 4 other people to share your membership. It's supposed to be for other household members, but actually it allows delivery to any address and it's easy to sign up guests as long as you know each other's birthdays.

I've ordered loads more than usual from Amazon during my month's trial!
# 10
rwilts
Old 07-07-2008, 9:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

UPDATE

Ok , did i say that i emailed them?

Anyway, once i read the terms found via a google search i jumped in and cancelled.

Had two emails back within 3 hours.

1. Accepting on line cancellation.

2. In reply to my email a very nice email apologizing for any confusion and stating that they had processed my refund and i will see it on my next card statement.

Fairs fair very impressed with response and attitude.
Ta
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rwilts For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
liaopeiyu
Old 15-08-2008, 12:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi, same thing happend to me!
when I was asked if I would like to try the 30 days FREE trial, I said yes and I can't remember I gave them my card details to sign up the free trial. However, when I check my bank statement today, I realised that amazon has taken £49 from the card that I used to purchase stuff from Amazon.

Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love amazon, great products, great service but I really dont like the idea that they keep your card details which I used to think it's rather handy! How could they take payment without asking?
# 12
rwilts
Old 15-08-2008, 9:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Update - And More...

Ok,

1. Had my Credit Card statement yesterday. £49.00 taken and the 3 days later £49.00 credit back..So Fairs fair sorted.

2. Had another email on tuesday of them saying that last year i had taken out Amazon credit card offer (£15.00 discount on order, you remember) but had not activated the card ( In fact had never signed the agreement and sent it back ) and they were going to take the discount back £15.00. I do remenmber this being in the terms at the time.

I have had another email last night saying that as its been so long they are now not going to claim back the discount . Result.
Ta
# 13
mariner-9
Old 18-08-2008, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I just did the same thing... feel like an idiot for not noticing, and I did make another order while I was a Prime Member....

I think Amazon have been pretty underhand in the way they've duped people into signing up for this... I made an order and selected free delivery without realising it was Prime Free Delivery... so when I made the second order, I had no idea that I was a Prime Member, let alone that I'd been charged 49 for the pleasure...

I've now requested a refund and expect to be charged for the delivery costs of the two items... but at the very least, they ought to make it much clearer. The fact that you can a) sign up without realising it and b) be charged for not canceling (when you didn't even notice signing up!) is pretty devious IMO...
The Following User Says Thank You to mariner-9 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
CrapWithMoney
Old 18-03-2009, 12:24 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I did this as well, I signed up and they charged me, BUT because I had not actually used it they gave me a refund straight away. I think it's only fair that they do. Even if it is PARTLY my fault for singing up, it's a cheeky way for them to make money and stay legit.
How many more 'legit' ways can site push our way to make money out of us?

Graham
# 15
custardy
Old 18-03-2009, 4:06 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrapWithMoney View Post
I did this as well, I signed up and they charged me, BUT because I had not actually used it they gave me a refund straight away. I think it's only fair that they do. Even if it is PARTLY my fault for singing up, it's a cheeky way for them to make money and stay legit.
How many more 'legit' ways can site push our way to make money out of us?

Graham
no its completly your fault and to be quite honest its pretty pathetic how many of these threads we get
you took up the offer of a 100% free trial
you agreed to the T&C's of this offer
you failed to even bother to select the option to not auto renew the prime offer

i like many many others used the prime offer and made sure i wasnt charged after my trial expired
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to custardy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
custardy
Old 18-03-2009, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner-9 View Post
I just did the same thing... feel like an idiot for not noticing, and I did make another order while I was a Prime Member....

I think Amazon have been pretty underhand in the way they've duped people into signing up for this... I made an order and selected free delivery without realising it was Prime Free Delivery... so when I made the second order, I had no idea that I was a Prime Member, let alone that I'd been charged 49 for the pleasure...

I've now requested a refund and expect to be charged for the delivery costs of the two items... but at the very least, they ought to make it much clearer. The fact that you can a) sign up without realising it and b) be charged for not canceling (when you didn't even notice signing up!) is pretty devious IMO...
all that amazon prime text/images at the top of every page after signing up to prime wasnt a clue?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to custardy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Rachel_bluesky
Old 14-04-2009, 1:07 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardy View Post
all that amazon prime text/images at the top of every page after signing up to prime wasnt a clue?
We're not as smart as you, obviously! Did you go oxbridge?? Jeez, you probably went to be a better college than I did. Damn. Rolls eyes :rolleyes:

I did the same...and it is misleading. I noticed just after the order was made.

It isn't clear as it should be because they want to take your money! Who doesn't?

It should be made clearer, in my opinion. For people who aren't very good with the internet (and please don't say they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with), people who rarely use Amazon etc...it wouldn't be obvious.

But thankfully, they do give refunds if you haven't use the service. But by then, it tends to be too late anyway!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel_bluesky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Rachel_bluesky
Old 14-04-2009, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardy View Post
no its completly your fault and to be quite honest its pretty pathetic how many of these threads we get
you took up the offer of a 100% free trial
you agreed to the T&C's of this offer
you failed to even bother to select the option to not auto renew the prime offer

i like many many others used the prime offer and made sure i wasnt charged after my trial expired
I am utterly shocked at your rudeness...."pathetic?"

Not because I disagree with you, but your unnecessary venom. Jeez! I'm glad I won't be coming across you along a dark alleyway.

And I am SURE that many, many others end up with prime offer not wanting it.

Who makes you the expert all of a sudden? Did you manage to poll all amazon users??

Seriously, calm down.

Last edited by Rachel_bluesky; 14-04-2009 at 1:11 PM.
# 19
custardy
Old 14-04-2009, 2:02 PM

flip boing
# 20
SpammyTheSpammer
Old 14-04-2009, 2:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Who is right? There's only one way to find out.....
FIGHT!
or "flame war"as we used to call it back in the 80's

Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 14-04-2009 at 2:32 PM. Reason: smelling (again!)
The Following User Says Thank You to SpammyTheSpammer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread