Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    VelvetGlove
    Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    • 4th Jul 08, 8:53 PM
    Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs 4th Jul 08 at 8:53 PM
    General message to all compers:

Questions are answered more quickly in the
    The Compers Chat Corner Board which is a sub board of the Competitions Time Forum.

This thread is best used for alerting compers to new tips/hints - also means I can throw them into the main Guide at the start of this thread if they aren't already in there. Thanks

Introduction

The following Guide has been put together by shamelessly stealing good ideas posted in this forum by MSE Compers. To all those who have contributed (unknowingly) to this Guide, by sharing their hints, tips & great ideas within various threads, I hope your Comping Kharma is increased & may the Comping Fairy sprinkle winning dust over you!

If you are after general information about how the forum software works & how to do things then there is an excellent guide here Beginner's Guide to the forums

If you are looking for tips on how best to search this forum please refer to How do I search to see if a comp has been posted? below

Before you go any further can I please direct you to READ the Basic Rules About the Competitions Forum. This will help you to understand & give you a better idea of what can & can’t be done in this Forum.

WARNING: Comping can become extremely addictive!

How to use this Guide
    You can either read through the whole Guide at your leisure or if you see a question in the list below that you would like the answer to, simply click on the section title for that question & you will be taken directly to that section of the Guide. (I was hoping to be able to take you to the question itself but unfortunately this forum has HTML off which means I can't use HTML anchors, sorry!)

This Guide focuses on different topics & will suggest ways to achieve a particular result. As with most things there are multiple ways of, For Example, adding a signature, etc. I have mainly focused on one particular way.

Initial Information

1 How do you win all this stuff?
    2 How many comps do you enter a day? / How long do you spend entering comps?
    3 How much can I expect to win?
    4 Do you only enter comps from this site? / What about comping mags that you pay for?
    5 How long did you have to wait for your first win?
    6 Do you keep a list of what you enter?
    7 Do you keep a list of what you win?
    8 I'm worried about identity theft from giving out my personal details to enter comps, what do you suggest?
    9 How do you stop loads of spam in your email inbox?
    10 How do you stop loads of spam coming via post to your door?
    11 If you opt in or out of their mailing / 3rd party mailings, does it affect your chances?

Getting Started (I)

1 I want to enter comps, what should I do first? / Where do I start?!
    2 Why can't I search for comps that are ending on a certain date?
    3 Does the email address I use affect my chances of winning a comp?
    4 How many times do you enter a comp?
    5 How do you enter so many? / Is there a way to save me having to type in all my info time after time?
    6 Should I put my home number?
    7 A comp site wants me to register before I can enter, what should I do?

Getting Started (II)

1 Does it matter what sex you are for entering comps?
    2 How do I keep track of which comps I've entered and what are the green ticks and red crosses for?
    3 When I closed that comp window, there was another window behind it advertising another comp! Shall I enter?
    4 How do I solve the puzzle or answer the question?
    5 I've found a comp I'd like to enter, what should I be aware of?
    6 What tips are there for when I enter an email comp?
    7 What tips are there for when I enter a postcard entry comp?
    8 Are there any comps that can be entered regularly?
    9 Can I enter the radio station / newspaper comps on more than one of the radio station / newspaper websites?
    10 What does it mean when someone posts on a thread 'Check your thanks'?

More Advanced

1 What do I do if I see a comp which has already expired / been posted on here? / How do I send a merge request to a Board Guide?
    2 There is a closed comp on the main board, should I do anything?
    3 There is a spam post on the main board, should I do anything?
    4 Sometimes there seems to be the same comp & question on lots of different sites, can I enter them all?
    5 Do you have any tips for entering Rafflecopter comps?
    6 Do you have any tips for the multiple entry comps (Like Real Deal or Golden Balls, etc)?
    7 Do you have any tips for the multiple answer comps (Like Radio Times, Take a Break, Pick Me Up Magazine, Chat Puzzles, etc)
    8 I don't understand the Puzzler thread, there are lots of comps in there but how I do enter them?
    9 Is there an easier way to enter the daily magazine comps that you have 5 or so questions to answer 'No Thanks' to?

Winning

1 How long after a comp closes are you notified?
    2 How are winners contacted? / What does the comping jargon actually mean?
    3 Do I have to check if I've won or do I get contacted?
    4 If I win & they ask for money / have to attend a presentation, have I won?
    5 How will I know if it is a genuine prize winning letter / call / email?
    6 OMG! I've won, where can I share my great news?
    7 What happens if my prize doesn't turn up?
    8 Is there anywhere to swap / sell unwanted prizes on here?
    9 How can I put what I've won into the bottom of my posts?
    10 If I win with a company does that stop me winning from them again?

Posting Comps

1 How can I find comps to post on here, I've entered loads & want to give some back?
    2 How do I search to see if a comp has been posted?
    3 What is an affiliate link?
    4 Do any sites not want their comps/answers posted?
    5 Why am I unable to post a link/URL for a comp?
    6 How do I post a comp on here?
    7 How can I amend my thread title if I need to?
    8 How can I delete my post if I need to?
    9 How do I do a 'clicky' instead of putting the full URL?
    10 How can I put a picture in my post?
    11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?

Is there a gentler way to flag up that someone has made a mistake?

I have a question which hasn't been covered here, what should I do?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by VelvetGlove; 06-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
Page 22
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,472Posts Today

9,100Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Eeek did we forget to pay the meter? No power in MSE Towers - no phones - (appartently power down in whole central london)

• Warning! Did you start Uni in or after 2012? If so govt mooting making your loans more costly. See http://t.co/oF99EWBpIZ RT to spread word

• Solar panels are they worth it? Full analysis http://t.co/opA6XcsCgC

• Follow Martin