Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Competitions Time > Compers Chat Corner > Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
Views: 410,697
# 21
Cheeky Chicken
Old 18-07-2008, 2:17 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
The thanks button doesn't show when you are logged out? only the quote button shows
Sorry! I never log out!
Al Mac Appreciation Society (AMAS) member # 6
This Will Be Mine 2009 Member #5 I just want to win a new iPod please
Member of the missing kipper club
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheeky Chicken For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
kipper
Old 18-07-2008, 2:30 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Ummmm...

Saddo!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kipper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
dmcd06
Old 27-07-2008, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Do you know of any useful sites?

Do you know of any other useful sites to help me to answer questions? I know you mentioned oneacross and the sudoku helper..........but I need all the help I can get.

Any other sites you can think of please??
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmcd06 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Stemma
Old 28-07-2008, 10:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks I've only just started comping and you have given me a lot of good advice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stemma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
totebag
Old 28-07-2008, 11:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

great post really very useful will keep popping in and out to find help.
thanks for all your hard work!!

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality. - John Lennon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to totebag For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
VelvetGlove
Old 30-07-2008, 1:03 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd06 View Post
Do you know of any other useful sites to help me to answer questions? I know you mentioned oneacross and the sudoku helper..........but I need all the help I can get.

Any other sites you can think of please??
To be honest, if it is a general knowledge/film/tv show etc question then I will just use Google to find a site with the answer. Although I am a bit OCD & make sure that a few different sites have the same answer

I've used Google Image too, to try to help with some of the newspaper comps which have pictures that need to be identified, but often you need half an idea of what you are looking for with those to be able to find what you need :rolleyes:

There are only a couple of reasons that I can think of for the comps posted on here not to have the answers already posted:
  • It is a site that has specifically asked us not to post the answers - they would then usually be found by searching around on the website which is hosting the comp.
  • The OP [original poster] has asked for help with the answer/s - cue the MSE Compers scampering off trying to look up & find answers & posting suggestions on the thread, so everyone will have the right answers when they enter.
If it is a particular type of puzzle that you need help solving then yell out, otherwise I'm hoping this will have shed some light on the matter for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemma View Post
Thanks I've only just started comping and you have given me a lot of good advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by totebag View Post
great post really very useful will keep popping in and out to find help.
thanks for all your hard work!!
You're both welcome If you come across anything that isn't in the Guide which would help then please just post on this thread & I can see about including it
Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VelvetGlove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
VelvetGlove
Old 10-08-2008, 4:04 PM

Smile

Ok folks, I've added index numbers to each item in each section. The code won't work on here to hyper link to each question & answer from the top post unfortunately, but hopefully it will be a bit easier to locate things within each section now with the numbers.

If you are pointing someone towards the Comping Guide then you may find the numbers help to pin it down a bit more as to where the person should be looking in particular

Don't forget, if you have any hints/tips which aren't already in the Guide then please do post them on this thread! Any questions you have too, can be posted in this thread & either myself or another Comper who is around at the time will come back to you with an answer & I can think about including it in the Guide for future reference
Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VelvetGlove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
tantrums
Old 13-08-2008, 2:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks - I wish I had read this earlier. I entered about 20 comps earlier today and ticked all the boxes agreeing to newsletters and further contact because I thought they would not let me win otherwise. AGhhhhhhhhhhh
I will see if I win if I dont click those boxes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tantrums For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
VelvetGlove
Old 13-08-2008, 9:29 PM

Oh you poor thing! There really is no point in receiving calls or junk mail for things you aren't interested in Many Compers don't tick the boxes & it doesn't seem to affected our chances, although with the majority of comps it is simply luck who will win.

Good luck with your comps, I hope you have your first win soon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VelvetGlove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
sickboyedd
Old 18-08-2008, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I just wanted to further promote the search tip given by Tasuke earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuke View Post
I have a searching-related tip, if it's of any use. It's a way of checking for competitions specifically fitting one's interests, whether a given competition has already been posted, looking for things ending on a specific date, and so on, for those who prefer the interface of Google.

What you need to do is enter your terms in quotation marks, "like so" (you can add several if you wish - you must add "competition" or "competitions" as one of them, though, to restrict the search to, well, competitions ), and add site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com after your search terms. Here's an example of how this should look;

This is really useful when it comes to entering competitions that expire on a certain day. As there's usually a shed load of competitions ending at the end of months, I find it's a useful way of getting a head start!

Good work Tasuke in pointing this out!

Last edited by sickboyedd; 18-08-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: getting rid of rambling!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sickboyedd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
VelvetGlove
Old 18-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Cheers sickboyedd I have already included Tasuke's tip in the Guide, Posting Comps section, item 2 - but if you have any tips on adding to it to achieve comps that end on a certain date I'll gladly add that too?
The Following User Says Thank You to VelvetGlove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
chickaroonee
Old 18-08-2008, 12:57 PM

A quick tip about googling for your name to see if you have won comps - google alert is a great feature, you can set it to search for a set phrase every day and it will email you when it finds a new site. I have mine set to search for my name everyday and it works really well, it does help that I have an unusual name I suppose!

This is the link:
http://www.google.com/alerts

too many comps..not enough time!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chickaroonee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
VelvetGlove
Old 18-08-2008, 9:37 PM

Thanks chickaroonee I'll have a bit of a play with that & add it into the Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to VelvetGlove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
aytch
Old 21-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Please can I ask, is there a guide on how to do a comps ending list. I had a go in July and was in such a panic as I spent hours doing it and then could not get the links into thread.
I would like to offer again, but need an idiots guide to getting it right.

Any chance?
At long last proud to say DEBT FREE as of 11/08/11
Geocaching has changed my world

The Following User Says Thank You to aytch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
VelvetGlove
Old 21-08-2008, 10:22 PM

Hi aytch, I'm sorry, I don't use the Comps Ending lists & don't know the best way to put them together :confused: The Guide already has some info about searching for a specific date (item 2), or how to do neat/clicky links (item 7), but the way that other Comps Ending posters put the lists together I'm afraid I don't know the intimate details!

I'll message some of the others that have done Comps Ending lists & ask how they go about putting the lists together, then I'll spend some time putting together an entry for the Guide itself. BUT there is no guarantee that the Comps Ending lists will be staying after the rules have been broken so often & even after this was pointed out, the rules are still being broken.... So I won't be taking any action on this until that decision has been made by the BGs once they are all back from hols & have had time to discuss the situation.

In the meantime, if you need more info right now, before the decision has been made, then if you ask in the Comp Discussions thread or even pm someone whose list you used & liked the look of to see if they can help you directly? I'm sorry, but I don't want to waste other Compers time getting them to detail to me how they do it, so I can then work up an entry for the Guide if the lists are going to stop, I do hope you understand.

For other Compers reading this, the place to discuss the fate of Comps Ending threads is in the Comps Discussion thread, not here please
It will be a decision by the BGs when they are all back from hols & it would be great to keep the discussion about it in the proper place - thanks
# 36
aytch
Old 21-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

sorry, been on the comps discussion thread - where are the rules for the comps ending list, I am a bit lost with the debate and would like to be a little more informed?
Thanks
At long last proud to say DEBT FREE as of 11/08/11
Geocaching has changed my world

The Following User Says Thank You to aytch For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
lilias
Old 22-08-2008, 8:24 AM

Could you add Craftmatic Beds to the list of spammy sites, please?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilias For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
VelvetGlove
Old 23-08-2008, 10:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aytch View Post
sorry, been on the comps discussion thread - where are the rules for the comps ending list, I am a bit lost with the debate and would like to be a little more informed?
Thanks
Yes, I see you asked about it. I did a search in the Discussions thread to find what you need. Have a look at post number 1532 which links to the rules from diva. Please use the Discussion Thread to discuss them further
# 39
Flickering Ember
Old 23-08-2008, 10:40 PM

I have read this (very helpful) guide on numerous occasions, including way back when I first joined. It is very comprehensive, and although you clearly explain some competitions are not showing up in search for a few hours, when I search for threads, a lot of the time, they do not show up, so then I post my competition and I then get some really uncalled for posts from other users. I don't want to get into a whole big debate, I only want to ask what I am supposed to do as I try my best and it still does not seem to be enough and the fun is beginning to be taken away from the whole comping experience.
Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flickering Ember For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
VelvetGlove
Old 23-08-2008, 11:01 PM

I'm glad you're finding this Guide helpful

And yes, I read your post over in the Arms about that & all the replies too - you are right about the no big debate on here, the thread for that discussion would be the Discussions Thread We'll just concentrate on trying to sort out the search issue

The only thing I can suggest is that you post how you are currently searching & I (& any other members around) can try to see if there is anything that will help you get the search results coming back to avoid dupes? :confused: You can also pm me if you'd prefer and we can sort this out together?