Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 4th Jul 08, 8:53 PM
    • 11,878Posts
    • 24,083Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs
    • 4th Jul 08, 8:53 PM
    Comping Guide - Getting Started & Other FAQs 4th Jul 08 at 8:53 PM
    General message to all compers:

Questions are answered more quickly in the
    The Compers Chat Corner Board which is a sub board of the Competitions Time Forum.

This thread is best used for alerting compers to new tips/hints - also means I can throw them into the main Guide at the start of this thread if they aren't already in there. Thanks

Introduction

The following Guide has been put together by shamelessly stealing good ideas posted in this forum by MSE Compers. To all those who have contributed (unknowingly) to this Guide, by sharing their hints, tips & great ideas within various threads, I hope your Comping Kharma is increased & may the Comping Fairy sprinkle winning dust over you!

If you are after general information about how the forum software works & how to do things then there is an excellent guide here Beginner's Guide to the forums

If you are looking for tips on how best to search this forum please refer to How do I search to see if a comp has been posted? below

Before you go any further can I please direct you to READ the Basic Rules About the Competitions Forum. This will help you to understand & give you a better idea of what can & can’t be done in this Forum.

WARNING: Comping can become extremely addictive!

How to use this Guide
    You can either read through the whole Guide at your leisure or if you see a question in the list below that you would like the answer to, simply click on the section title for that question & you will be taken directly to that section of the Guide. (I was hoping to be able to take you to the question itself but unfortunately this forum has HTML off which means I can't use HTML anchors, sorry!)

This Guide focuses on different topics & will suggest ways to achieve a particular result. As with most things there are multiple ways of, For Example, adding a signature, etc. I have mainly focused on one particular way.

Initial Information

1 How do you win all this stuff?
    2 How many comps do you enter a day? / How long do you spend entering comps?
    3 How much can I expect to win?
    4 Do you only enter comps from this site? / What about comping mags that you pay for?
    5 How long did you have to wait for your first win?
    6 Do you keep a list of what you enter?
    7 Do you keep a list of what you win?
    8 I'm worried about identity theft from giving out my personal details to enter comps, what do you suggest?
    9 How do you stop loads of spam in your email inbox?
    10 How do you stop loads of spam coming via post to your door?
    11 If you opt in or out of their mailing / 3rd party mailings, does it affect your chances?

Getting Started (I)

1 I want to enter comps, what should I do first? / Where do I start?!
    2 Why can't I search for comps that are ending on a certain date?
    3 Does the email address I use affect my chances of winning a comp?
    4 How many times do you enter a comp?
    5 How do you enter so many? / Is there a way to save me having to type in all my info time after time?
    6 Should I put my home number?
    7 A comp site wants me to register before I can enter, what should I do?

Getting Started (II)

1 Does it matter what sex you are for entering comps?
    2 How do I keep track of which comps I've entered and what are the green ticks and red crosses for?
    3 When I closed that comp window, there was another window behind it advertising another comp! Shall I enter?
    4 How do I solve the puzzle or answer the question?
    5 I've found a comp I'd like to enter, what should I be aware of?
    6 What tips are there for when I enter an email comp?
    7 What tips are there for when I enter a postcard entry comp?
    8 Are there any comps that can be entered regularly?
    9 Can I enter the radio station / newspaper comps on more than one of the radio station / newspaper websites?
    10 What does it mean when someone posts on a thread 'Check your thanks'?

More Advanced

1 What do I do if I see a comp which has already expired / been posted on here? / How do I send a merge request to a Board Guide?
    2 There is a closed comp on the main board, should I do anything?
    3 There is a spam post on the main board, should I do anything?
    4 Sometimes there seems to be the same comp & question on lots of different sites, can I enter them all?
    5 Do you have any tips for entering Rafflecopter comps?
    6 Do you have any tips for the multiple entry comps (Like Real Deal or Golden Balls, etc)?
    7 Do you have any tips for the multiple answer comps (Like Radio Times, Take a Break, Pick Me Up Magazine, Chat Puzzles, etc)
    8 I don't understand the Puzzler thread, there are lots of comps in there but how I do enter them?
    9 Is there an easier way to enter the daily magazine comps that you have 5 or so questions to answer 'No Thanks' to?

Winning

1 How long after a comp closes are you notified?
    2 How are winners contacted? / What does the comping jargon actually mean?
    3 Do I have to check if I've won or do I get contacted?
    4 If I win & they ask for money / have to attend a presentation, have I won?
    5 How will I know if it is a genuine prize winning letter / call / email?
    6 OMG! I've won, where can I share my great news?
    7 What happens if my prize doesn't turn up?
    8 Is there anywhere to swap / sell unwanted prizes on here?
    9 How can I put what I've won into the bottom of my posts?
    10 If I win with a company does that stop me winning from them again?

Posting Comps

1 How can I find comps to post on here, I've entered loads & want to give some back?
    2 How do I search to see if a comp has been posted?
    3 What is an affiliate link?
    4 Do any sites not want their comps/answers posted?
    5 Why am I unable to post a link/URL for a comp?
    6 How do I post a comp on here?
    7 How can I amend my thread title if I need to?
    8 How can I delete my post if I need to?
    9 How do I do a 'clicky' instead of putting the full URL?
    10 How can I put a picture in my post?
    11 Are there any sites, from experience, which are likely to generate lots of spam?

Is there a gentler way to flag up that someone has made a mistake?

I have a question which hasn't been covered here, what should I do?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by VelvetGlove; 06-10-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
Page 2
    • Cheeky Chicken
    • By Cheeky Chicken 18th Jul 08, 2:17 PM
    • 5,062 Posts
    • 152,261 Thanks
    Cheeky Chicken
    The thanks button doesn't show when you are logged out? only the quote button shows
    Originally posted by kipper
    Sorry! I never log out!
    Al Mac Appreciation Society (AMAS) member # 6½
    This Will Be Mine 2009 Member #5 I just want to win a new iPod please
    Member of the missing kipper club
  • kipper
    Ummmm...

Saddo!

• dmcd06
    • By dmcd06 27th Jul 08, 4:51 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dmcd06
    Do you know of any useful sites?
    Do you know of any other useful sites to help me to answer questions? I know you mentioned oneacross and the sudoku helper..........but I need all the help I can get.

Any other sites you can think of please??
    • Stemma
    • By Stemma 28th Jul 08, 10:10 AM
    • 707 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Stemma
    Thanks I've only just started comping and you have given me a lot of good advice
  • totebag
    great post really very useful will keep popping in and out to find help.
    thanks for all your hard work!!

“A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” - John Lennon

• VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 30th Jul 08, 1:03 AM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Do you know of any other useful sites to help me to answer questions? I know you mentioned oneacross and the sudoku helper..........but I need all the help I can get.

Any other sites you can think of please??
    Originally posted by dmcd06
    To be honest, if it is a general knowledge/film/tv show etc question then I will just use Google to find a site with the answer. Although I am a bit OCD & make sure that a few different sites have the same answer

I've used Google Image too, to try to help with some of the newspaper comps which have pictures that need to be identified, but often you need half an idea of what you are looking for with those to be able to find what you need :rolleyes:

There are only a couple of reasons that I can think of for the comps posted on here not to have the answers already posted:
    • It is a site that has specifically asked us not to post the answers - they would then usually be found by searching around on the website which is hosting the comp.
    • The OP [original poster] has asked for help with the answer/s - cue the MSE Compers scampering off trying to look up & find answers & posting suggestions on the thread, so everyone will have the right answers when they enter.
    If it is a particular type of puzzle that you need help solving then yell out, otherwise I'm hoping this will have shed some light on the matter for you?

Thanks I've only just started comping and you have given me a lot of good advice
    Originally posted by Stemma
    great post really very useful will keep popping in and out to find help.
    thanks for all your hard work!!
    Originally posted by totebag
    You're both welcome If you come across anything that isn't in the Guide which would help then please just post on this thread & I can see about including it
    Sad because you don't know what to do? Comping question? Take a look in the Comping Guide to find out
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 10th Aug 08, 4:04 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Ok folks, I've added index numbers to each item in each section. The code won't work on here to hyper link to each question & answer from the top post unfortunately, but hopefully it will be a bit easier to locate things within each section now with the numbers.

If you are pointing someone towards the Comping Guide then you may find the numbers help to pin it down a bit more as to where the person should be looking in particular

Don't forget, if you have any hints/tips which aren't already in the Guide then please do post them on this thread! Any questions you have too, can be posted in this thread & either myself or another Comper who is around at the time will come back to you with an answer & I can think about including it in the Guide for future reference
  • tantrums
    Thanks - I wish I had read this earlier. I entered about 20 comps earlier today and ticked all the boxes agreeing to newsletters and further contact because I thought they would not let me win otherwise. AGhhhhhhhhhhh
    I will see if I win if I dont click those boxes.
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 13th Aug 08, 9:29 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Oh you poor thing! There really is no point in receiving calls or junk mail for things you aren't interested in Many Compers don't tick the boxes & it doesn't seem to affected our chances, although with the majority of comps it is simply luck who will win.

Good luck with your comps, I hope you have your first win soon
  • sickboyedd
    I just wanted to further promote the search tip given by Tasuke earlier:

I have a searching-related tip, if it's of any use. It's a way of checking for competitions specifically fitting one's interests, whether a given competition has already been posted, looking for things ending on a specific date, and so on, for those who prefer the interface of Google.

What you need to do is enter your terms in quotation marks, "like so" (you can add several if you wish - you must add "competition" or "competitions" as one of them, though, to restrict the search to, well, competitions ), and add site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com after your search terms. Here's an example of how this should look;

Originally posted by Tasuke

This is really useful when it comes to entering competitions that expire on a certain day. As there's usually a shed load of competitions ending at the end of months, I find it's a useful way of getting a head start!

Good work Tasuke in pointing this out!
    Last edited by sickboyedd; 18-08-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: getting rid of rambling!

• VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 18th Aug 08, 11:30 AM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Cheers sickboyedd I have already included Tasuke's tip in the Guide, Posting Comps section, item 2 - but if you have any tips on adding to it to achieve comps that end on a certain date I'll gladly add that too?
    • chickaroonee
    • By chickaroonee 18th Aug 08, 12:57 PM
    • 8,242 Posts
    • 600,383 Thanks
    chickaroonee
    A quick tip about googling for your name to see if you have won comps - google alert is a great feature, you can set it to search for a set phrase every day and it will email you when it finds a new site. I have mine set to search for my name everyday and it works really well, it does help that I have an unusual name I suppose!

This is the link:
    http://www.google.com/alerts

too many comps..not enough time!
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 18th Aug 08, 9:37 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Thanks chickaroonee I'll have a bit of a play with that & add it into the Guide
    • aytch
    • By aytch 21st Aug 08, 10:08 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 44,059 Thanks
    aytch
    Please can I ask, is there a guide on how to do a comps ending list. I had a go in July and was in such a panic as I spent hours doing it and then could not get the links into thread.
    I would like to offer again, but need an idiots guide to getting it right.

Any chance?
    At long last proud to say DEBT FREE as of 11/08/11
    Geocaching has changed my world

• VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 21st Aug 08, 10:22 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    Hi aytch, I'm sorry, I don't use the Comps Ending lists & don't know the best way to put them together :confused: The Guide already has some info about searching for a specific date (item 2), or how to do neat/clicky links (item 7), but the way that other Comps Ending posters put the lists together I'm afraid I don't know the intimate details!

I'll message some of the others that have done Comps Ending lists & ask how they go about putting the lists together, then I'll spend some time putting together an entry for the Guide itself. BUT there is no guarantee that the Comps Ending lists will be staying after the rules have been broken so often & even after this was pointed out, the rules are still being broken.... So I won't be taking any action on this until that decision has been made by the BGs once they are all back from hols & have had time to discuss the situation.

In the meantime, if you need more info right now, before the decision has been made, then if you ask in the Comp Discussions thread or even pm someone whose list you used & liked the look of to see if they can help you directly? I'm sorry, but I don't want to waste other Compers time getting them to detail to me how they do it, so I can then work up an entry for the Guide if the lists are going to stop, I do hope you understand.

For other Compers reading this, the place to discuss the fate of Comps Ending threads is in the Comps Discussion thread, not here please
    It will be a decision by the BGs when they are all back from hols & it would be great to keep the discussion about it in the proper place - thanks
    • aytch
    • By aytch 21st Aug 08, 10:41 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 44,059 Thanks
    aytch
    sorry, been on the comps discussion thread - where are the rules for the comps ending list, I am a bit lost with the debate and would like to be a little more informed?
    Thanks
    At long last proud to say DEBT FREE as of 11/08/11
    Geocaching has changed my world

• lilias
    • By lilias 22nd Aug 08, 8:24 AM
    • 6,405 Posts
    • 377,032 Thanks
    lilias
    Could you add Craftmatic Beds to the list of spammy sites, please?
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 23rd Aug 08, 10:31 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    sorry, been on the comps discussion thread - where are the rules for the comps ending list, I am a bit lost with the debate and would like to be a little more informed?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by aytch
    Yes, I see you asked about it. I did a search in the Discussions thread to find what you need. Have a look at post number 1532 which links to the rules from diva. Please use the Discussion Thread to discuss them further
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 23rd Aug 08, 10:40 PM
    • 11,392 Posts
    • 125,814 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    I have read this (very helpful) guide on numerous occasions, including way back when I first joined. It is very comprehensive, and although you clearly explain some competitions are not showing up in search for a few hours, when I search for threads, a lot of the time, they do not show up, so then I post my competition and I then get some really uncalled for posts from other users. I don't want to get into a whole big debate, I only want to ask what I am supposed to do as I try my best and it still does not seem to be enough and the fun is beginning to be taken away from the whole comping experience.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • VelvetGlove
    • By VelvetGlove 23rd Aug 08, 11:01 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 24,083 Thanks
    VelvetGlove
    I'm glad you're finding this Guide helpful

And yes, I read your post over in the Arms about that & all the replies too - you are right about the no big debate on here, the thread for that discussion would be the Discussions Thread We'll just concentrate on trying to sort out the search issue

The only thing I can suggest is that you post how you are currently searching & I (& any other members around) can try to see if there is anything that will help you get the search results coming back to avoid dupes? :confused: You can also pm me if you'd prefer and we can sort this out together?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

333Posts Today

1,053Users online

Martin's Twitter