Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > The Speaking Clock.BT price increase. (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
The Speaking Clock.BT price increase.
Closed Thread
Views: 22,498
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
pricefighter
Old 11-10-2005, 5:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,781
Default The Speaking Clock.BT price increase.

BT are putting up the price of calls to the speaking clock (123) on the 1//12/05,from 20p to 30p.

See www.bt.com/update/

You can ring it for the price of a geographical call on

0131 477 7676. or 01923 287 748.
PF.

Last edited by pricefighter; 11-10-2005 at 5:45 PM.
pricefighter is offline
Report Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pricefighter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Davidboy
Old 11-10-2005, 7:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Gloucestershire
Posts: 902
Default

Sorry I do not understand why you want to pay for the time, there are so many ways to get the correct time. Your PC, BBC, just turn the tv on, Sky displays the correct time, just go to the menu. Most videos display the time sent from the BBC. Am I missing something here! Crickey even a modern day watch is very accurate once set correctly from those places above?????

I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely do not know why people phone and pay to get the time?

D
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always recieve lots
Davidboy is offline
Report Post
# 3
bbb_uk
Old 11-10-2005, 7:38 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidboy
..I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely do not know why people phone and pay to get the time?
I think the OP was just informing anyone that still may use 123 although maybe not many but some may still do.

Last time I rung it (years ago now) it was only 10p so I didn't realise it was 20p but now 30p.
bbb_uk is offline
Report Post
# 4
paul_h
Old 11-10-2005, 7:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Notts/Lincs
Posts: 1,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidboy
Sorry I do not understand why you want to pay for the time, there are so many ways to get the correct time. Your PC, BBC, just turn the tv on, Sky displays the correct time, just go to the menu. Most videos display the time sent from the BBC. Am I missing something here! Crickey even a modern day watch is very accurate once set correctly from those places above?????

I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely do not know why people phone and pay to get the time?
What about blind people? :confused:

The people most likely to use this will be elderly or blind. It's immoral that BT should charge for this service at all, let alone increase the cost by 50%
paul_h is offline
Report Post
# 5
Davidboy
Old 11-10-2005, 8:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: South Gloucestershire
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_h
What about blind people? :confused:

The people most likely to use this will be elderly or blind. It's immoral that BT should charge for this service at all, let alone increase the cost by 50%

Yeah ok, point taken. Yes I do agree it is too expensive, but isnt that the sign of the times??!! Nothing surprises me anymore.
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always recieve lots
Davidboy is offline
Report Post
# 6
pricefighter
Old 11-10-2005, 8:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,781
Default

The reason i posted this info was i guessed some folks must still use it,or BT and other providers would not offer it.Therefore i thought i would draw the large increase in the cost of the call,and a cheaper way to call it to other members and guests.After all this site is about moneysaving,and helping folks is it not.Or have i missed something somewhere. :confused:
PF.
pricefighter is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to pricefighter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
santana-mx3
Old 11-10-2005, 11:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricefighter
BT are putting up the price of calls to the speaking clock (123) on the 1//12/05,from 20p to 30p.

See www.bt.com/update/

You can ring it for the price of a geographical call on

0131 477 7676. or 01923 287 748.
I haven't used it for years and didn't realise it was so expensive. I usually use the internet these days with Atomic Clock Sync. I'll give my parents the geographic alternative numbers you provided because I think they might still use the speaking clock occasionally for setting their clocks at home.
santana-mx3 is offline
Report Post
# 8
paul_h
Old 12-10-2005, 9:00 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Notts/Lincs
Posts: 1,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricefighter
The reason i posted this info was i guessed some folks must still use it,or BT and other providers would not offer it.Therefore i thought i would draw the large increase in the cost of the call,and a cheaper way to call it to other members and guests.After all this site is about moneysaving,and helping folks is it not.Or have i missed something somewhere. :confused:
I didn't realise it was so expensive to call and I'm sure there will be plenty of folk who have to use it and are unaware of the cost. The geographic alternative could save these people s.

Some of these utility companies must make a good profit from people who are unaware of cheaper alternatives, or are unable to use the internet, or are unable to organise switching suppliers for themselves, etc. - generally the elderly, and poorer end of society.

If anyone knows someone who might use the speaking clock, do them a favour and give them the geographic number in pricefighter's post.
paul_h is offline
Report Post
# 9
MrMan
Old 13-10-2005, 10:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricefighter
BT are putting up the price of calls to the speaking clock (123) on the 1//12/05,from 20p to 30p.

See www.bt.com/update/

You can ring it for the price of a geographical call on

0131 477 7676. or 01923 287 748.
Just had a three way call with those two, and they are exactly 1 minute different!
MrMan is offline
Report Post
# 10
BexTech
Old 14-10-2005, 6:16 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,745
Default

020 7043 1320 (or 1431320 free if you're on Sipgate VoIP)
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
BexTech is offline
Report Post
# 11
AP
Old 14-10-2005, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 406
Default BT 3p per minute after first hour at evenings and weekends!

Just looking at BT pricing news about the speaking clock price increase, I think the more alarming increase is rather the bottom paragraph, which says:

"Further price changes
From the 1st October 2005, the calculation for determining the call charges for selected call types will be changed from rounding up to one tenth of a penny, to rounding up to half a penny.

Currently, Evening and Weekend UK2 calls for BT Together Options 1, 2 and 3 are charged at the rate of 1p for every minute beyond the first hour, as are Evening and Weekend local calls for BT Together Local customers. However, from 1st October 2005, the price per minute beyond the first hour will increase to 3p per minute for these calls."

This means that call charges after the first hour is now at the daytime rate and the evening and weekend rate has effectively been abolished!
AP is offline
Report Post
# 12
BexTech
Old 14-10-2005, 2:09 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
However, from 1st October 2005, the price per minute beyond the first hour will increase to 3p per minute for these calls."

This means that call charges after the first hour is now at the daytime rate and the evening and weekend rate has effectively been abolished!
This is true, something I noticed the other day when reading the newsgroups.
It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
(OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
BexTech is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 17 December 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile