Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Rachelle
    Save Zillions On Cleaning Products
    • 27th Sep 03, 4:52 AM
    Save Zillions On Cleaning Products 27th Sep 03 at 4:52 AM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to Rachelle for starting this legendary thread, which includes everything from cleaning your loo with cola to washing clothes with white vinegar.
    Scroll down for tons more tips.

If you haven’t already,
    join the forum. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Back to the original post...

Forget about buying all those expensive cleaners they keep advertising on the telly ---- there are LOTS of ways to achieve the same results for relatively little outlay of cash.

For instance, I have been using white vinegar for all sorts of things, from room deodoriser to laundry conditioner. And believe me, the stuff really works! (The vinegar smell evaporates after 5-10 minutes)

To give you some examples:

Laundry Products

White Vinegar. Eliminate soap residue by adding 1 cup of white vinegar to the washer's final rinse. Vinegar is
    too mild to harm fabrics but strong enough to dissolve
    alkalies in soaps and detergents. Vinegar also breaks down uric acid, so adding 1 cup vinegar to the rinse water is especially good for babies' clothes.

To get wool and cotton blankets soft and fluffy as new, add 2 cups white vinegar to a full tub of rinsewater. DO NOT USE VINEGAR IF YOU ADD CHLORINE BLEACH TO YOUR RINSEWATER. IT WILL PRODUCE HARMFUL VAPORS.

Baking Soda. 1/4 to 1/2 cup baking soda per wash load
    makes clothes feel soft and smell fresh.

Baking Soda. You can cut the amount of chlorine bleach
    used in your wash by half when you add 1/2 cup baking soda to top loading machines or 1/4 cup to front loaders.

Vinegar. To remove smoky odor from clothes, fill your
    bathtub with hot water. Add 1 cup white vinegar. Hang
    garments above the steaming bath water.

Cornstarch. For homemade laundry starch, dissolve 1
    tablespoon cornstarch in 1 pint cold water. Place in a
    spray bottle. Shake before using. Clearly label the
    contents of the spray bottle.

Lime And Mineral Deposit Remover

Vinegar and Paper Towels. Hard lime deposits around
    faucets can be softened for easy removal by covering the deposits with vinegar-soaked paper towels. Leave the paper towels on for about one hour before cleaning. Leaves chrome clean and shiny.

For Plastic and Metal Showerheads: Vinegar. To remove
    deposits which may be clogging your metal shower head, combine 1/2 cup white vinegar and one quart water. Then completely submerge the showerhead and boil 15 minutes. If you have a plastic showerhead, combine 1 pint white vinegar and 1 pint hot water. Then completely submerge the showerhead and soak for about one hour.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I am quite happy with the results and it has certainly saved this household ££££!

(Bet this is where the "How Clean is Your House" gang get their tips.)

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Megan F; 08-03-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Page 30
    • kolobok
    • By kolobok 5th Aug 17, 9:19 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    kolobok
    OMG! Getting addicted to Pinterest!!!
    • Juliem21
    • By Juliem21 7th Dec 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Juliem21
    Self Service Dry Cleaners
    I live in Nottingham and about ten years ago there used to be a self service laundrette with a dry cleaning machine just opposite Wollaton Hall on Derby Road but itís now closed down. Does anyone know of a laundrette with dry cleaning machine anywhere in the East or West Midlands?

Thanks
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 7th Dec 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Just waiting for a newbie posting an answer!
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,446Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter