Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

Page 155
    • The Hornet
    • By The Hornet 14th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    The Hornet
    Just received an email from my supplier (Countrywide) regarding the latest situation.

From 1st March the LPG business is no longer part of Countrywide Farmers plc. We are now an independent, standalone company called Countrywide LPG Ltd.

This is good news for you as it means that we can continue to meet your LPG needs and provide great levels of customer service.

You might have heard that Countrywide Farmers plc has entered administration - don't worry as we have left the Countrywide Farmers group and now operate on our own, part of the DCC Group, so our supplies to you will not be affected.

We are pleased to be able to confirm that we are doing business as usual, supplying our customers and paying our suppliers on time.

Countrywide LPG Ltd values its customers and looks forward to continuing to supply you with LPG for many years to come.

Yours sincerely,

George Webb
    Managing Director
    Countrywide LPG Ltd
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 16,828 Posts
    • 15,112 Thanks
    We are now an independent, standalone company
    now operate on our own, part of the DCC Group
    by Countrywide
    <scratches head>
    Contraction, or what?
    • LittleVermin
    • By LittleVermin 16th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    OMBUDSMAN? Ombudsman for LPG? YES, there is one!
    Many complaints on this forum over the years about LPG suppliers and that Ofgem covers electricity and gas but NOT LPG.

But earlier today UKLPG's Chief Executive Rob Shuttleworth said on Radio 4* that ALL UKLPG members are signed up to an ombudsman provided by Utilities ADR.

First you must complain to your supplier - maybe about deliveries (non-deliveries!) or prices or problems with your tank that they are happy to fill but you cannot switch as it's non-compliant or ... or... or .... and give them up to 8 weeks to reply. Then you can complain to the ombudsman - please let forum users know how you get on. And remember that the CMA (Competition & Markets Authority) keeps a watch on LPG (though it has been likened to a chocolate teapot - is the LPG ombudsman more useful?). ADR = Alternative Disputes Resolution.

Ombudsman website: Utilities ADR

Not all suppliers are members of UKLPG (e.g. not farming co-ops) but here's a list of UKLPG members.

Good luck! the way, the UKLPG industry has kept rather quiet about the ombudsman, haven't they?

* here, 17.56 minutes in
    Last edited by LittleVermin; 17-03-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: added link to 'You and yours'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,611Posts Today

8,976Users online

Martin's Twitter