Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 150
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 5th Dec 17, 4:12 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Mister G
    Continuing good news with my supplier, HBS.

Just arranged a fill of 1000litres and still 30ppl + VAT!
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Dec 17, 11:00 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    ceh209
    Hi there, I'm looking at moving house and we've viewed a house with LPG and an underground tank, and I've no experience of this at all.

Do underground tanks vary a lot in size? We've been told it's currently owned by Calor and is ~£660 to fill, which lasts about a year, but I don't know what ppl that is. Plus £24 a month for tank rental - which seems high compared to what else I've found online, but I don't know if that info is out of date.

We're looking at mainly rural houses so were expecting oil.. excuse my ignorance I never knew LPG was used for heating houses!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Dec 17, 11:22 AM
    • 15,776 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There's a lid to the tank, giving access to the valves etc. You should be able to see the tank data plate through that, which'll tell you what size it is. What price the ex-owners are paying for gas and/or tank rental is irrelevant to you, because you'll sign up to your own contract.

LPG is only a little different to natural (mains) gas - there's a different jet needed for the cooker/boiler to use it.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    ceh209
    There's a lid to the tank, giving access to the valves etc. You should be able to see the tank data plate through that, which'll tell you what size it is. What price the ex-owners are paying for gas and/or tank rental is irrelevant to you, because you'll sign up to your own contract.

LPG is only a little different to natural (mains) gas - there's a different jet needed for the cooker/boiler to use it.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Thanks - does that mean you can negotiate the tank rental cost as well as the gas price? I didn't know if that was more fixed.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 6th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 15,776 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I'm on an overground tank, and the rental is around the 17p/day mark from every single supplier so far. Underground - entirely different kettle of fish, of which I have no experience, sorry.
    • Jez1009
    • By Jez1009 6th Dec 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jez1009
    Underground Tank Rental
    £660 to fill suggests perhaps a 2000 litre tank (@c33ppl)?

Just renegotiating my 2 year LPG contract at the moment and Underground tank rental for me varies by supplier from £63 to £126 per annum if that helps. Like all things in the world of LPG it seems the cost is negotiable....
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 6th Dec 17, 4:04 PM
    • 705 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    ceh209
    Thank you everyone, if we get this house I will get my negotiating hat on!!
    • J B
    • By J B 6th Dec 17, 6:44 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    J B
    Thank you everyone, if we get this house I will get my negotiating hat on!!
    Originally posted by ceh209
    Maybe a read through some of this thread would help ... it's only just under 3000 messages!!
    • Bethmiss
    • By Bethmiss 8th Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bethmiss
    Hello All

I could do with some more advice please. Gas ordered Tues 28th Nov, confirmed price still at 28ppl. Note on account to say tank level below 15%. I think I actually said it was about 14%, and no special rush for delivery.

Gas delivered Tues 5th Dec. It's a 2000 litre tank, and is only ever filled to max of 85%. We couldn't have used more than 10% in a week, so it couldn't have been empty. According to (very faint) JGas delivery note tank held 1756L, and is full at 85%. Can somebody please tell me how that is possible? Thank you very much. If I'm being dense about this, then I'm sorry. Other people I've asked calculate this the same way I do, but they're not familiar with LPG.
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 8th Dec 17, 3:33 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    mcmullank
    Hello All

I could do with some more advice please. Gas ordered Tues 28th Nov, confirmed price still at 28ppl. Note on account to say tank level below 15%. I think I actually said it was about 14%, and no special rush for delivery.

Gas delivered Tues 5th Dec. It's a 2000 litre tank, and is only ever filled to max of 85%. We couldn't have used more than 10% in a week, so it couldn't have been empty. According to (very faint) JGas delivery note tank held 1756L, and is full at 85%. Can somebody please tell me how that is possible? Thank you very much. If I'm being dense about this, then I'm sorry. Other people I've asked calculate this the same way I do, but they're not familiar with LPG.
    Originally posted by Bethmiss
    There are a few things here:
    1. LPG is a gas and what you get delivered is a liquid. The conversion between the two is dependent on temperature and pressure and the standard is based on 15°C and 101.3kPa. Therefore the actual number of litres that you have delivered will normally be charged based on these standards. It does mean that with a 2000ltr tank, you may have a variance of 50 litres just based on the temperature when you get your delivery.
    2. The percentage gauges are not that accurate. In fact I have the same size tank as yourself and have received a delivery of 1876 litres into the tank and it has shown 85%! It also wasn't completely empty when filled.
    3. A 2000 litre tank is normally able to take a maximum of 2200 litres which is how i could receive the delivery mentioned previously.

Hope this helps.
    • Bethmiss
    • By Bethmiss 8th Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Bethmiss
    Huge help thank you mcmullank. I knew temperature came into it, and now I also understand why Del Note has corrected to 15 degrees C on it.
    Previous largest fill was 1634L and that was a long time ago.

I'll wait with interest to see if JGas man comes back with such an easily understood explanation!
    • longforgotten
    • By longforgotten 13th Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    longforgotten
    8ppl increase by Countrywide
    Received the letter today from Countrywide putting their price up by 8ppl

Anyone else received the same letter !?
    • Poundnote
    • By Poundnote 15th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Poundnote
    I have a 2,200 litre tank with Calor and they will fill the tank until it registers full on their delivery meter.
    The delivery note will show "full"
    Full is deemed to be 87% of the tank capacity.
    This equates to a full tank holding 2200 x 87% = 1,914 Litres.
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 16th Dec 17, 12:22 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    JerryW
    Expansion
    Yes, my tank according to its rating label is 2230l capacity. Do look at yours, it will tell you the age of the tank as well. In 20 years, the most I have ever had supplied is 1860l.
    I can't help thinking there is room for some shenanigans, here .. it is funny how the temperature adjustment always, without fail, results in more being charged for than was actually supplied. And who knows how accurate the supply metering really is? Still, although the sales people are usually sharks who will say anything, the various engineers I have dealt with were good, efficient and knowledgeable. So most likely supply is all above board
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Dec 17, 1:09 PM
    • 15,776 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I can't help thinking there is room for some shenanigans, here .. it is funny how the temperature adjustment always, without fail, results in more being charged for than was actually supplied. And who knows how accurate the supply metering really is?
    Originally posted by JerryW
    It's all automatic, built into the truck's delivery equipment. Sure, it could be "wrongly" calibrated, but what you seem to be suggesting is widespread illegality...
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 16th Dec 17, 10:22 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    JerryW
    but what you seem to be suggesting is widespread illegality...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    .. selective quoting, aren't you? Did you miss the "the various engineers I have dealt with were good, efficient and knowledgeable. So most likely supply is all above board " bit?

Don't be so quick to jump down folks' throats
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 15,776 Posts
    • 14,076 Thanks
    AdrianC
    .. selective quoting, aren't you? Did you miss the "the various engineers I have dealt with were good, efficient and knowledgeable. So most likely supply is all above board " bit?
    Originally posted by JerryW
    And you clearly didn't bother to read the rest of my post.

The only way anything like your suggestion can happen, lame caveat or not, is if there is widespread systematic fraud in the "calibration" of the automatic delivery equipment on the trucks.
    • ScreamingDead
    • By ScreamingDead 17th Dec 17, 12:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    ScreamingDead
    I renewed my contract with Extra Fuel in September @ 31p per litre (an increase of 2p from the old contract). I've just gone to place an order and there is a note on the web site as follows.

NOTE: With immediate effect, your LPG rate will be surcharged by 5p per litre. We understand any increase will be unwelcome and we apologise. The cost of LPG has increased significantly in the last few months and although we have made every effort to reduce the impact of these increases to our customers we are unable to continue absorbing them alone. We will continue to closely monitor the market and will reduce the price when it is possible to do so.

Has anyone managed to negotiate their way out of this surcharge or are all LPG retailers adding a similar cost because of the wholesale price increase?
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 17th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Mister G
    I renewed my contract with Extra Fuel in September @ 31p per litre (an increase of 2p from the old contract). I've just gone to place an order and there is a note on the web site as follows.

Has anyone managed to negotiate their way out of this surcharge or are all LPG retailers adding a similar cost because of the wholesale price increase?
    Originally posted by ScreamingDead
    Mine certainly hasn't. See my post #2981 at the top of this page. It's been 30ppl for the past 2 1/2 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter