Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 147
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 1st Oct 17, 9:12 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    JerryW
    Hello all fellow LPG consumers,

... To be 100% honest with you though, alarm bells started ringing when I read a post regarding a comparison site being run by a FLOGAS director ?

Could someone please be kind enough to explain this to me ? ...
    Originally posted by Lpgnewbie
    Originally posted by LPG confused
    As I understand it he left Flogas to set up on his own account. He operates a "switch-and-save" website, LPG Save .. not dealt with them myself. For more explanation than that, you will have to be more clear about the reason for your alarm?! What he is doing appears to be similar to what Martin Lewis himself does..
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 1st Oct 17, 9:24 AM
    • 15,246 Posts
    • 13,579 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There has never been a Robert Flaxman appointed as a company director of Flogas Britain Ltd.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00993638/officers
    • LPG confused
    • By LPG confused 1st Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LPG confused
    [QUOTE][As I understand it he left Flogas to set up on his own account. He operates a "switch-and-save" website, LPG Save .. not dealt with them myself. For more explanation than that, you will have to be more clear about the reason for your alarm?! What he is doing appears to be similar to what Martin Lewis himself does../QUOTE]

Thank you Jerryw, 12 months ago I tried to switch suppliers not realising I was actually tied into a 24 month contract.
    I tried a number of LPG comparison sites and it seemed that LPG save only offered and dealt with Flogas whereas others provided alternative suppliers.
    Now that my 24 months is up I started reading this forum again and read the comments re the affiliation of LPG save and Flogas - made me nervous that's all
    Kind regards
    LPG confused
    • LPG confused
    • By LPG confused 1st Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LPG confused
    Hello
    This is what I came across
    Kind regards
    LPG confused

Flogas has appointed Graham Sargent as its new national accounts manager.
    Flogas boosts national accounts team
    Mr Sargent, who has been with the company for three years, will join the national accounts team, focusing on building the national customer base. He has ten years of sales experience at companies including Coca-Cola and Mars.

Robert Flaxman will take over Mr Sargent's previous role as national domestic sales manager. He joins the company from MacGas, formerly BP Gas, where he was bulk and cylinder sales manager for the North of England and Scotland and domestic bulk sales manager for the UK.

Mr Flaxman has more than 20 years' experience in the oil and gas industry where he held a number of senior sales positions including marketing and brand manager for Texaco and sales manager for Oracle Energy and Utilities.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 1st Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 15,246 Posts
    • 13,579 Thanks
    AdrianC
    So not a director of Flogas, just somebody who used to be in their sales team.
    • LPG confused
    • By LPG confused 1st Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LPG confused
    Yes national sales manager not a director as previously suggested.
    My concerns are still the affiliation with flogas (only sends you offers from flogas ?)
    • mcmullank
    • By mcmullank 1st Oct 17, 10:34 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    mcmullank
    So not a director of Flogas, just somebody who used to be in their sales team.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Regardless of whether the person being discussed was a board director of the company or not, the main crux of the point is valid.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 2nd Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 15,246 Posts
    • 13,579 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I think it's a very big difference.

Somebody who has been a director of the company could be seen to have much more conflict of interest than somebody who has merely been a member of the salesforce. Heck, I'd hope that anybody setting up any kind of comparison/switch website has a degree of industry experience...
    • LPG confused
    • By LPG confused 2nd Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LPG confused
    Hi Adrian , my point is that LPG save are not a comparison site as they only offer deals from one supplier , that being Flogas !

Flogas National domestic sales manager running an LPG comparison website ????
    • __stu
    • By __stu 3rd Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    __stu
    Have you tried other suppliers?
    I would not use that website its bias and unfair...tailors the best deals to Flogas!
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 3rd Oct 17, 9:32 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    JerryW
    Yes national sales manager not a director as previously suggested.
    My concerns are still the affiliation with flogas (only sends you offers from flogas ?)
    Originally posted by LPG confused
    Hmm, fair point .. and when you read the various "LPG Save" website pages, there is nothing at all to say who is approached, and how many .. could be just the one, I suppose. Has anyone here ever obtained an offer from this site?
    • babe-ruth
    • By babe-ruth 6th Oct 17, 9:19 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    babe-ruth
    What to do
    The running out of lpg never coincides with the end of my contract! I'm just out of 2 yr contract with Calor but I have enough to last till next summer. I want to bag a switch offer but do I do it now or next year? Crystal ball anyone?
    • __stu
    • By __stu 9th Oct 17, 9:58 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    __stu
    Try AvantiGas
    I am with AvantiGas try and see what quote you get below. Going straight to the supplier is better rather than brokers who can be very biased.
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 9th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Monthly LPG pricing for October advised by Woldlink at 30.95PPL + 5% VAT, up from 28.95PPL in September
    • The Stranger
    • By The Stranger 13th Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The Stranger
    After being ripped off by Calor (persistently over estimating my consumption and direct debit demands)for 12+ years on my bulk LPG I enquired with Northern Energy (01423 770 793) about changing my supplier.It's a family run firm and they couldn't be more helpful. Based on my gas consumption of around 1650 litres per year I now save a whopping great £110 per tank fill ,plus they pay the VAT on it. I'm based at Humberston N.E.Lincolnshire and get brilliant service and communication from them. It's the best move I ever made.
    • JerryW
    • By JerryW 15th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    JerryW
    After being ripped off by Calor (persistently over estimating my consumption and direct debit demands)for 12+ years on my bulk LPG I enquired with Northern Energy (01423 770 793) about changing my supplier.It's a family run firm and they couldn't be more helpful. Based on my gas consumption of around 1650 litres per year I now save a whopping great £110 per tank fill ,plus they pay the VAT on it. I'm based at Humberston N.E.Lincolnshire and get brilliant service and communication from them. It's the best move I ever made.
    Originally posted by The Stranger
    Well done for finding a friendly and helpful lpg supplier .. that makes two in total, by my count.
    Please will you tell us what they are charging you per litre?
    • armistice
    • By armistice 16th Oct 17, 5:05 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    armistice
    I'm also with Northern LPG , just received a 10 ppl price increase notice today, I'm on a fixed price until 2019. Not wanting to burst the bubble but they're not always helpful, friendly or live up to their promises.

LPG Price Increase Notification
    October 2017

Dear Customer,

As you are already aware, the prices for LPG are tracked on a regular basis, we follow the ANSI (Argus North Sea Index) price which dictates the supply price for LPG and this is now up at $550.

At the moment the price is rising due to product shortages caused by tropical storm Harvey in Texas which has closed four refineries and marine export terminals operated by Enterprise Products Partners LP, Targa Resources Inc. and Phillips 66, all suppliers of LPG, are shut because of closures at the Houston Ship Channel, Port of Beaumont and Port of Freeport.

A temporary price increase, as referred to in section 4 (c) of your supply agreement, of 10ppl will therefore be added to your unit price with immediate effect and shall remain in place until the ANSI price of LPG slips back below the increased level of 20%.

I appreciate this is unwelcomed news but unavoidable and I shall keep you up to date with any further price changes, should you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact a member of our team.
    • armistice
    • By armistice 16th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    armistice
    Is there anywhere online I can check ANSI prices (current and historic) to verify the above claim?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

695Posts Today

5,371Users online

Martin's Twitter