Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• The_Hornet
    The_Hornet Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I tend to agree! Although I haven't yet used Cardiff Gas I have had several phone calls with them and always found them a pleasure to deal with. Also they respond to emails when promised so that's another plus. Add the fact they are consistently among the cheapest quotes and I reckon they are worth a look.
  • drfrot
    drfrot Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The_Hornet wrote: »
    Add the fact they are consistently among the cheapest quotes and I reckon they are worth a look.

They really are. I would urge anyone in their catchment area (which is surprisingly large, crossing over the bridge too) to get on it asap.

Small family business, personable, reliable, cheap, responsive to drops in bulk prices, no contracts to sign... what more could you want?

:)
  • bry54
    bry54 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I suggest everyone with this problem writes to the Office for Fair Trading - - as tank siting and changing 'regulations' (in reality UKLPG's Codes of Practice - which you can buy for £24) is a barrier to switching. And, as we know (see ), the OFT is keen to make switching easier for bulk LPG users.

Once Calor have moved the tank ,I intend to send Countrywide an invoice for the cost of the new base and the resiting of the tank , I've nothing to lose.
  • VBN_2
    VBN_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi

Need a little help. I've just moved into a house that is on a Calor Gas metered estate. The charges are 51p + VAT per litre and 16.44p daily standing charge.

The meter is ft3.

When I moved in the meter reading was

Its now reading 806755

Not sure how many of the digits are relevant I left out the very last one so I've either used

Any idea what the calcs are to get it to litres consumed?

Thanks
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 May 2012 at 11:47PM
    VBN wrote: »
    <snip>

Any idea what the calcs are to get it to litres consumed?

Welcome to the forum!

This is the document (from the UKLPG - trade association) with the conversion factor you need:

http://www.uklpg.org/uploads/DOC4D42ED7E85FFF.pdf
    For metric meters (measurement in m3)
    1m3 vapour = 3.85 litres liquid

For imperial meters (measurement in ft3)
    1 cu ft vapour = 0.109 litres of liquid
    Thanks for the info on prices!
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    806755 - 802499 = 4256 cubic feet consumed.
    with LVs conversion info:
    4256x0.109=463.9 lts

465 lts@0.51=£236.60ish +VAT @5%=£248.43ish

At least that's how I calculated it!!

You haven't said over what period the consumption was? Does this consumption price sound about right?
  • PeaterG
    PeaterG Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2012 at 2:44PM
    Hi guys,

I just spoke to BP Gas and although their price per litre was very expensive the lady i spoke to Jeanette was very helpful.

First port of call (following her advice) was uklpg.org and I put in my postcode - it magically returned a list of local suppliers with contact details. I will be working my way through the list as soon as possible!

Jeanette's other advice was to ask about 4 very important factors.
    1. is VAT (@5%) included or not in the quote?
    2. Are delivery charges included or additional?
    3. Will the proposed supplier take ownership of the existing tank - are there any incurred chaarges for the end consumer?
    and finally, probably most importantly;
    4. What price protection is in the contract?
    (For a 2 year supply contract BP Gas guarantee not to put up the price by more than 2.5p per litre in any 6 months).

I will post back when I have more info - I wonder am I allowed to post quotations from the various suppliers on here?

Best Regards,

Pete
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    PeaterG welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will find this forum as invaluable as I have.

Quote away if you wish

I am currently on 49p per litre plus vat from Countrywide, + £12.50 + vat for tank rental.
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    PeaterG

Welcome to the forum.

Beware helpful people in the lpg industry!! Look very carefully at your quoted contract and read back through this thread about the slight of hand tactics that lpg suppliers are capable of.

Also, do not take your initial quote at face value, you have to negotiate hard with these companies or they will screw you. No such thing as loyalty in this market!

It would be most helpful to other forum users if you told us the prices being quoted along with all the 'bits' price 'cap' minimum top up/usage etc.

Good luck in your quest and remember, fight dirty!!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback