Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molokoid
    • By molokoid 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 14Thanks
    molokoid
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?
    • 29th Jun 08, 5:46 PM
    Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route? 29th Jun 08 at 5:46 PM
    Hi all,

Moved into a house in Jan that has a bulk LPG tank, which was previously supplied (and the tank is owned by) Calor. The contract they were really keen for me to sign was quite a restrictive lock in one and after speaking and a bit of negotiating they dropped the standing charge and discounted the pence per litre by 12%. This only made me sceptical that they had a lot of fat in the price anyway and there seems to be limited information available on the net about bulk lpg supply (lots of websites that will find you the cheapest supply for a fee!). Seems to be crying out for a MSE article if there are enough bulk lpg owners out there.

Anyway, i read that there is some sort of regulation coming into the market which allows me to choose the supplier i wish and in turn they buy the tank off the previous owners. This seems to be a more market competitive way of doing it, but i can't find out when this is due to happen.

Are there any bulk lpg owners out there that can give me some advice?

TIA
Page 145
    • By 155695 21st Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    I've signed up with Flogas via LPG Save. Probably are some get out clauses but that is better than being exposed to a 13% increase the minute the fixed element of the contract expires without any warning or reason, as with Avanti.

Ran it past Woldlink before I signed up and they were genuinely very surprised at Flogas and I think words will be had. They said in the current climate it was too good an offer to miss.
    • longforgotten
    • By longforgotten 28th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    longforgotten
    What's happening with Countrywide Farmers ?
    Word is Countrywide are looking for a buyer, could be Mole Valley Farmers or Wynnstays.........the other word is CWF is going bust !

I'm buying LPG from them so I wonder what will happen next.
    • thozza
    • By thozza 28th Apr 17, 11:08 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    thozza
    https://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/Blog

"Countrywide therefore announces today that it has appointed advisors PwC to explore a potential sale of the Retail business. The Retail business consists of 53 Country Stores supported by a field sales team and back office teams enabled by the newly implemented Multichannel/ERP system. It is not anticipated that the Rural Energy - LPG or Turf and Amenity businesses will be impacted by this decision."
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 4th May 17, 6:39 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Monthly LPG pricing for May. The Woldlink price has been confirmed at 26.99ppl + 5% VAT, down from 27.78 in April.
    • Lpgnewbie
    • By Lpgnewbie 23rd May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Lpgnewbie
    Interesting development in my search for cheaper gas.

When I started researching the market a couple of moths ago, I contacted a couple of potential gas sources, one of which was LPG Save. Anyway, I didn't hear back from them so assumed they weren't interested and contacted Woldlink.

Well this morning I received a letter from LPG Save and they provided a quote for 31.5ppl fixed for 12 months with a maximum 5ppl increase for the last 12 months, plus £150 free gas on changing over. What is interesting is that the quote comes from Flogas who would be the actual supplier. As most of you know, Woldlink use Flogas as their supplier and the price quoted is some 3.5ppl cheaper than Woldlink.

It appears that LPG Save is an "independant" broker run by a chap called Robert Flaxman. He admits that he receives a "small switch fee from your new supplier", which I suppose is fair enough - no one works for nothing.

So I'm now in a bit of a quandary, on the one hand I like Woldlink's transparent and honest approach but on the other I don't think I can ignore the savings offered. The next move will therefore be to give Woldlink a ring on Tuesday and see what they say.

Anyone any views on LPG Save?
    Originally posted by Essexuser
    Hi
    FYI - One of the Sales Directors for Flogas was a Robert Flaxman - maybe one and the same ?
    • LittleVermin
    • By LittleVermin 23rd May 17, 9:19 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    LittleVermin
    2+2=4
    Yes, it seems to be the same man.
    I hope that helps. Always pleased we can shine a little light in the fog of the LPG 'market'!

He's on LinkedIn here

[BTW, when Woldlink was charging its customers 20ppl, Flogas - its sole supplier - was charging Woldlink 14ppl. We know this because a Woldlink person let it slip during a conversation with a forum user (who shall remain anonymous!). So even at Woldlink's prices there's a little bit of fat ... which is where RF comes in, I guess].

Hi
    FYI - One of the Sales Directors for Flogas was a Robert Flaxman - maybe one and the same ?
    Originally posted by Lpgnewbie
    Interesting development in my search for cheaper gas.

When I started researching the market a couple of moths ago, I contacted a couple of potential gas sources, one of which was LPG Save. Anyway, I didn't hear back from them so assumed they weren't interested and contacted Woldlink.

Well this morning I received a letter from LPG Save and they provided a quote for 31.5ppl fixed for 12 months with a maximum 5ppl increase for the last 12 months, plus £150 free gas on changing over. What is interesting is that the quote comes from Flogas who would be the actual supplier. As most of you know, Woldlink use Flogas as their supplier and the price quoted is some 3.5ppl cheaper than Woldlink.

It appears that LPG Save is an "independant" broker run by a chap called Robert Flaxman. He admits that he receives a "small switch fee from your new supplier", which I suppose is fair enough - no one works for nothing.

So I'm now in a bit of a quandary, on the one hand I like Woldlink's transparent and honest approach but on the other I don't think I can ignore the savings offered. The next move will therefore be to give Woldlink a ring on Tuesday and see what they say.

Anyone any views on LPG Save?
    Originally posted by Essexuser
    Last edited by LittleVermin; 23-05-2017 at 9:25 PM. Reason: Extra para: "[BTW....]
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 23rd May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Mister G
    Just refilled with HBS, 1000l at 30ppl.

That's now 2 years at the same price.
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 6th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bobmac62
    Bulk LPG pricing for June 2017
    Monthly LPG pricing for June. The Woldlink price has been confirmed at 25.55ppl + 5% VAT, down from 26.99ppl in May
    • John7676
    • By John7676 10th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    John7676
    Having got lots of valuable info from this forum in the past I have decided to make my own contribution. Just been offered 33p/litre for 1st year plus £250 credit from Calor to which my existing supplier (Flogas) has responded with a reduction from 37.5p/litre to 32.5p/litre but no credit! Are prices falling?
    • kazzy45
    • By kazzy45 21st Jun 17, 5:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kazzy45
    Does anyone know how to get out of a contract where the prices charged are 10ppl dearer than they are offering new customers. ( 43ppl versus 33ppl for new customers plus credits applied to the account) The supplier is Calor by the way. Seems we are all being ripped off!
    • Essexuser
    • By Essexuser 22nd Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Essexuser
    Par for the course I'm afraid. You need to carefully read the Ts&Cs of your contract but it's unlikely you can do much about it apart from leave at the end of the contract. I would however ring and write to them setting out your displeasure and telling them you will definitely be leaving as soon as you are contractually able. You never know.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Jun 17, 8:32 AM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Does anyone know how to get out of a contract where the prices charged are 10ppl dearer than they are offering new customers. ( 43ppl versus 33ppl for new customers plus credits applied to the account) The supplier is Calor by the way. Seems we are all being ripped off!
    Originally posted by kazzy45
    That's the drawback of a two-year tie-in, and why you need to shop around before signing up. If it's any consolation, they aren't somehow taking the mick out of you personally - that would have been a very uncompetitive price when you signed the contract, too...

My experience and quotes in August 2015... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=68962414&highlight=adrianc+2015#2 527
    (read the next few posts for follow-ups, including a massive counter-offer from Calor when we put the move form in...)
    • bobmac62
    • By bobmac62 4th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    bobmac62
    BULK LPG PRICING FOR JULY 2017

New pricing from Woldlink advised as 24.63PPL +5% VAT, down slightly from 25.55PPL in June.
    • __stu
    • By __stu 5th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    __stu
    AvantiGas
    I live on mains gas but it would be ideal to see what AvantiGas has to offer
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I live on mains gas but it would be ideal to see what AvantiGas has to offer
    Originally posted by __stu
    Mains will be a LOT cheaper and much lower hassle.
    • collectors
    • By collectors 6th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    collectors
    Woldlink: What a nice bunch of guys & girls.
    Just a nice note for Woldlink: What a nice bunch of guys & girls at your office's. I was looking to change my supplier, but unfortunately they couldn't help because of contractual reasons of who i was with. (Their supplier) But they had the time to give me good & easy to understand advise & what felt like good honest answers. Very refreshing Woldlink. And without the cliche, i will be back. I like this sort of company & hope they do well.
    • __stu
    • By __stu 6th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    __stu
    You should try AvantiGas
    Yes that's true. Keep us updated on the prices you all get.
    • Essexuser
    • By Essexuser 8th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Essexuser
    Avanti Gas
    I urge to read post 2831 and the associated posts before going anywhere near Avanti Gas.
    • NeilJ66
    • By NeilJ66 22nd Jul 17, 10:37 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    NeilJ66
    My 2 year contract with Flogas is up for renewal and I've got prices from the usual suspects. This is for a holiday home in North Wales and we've been doing a lot of building work over the past couple of years, this coupled with the holiday home aspect means we're a low user at around 1000 litres per annum. Prices based on this estimated usage came back as follows:
    Calor: 34ppl for first 12 months, variable thereafter, with £250 free gas on switching. Standing charge £63.07 per annum.
    Flogas: 37.5ppl for first 12 months, variable thereafter and no free gas. This was their best offer after I mentioned the Calor offer above to them. Standing charge £62.84 per annum.
    Avanti: 42ppl for first 12 months, variable thereafter. Standing charge £110.00 per annum.
    LPG Save (Robert Flaxman): No response apart from an automated reply saying my quote will be issued within 3 hours of receipt, this is despite an e mail chasing it up.
    Woldlink: Very helpful on the phone but explained that as they use Flogas for deliveries they would be unable to quote as I'm currently with Flogas. I would sign up with them without a second thought if I could, so the first thing I need to do is drop Flogas. Not difficult based on the above!
    If I continue to use 1000 litres per annum and can arrange a tank fill just prior to the 12 month anniversary date, I can get 2000 litres off Calor at 34ppl. With the £250 credit taken into account that would mean an effective price of 21.5ppl. That would of course be relying on Calor's 'fixed' price staying fixed, as we know there are get out clauses in these 'fixed' price deals. Going with Calor would also then give me the option of talking to Woldlink in a couple of years so that looks the likely option for me this time round.
    Hope this helps!
    Regards
    Neil
    Last edited by NeilJ66; 22-07-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Added further info
    • KevSimmonds
    • By KevSimmonds 27th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KevSimmonds
    New to LPG
    Hi there

Moving house this weekend, need to source a supplier so all advice appreciated please. Points to note:-

• Live in Saddleworth east of Mcr if that's relevant
    • Brand new to LPG so no experience of suppliers
    • Need to know what minimum contract, single purchase etc as may only be in property for 6-8 months
    Over to you kind folk
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin