What does the child support letter say?

What does the first letter from the child maintenance agency say when a claim is made against you?

Me and my ex partners family based arrangement is not working out as she is disputing the amount. She said she has made a direct pay application which will be on its way.

What will the letter say exactly and what will it expect me to do in return? Also how long will this take to come through?

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You write claim made against you as if the NRP is some sort of criminal!
    Basically you will recieve a brown envelope with a booklet and a maintainance enquiry form (MEF) to complete, complete the form and include the previous 2 months wage slips.
    The above is for CSA 2 however CMS may differ slightly.
    You can go online to seek the 'correct' amount so there should be little disagreement , eg you are more likely to be on the CMS /CSA3 scheme which your childs PWC will have to apply for subject to a fee, assuming you have one child then the 'correct' amount is 12% gross for one child , 15% gross for 2 and 19% gross for 3 or more.

So for example if you were on minimum wage then £31 per week, average wage £61 per week based on one child. There are certain exemptions eg full time student prisoner etc where the assement may be lower or nil.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure