MoneySaving Poll: Is your energy company's service any good?

Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 11 May 2015 at 4:11PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 11 May 2015

Is your energy company's service any good?

Please rate your current supplier’s SERVICE (not price) over the last SIX MONTHS (or less if you’ve recently switched). If you’ve gas and electricity with different firms, please vote for both.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Moireach
    Moireach Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As I've said on the Zog thread, so far they've been great.

Price: Cheapest when I joined 6 months ago (neck and neck with Daligas) and since then they've dropped their prices 13% so I switched to their newer tariff and committed myself so an additional 6 months. When I saw their willingness to drop prices in line with wholesale prices I had no hesitation in doing so.

Customer Service: All correspondance is by email which is very convenient and far superior to reliance on call centres (with a baby I wasn't very free after work before Npower closed). My monthly statements are much easier to understand than Npower's and it's great being able to access them all in my emails whenever I want instead of constantly signing in to Npower's website (I'm sure the vast majority of suppliers require you to sign in to access them). Furthermore the correspondance by email has been very personal and helpful so all in all it's a full house even in the customer service department.

Time will tell now whether they keep it up as they inevitably grow!
  • priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I voted Co-op Energy as 'poor' but this is far too generous. If the boxes were there, I would have voted 2 levels lower.

I started my switch to them on 7 January and it still isn't complete. They eventually passed a closing gas reading to my old supplier about 2 weeks ago, but the reading was way off, despite Co-op having sent a meter reader within 2 days of my alleged switch date.

I've recently received my first statement from them. If they hadn't made an error elsewhere in the account, their estimated gas reading would have generated a bill of nearly £5000 for my first 10 weeks!

Their communications range from non-existent to totally incompetent. I've had 3 instances where I've called them and they haven't been able to give me any information at all as their systems had crashed.

They do not have the skill or resources to be operating in the energy market.

Counting down the days until my switch to another company is completed ...
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 May 2015 at 5:06PM
    I recently submitted my readings online to Co-op and, surprisingly, received a statement based on those readings within a few days. So nothing to complain about and got an OK from me.

I accept that the process is probably automated and, strictly speaking, doesn't involve customer services, per se. Perhaps their IT system has recently improved. Let's hope so.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • misselvis
    misselvis Posts: 285 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion
    Have been really disappointed by Co-op. There was not much communication during the switch regarding time frames but they managed to take their first payment swiftly enough which I am looking to query as I require confirmation re meter reading. Looking forward to my next switch which cannot come soon enough.
    misselvis proud and in motion - dealing with her debts step by step :)DFW #107
    challenge pay off 6.5k by the end of 2017~ £388/£6500 challenge 1% challenge = 6% of debt cleared; challenge - build up 3 months emergency fund- £0/£6000
  • There wasn't a terrible catagory which is what I'd have wanted for Scottish Power, who have at least been consistent in their dreadful customer service in a problem that they've not been able to resolve in almost a year....

I (hopefully) switched 2 months ago to Co-op - had a welcome email then, but heard nothing since & each email I've sent has been ignored apart from one which asked for my details (which were on that email :D) before they could process my query. That was a few weeks ago....

Hoping I'm still stuck somewhere in the automated system & when they complete the switch & I start talking to real people it will all improve.

Just what is so difficult about switching & billing customers correctly :rotfl:
    & as for some happy ending I'd rather stay single & thin :D

• DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Service levels are ok they provide electricity and gas and I pay the bill, they are cheap however and don't send a meter man and expect me to do it instead, which I don't.
  • Consumerist
    DKLS wrote: »
    Service levels are ok they provide electricity and gas and I pay the bill, they are cheap however and don't send a meter man and expect me to do it instead, which I don't.
    If neither you nor they take regular meter readings then be aware that you may be storing up problems for the future. My advice would be to take your own readings and submit them regularly, whether they ask for them or not.
  • Marie27lol
    Marie27lol Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

I am just about to change supplier, and thought of using GB Energy Supply, as they appeared to be the cheapest at the moment. And then I saw this feedback, so thought I would post a query.

There was a technical issue with accepting bank info, so they should they would call me back = ummmm.

Anyway the number they said they would call from appears legit.. BUT

When digging into this company further, it appears the director Luke Watson, has been involved in a number of companies over the years - dissolved, closed, liquidated.... (Source: www.duedil.com)

Has anyone heard of him or this current company, and how well they are doing?

Cheers
    M
  • Consumerist
    They are a newcomer to the market so information is scant.

There is a(n) <MSE feedback thread> which may help but if you are of a nervous disposition, you might prefer to wait a year or two before taking your chances. That is my strategy with newcomers.

It has to be said that their Premium Energy Saver (variable) does seem very cheap. One has to wonder how long it will be before prices rise. There being no early-termination charges, you might feel it's worth a chance but how difficult it may be to move away if the going gets rough has yet to be tested.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure