Finished Work Pragramme

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    an adviser that tries to help isnt much better coz they cant really help. in the end they end up doing the same as the bad advisers and send you on a stupid course. they just do it nicely. the best jc adviser is the one that leaves you alone but is happy to answer any queries you may have on occasion. no weekly signing, no hassle, just sign here and see you later.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    an adviser that tries to help isnt much better coz they cant really help. in the end they end up doing the same as the bad advisers and send you on a stupid course. they just do it nicely. the best jc adviser is the one that leaves you alone but is happy to answer any queries you may have on occasion. no weekly signing, no hassle, just sign here and see you later.

Those that want to work would be best advised to do exactly the opposite of what you suggest ;)
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    tomtontom wrote: »
    Those that want to work would be best advised to do exactly the opposite of what you suggest ;)

It's nothing to do with whether you want a job. my point is even if the adviser has the correct intentions it still boils down to the same thing, a load of hassle.
  • an adviser that tries to help isnt much better coz they cant really help. in the end they end up doing the same as the bad advisers and send you on a stupid course. they just do it nicely. the best jc adviser is the one that leaves you alone but is happy to answer any queries you may have on occasion. no weekly signing, no hassle, just sign here and see you later.
    tomtontom wrote: »

No, if you want a want a job it's better if the advisor leaves you to get on with things. That way they're not wasting loads of your time or bothering you or making you feel anxious or being mean or anything else bad.

If you want a job last thing you need is the hassle of someone sending you on courses, making you apply for stupid positions or anything else and you can actually get on and apply for plenty of suitable jobs.

Advisors don't help. Those that pretend to help or like to feel like they're helping never are because all they can is do more things to waste your time and annoy you. The job centre isn't there to get you a job, just to make sure you're looking. So an advisor that checks that and does nothing more unless asked a question is best.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    For me, it was the same after as it was before. Had some questions, had to apply for jobs but they weren't really bothered.

For some, they have to sign on daily. Some have horrible advisors who apply for a stupid number of jobs and/or just make signing on really horrible.

However, if you don't have a horrible advisor you should be fine. They'll ask some questions, make sure you're applying for jobs and so on. They may set a target for the number of jobs to apply for but nothing stupid.

All depends who your advisor is. So try not to worry about it as chances are it'll all be for nothing.

How long ago was this?I was told I had to either sign daily or work full time for 6 months for my jobseekers.I chose the daily signing at least I get a bus pass. OP Please let us know how you got on.
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The work coaches aren't there to waste your time or annoy you.

They're there to check your meeting the conditionality of the benefit your claiming, remove any barriers that are preventing you moving closer to work.

Like it or not, all jobs come with rules that the employees must comply with, so the days of 'not giving you hassle' are long gone. If you choose to claim a benefit, you have to comply with the conditionality of that benefit.
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    geminilady wrote: »
    How long ago was this?I was told I had to either sign daily or work full time for 6 months for my jobseekers.I chose the daily signing at least I get a bus pass. OP Please let us know how you got on.

Roughly 7 months ago.

Signing on daily was a possibility. That would have been a very stupid move though as I believe they'd have had to pay travel back and that would have cost them a fortune lol. It was never mentioned though when I went back to the JC after the WP. I don't remember the JC mentioning it previously either, but they may have done.

For the whole time I was signing on, through 2 job programmes, I kept hearing/being told about having to work full time for jobseekers soon as that was the new thing coming in. Never happened. JC never mentioned anything of the sort. Although one of them programmes did involve volunteering daily, but wasn't full time hours (was about 25 hours a week).
  • Flyonthewall
    pebbles88 wrote: »
    The work coaches aren't there to waste your time or annoy you.

In my experience, yes, they are. They did a very good job at it too! For a start, I really enjoyed the 45 min-1hr15 trip to get to the job centre instead of the 10-15min trip I'd had previously because "the other JC has just decided they don't want people anymore". Obviously then still had the trip home. Plus I had to walk all the way across town rather than a few steps out of the carpark and into the Job Centre as before.

I also really enjoyed paying the extremely expensive carpark tickets too instead of the free parking by my previous job centre, not to mention the extra petrol costs.

Course, I could have taken the bus but it costs the same and I'd have had to allow 2 hours to get there and possibly still been late on occassion.

I could go on and on and on about all the things they did, but it'd end up as a book it'd be that long.
    They're there to check your meeting the conditionality of the benefit your claiming, remove any barriers that are preventing you moving closer to work.

Like it or not, all jobs come with rules that the employees must comply with, so the days of 'not giving you hassle' are long gone. If you choose to claim a benefit, you have to comply with the conditionality of that benefit.

I'll agree with the first bit. Removing barriers...not really. Very little they can do (and they don't always bother doing what they can do. e.g. looking at CVS).

I saw one advisor once making sure this guy wanted to go to a job and telling him he didn't have to if he didn't want to. The guy had already said yes when she first asked. Not only did she waste his time going on, she was wasting it trying to convince him not to go!

So even if they have job interviews or placements or whatever you may still have to climb over the barrier because they're not moving it.

There are times when there's no need to give you hassle. You've applied for jobs, maybe even had/got an interview and because they've nothing to say they start trying to get you to do a "course" which involves spending a day at a place staring at a book or someone going on and on about something you know already.

It's got nothing to do with rules for the jobs.
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm fully aware of what has to be done for the job, I do it daily
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • Flyonthewall
    pebbles88 wrote: »
    I'm fully aware of what has to be done for the job, I do it daily

Wait, when you said all jobs come with rules for employees did you mean the jobs you advertise and hassle to jobseekers to be sure they're suitable and follow rules you're given for them? Or you as an employee for the job centre have rules?

I took it as the first. In which case, not heard of any rules being given, it's just who is suitable for that type of work. If the second, I know a lot have been ordering staff to do things (e.g. sanction more) and they have certain rules to follow (e.g. work programme after so long).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure