Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • confusedmummy
    • By confusedmummy 13th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 118Thanks
    confusedmummy
    How to replace lost share certificate cheaply?
    • 13th Sep 17, 4:47 PM
    How to replace lost share certificate cheaply? 13th Sep 17 at 4:47 PM
    Is there a cheap way to replace a lost share certificate? I have just phoned one of the companies that I have shares in and they have told me I need to pay £65 to replace a certificate. Are there any alternative methods to replacing?

I presume I will need the share certificates if I ever want to sell my holding?
Page 1
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 13th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 4,130 Posts
    • 3,633 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    you can only get a replacement certificate from the company's registrar. i suppose you could try haggling about the price, but i doubt that will work.

you can't sell without the certificate - unless there happens to be a take-over of the company, or a capital reorganization in which everybody is issued with new certificates. in those events, you would generally receive cash proceeds, or a new certificate, without needing to produce the old certificate.
    • Robie
    • By Robie 13th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Robie
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    I am in the similar position to confusedmummy. I have somehow lost some of my certificates due to house move, etc. but I have been quoted stupid money. Basically, if I go for replacement certificate, I don't make any money selling the shares. This is so stupid.

Edit: So, all I am doing at the moment is getting the dividend because selling is not an option at all.
    Last edited by Robie; 13-09-2017 at 7:08 PM.
    Save £8k in 2013, Num 046, £5000/£8000 (received £2000 unexpectedly from someone)
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 13th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 13th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    I am in the similar position to confusedmummy. I have somehow lost some of my certificates due to house move, etc. but I have been quoted stupid money. Basically, if I go for replacement certificate, I don't make any money selling the shares.
    Originally posted by Robie
    I 'lost' a certificate due to a house move, I seem to recall it cost me £80

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,587Posts Today

8,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin