Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 618Posts
    • 481Thanks
    Hattie625
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa 22nd Jun 17 at 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 18 or above (edited to correct age limit; previously incorrectly stated to be 16)

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).

EDITED TO ADD (28 JULY, FURTHER EDITED 6 AUGUST)

Before applying online to open this account, please be aware that the online opening process can be slow and it may be several weeks before you are in a position to fully operate the account (That said, my account was up and running within 2-3 weeks of initial application; while this is certainly slower than other savings account offerings, it was not undue and worth the wait).

PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:-

To withdraw funds from the account to another (non Ulster Bank) account, you require an Ulster Bank Anytime Banking card, a PIN for that card and a card reader. You need to apply for a card reader online (it will not be automatically sent). You should apply as soon as you have online access to the account. According to the Ulster Bank information for this account, an Anytime Banking card and PIN will automatically be sent to you when you apply for a card reader. However some people on this thread are reporting unacceptable delays in receiving the card, PIN or card reader, or UB denying that an online order was made. (Note:- if you have the card and PIN, it has been reported on this thread that a card reader issued by another bank will work to enable you to withdraw funds from this account). It has also been reported that you can use the Ulster Bank mobile phone app to withdraw (up to) £250 per day to another account without requiring the card, card reader and PIN. It is suggested that you do not rely on this but follow the commonsense rule which follows in bold lettering DO NOT LODGE FUNDS INTO THIS ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE CARD, PIN AND A CARD READER AS IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WITHDRAW FUNDS (BEYOND £250 PER DAY AFTER THE INCONVENIENCE OF DOWNLOADING AND USING THE MOBILE PHONE APP) UNTIL YOU HAVE THESE.
    Last edited by Hattie625; 06-08-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Page 2
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Jun 17, 9:44 AM
    • 8,792 Posts
    • 7,469 Thanks
    colsten
    Great, but I bet if I transfer my money, they'll drop the rate, just like West Brom BS have!
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Just don't do it then. Thanks ;-)

Does anyone know if Ulster Bank uses Faster Payments for transfers out of the account?
    Originally posted by fwor
    It's FP in and out. You need to have a debit card or an Anytime Internet Banking card (and one of those interchangeable card readers) to set up a payee. Daily withdrawal limit is £20k, where Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday form part of the next working day.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 25th Jun 17, 10:28 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    IanManc
    It's FP in and out. You need to have a debit card or an Anytime Internet Banking card (and one of those interchangeable card readers) to set up a payee. Daily withdrawal limit is £20k, where Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday form part of the next working day.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Do you know if an RBS debit card would work, or would it have to be an Ulster Bank debit card? I'm not sure if RBS-owned banks have systems that talk to each other, like Halifax and Bank of Scotland do. Thanks.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 25th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 8,792 Posts
    • 7,469 Thanks
    colsten
    I don't have an RBS card but my NatWest card doesn't work with Ulster Bank, and vice versa. I would think you need one from Ulster.
    • vouch0r
    • By vouch0r 25th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    vouch0r
    thanks slightly better than my coventry isa paying 1.1!

worth thinking about closing santander accounts as im sure they are equiv to about 1.25 with the fee added on?
    Last edited by vouch0r; 25-06-2017 at 5:57 PM.
    • buffman
    • By buffman 25th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    buffman

You need to have an Anytime Internet Banking card (and one of those interchangeable card readers) to set up a payee
    Originally posted by colsten
    I have ordered a card reader online. I could not see an option to order an Anytime Internet Banking Card. Do I receive this automatically or do I need to phone to order?
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 25th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 34,033 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    I have ordered a card reader online. I could not see an option to order an Anytime Internet Banking Card. Do I receive this automatically or do I need to phone to order?
    Originally posted by buffman
    "An Anytime Banking card and PIN will be automatically provided for use with the card reader if you do not have an existing Ulster Bank debit card"

http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/instant-access-accounts/eSavings.html
    • pavane
    • By pavane 25th Jun 17, 11:07 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    pavane
    Application filed, no ID verification in person at bank needed.
    • buffman
    • By buffman 26th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    buffman
    I have opened my account, paid money in, and viewed the deposit online.

I have now received an email asking me to upload photo ID (e.g. a photograph of my passport) before my account is up and running!. Has anyone else received this email?
    • derrick
    • By derrick 26th Jun 17, 4:31 PM
    • 6,946 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    derrick
    I have opened my account, paid money in, and viewed the deposit online.

I have now received an email asking me to upload photo ID (e.g. a photograph of my passport) before my account is up and running!. Has anyone else received this email?

I do not hold a photo driving licence and my passport is well out of date.
    I could not complete the online form on Friday due to this, spoke to someone this morning who said to wait 24 hours.

I have just received an email requesting photo ID to be uploaded, and have just called them,they are sending out a pack with some documentation to sign and return, do not need photo ID as I have been verified and they just need a signature and to ignore the email, at least that is what I have just been told.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• EdSwippet
    • By EdSwippet 26th Jun 17, 5:43 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    EdSwippet
    Has anyone else received this email?
    Yes. Also a letter requesting a certified paper copy of my passport and a recent bank statement. And unlike your case, my account is not up and running (or if it is then Ulster Bank has not bothered to pass on any of its details such as account number, online login, and so on to me!).

No idea whether supplying just the passport photo online will suffice. Also no idea why some folk go straight past all the KYC hurdles while others have to jump them. It all seems a bit random. Shrug.
    • buffman
    • By buffman 26th Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    buffman
    I have been told to ignore the email requesting me to upload some photo ID.
    • whats
    • By whats 26th Jun 17, 11:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    whats
    Applied Saturday. It said my passport number was wrong - even though I checked it 6 times.
    Waiting on manual checks. No email/calls yet.

If they use faster payments - even if they reduce to 1.1% I would relocate cash.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 27th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Mchambers
    I have been told to ignore the email requesting me to upload some photo ID.
    Been asked to send them online photo id proof (passport or driving license). Not sure why as I have never been asked for any photo id for any of my other accounts.

Do they actually require copies of my driving license or passport not the actual driving license or passport ? Can I also just supply them with my driving license number or passport number ? I may just phone them up to ask.
    • bugbyte
    • By bugbyte 27th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    bugbyte
    They didn't accept a UK driving licence, the two options were a European identity card and a passport. The Passport no is misleading, as it is the very long string of characters along the bottom line of the photo page not the 9 digit passport number at the top (although that is included in the long set of characters).
    Bed bugs represents you better than your signed name of bugbyte.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 27th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    Mchambers
    Hi all,

Spoken to UB and they have advised me to go to a local Nat West or RBS and they will scan my passport and bank statement to UB/
    • darren72
    • By darren72 27th Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    darren72
    Applied last night online - Didn't ask for any ID, but after completing step 4 it gave some very generic information. Saying if you have received your sort code and account number the account is open. That was it. No e-mails and nothing further.... ??

This was the page I got - http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/instant-access-accounts/eSavings/eSavingsApply/eSavings-applicationconfirmation.html

Is that normal ?
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 28th Jun 17, 6:20 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,594 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 16 or above.

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).
    Originally posted by Hattie625
    Thanks Hattie
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 Sept NSDs 4/15CCCChl 9/12 months
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 28th Jun 17, 6:31 AM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 1,370 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Applied last night online - Didn't ask for any ID, but after completing step 4 it gave some very generic information. Saying if you have received your sort code and account number the account is open. That was it. No e-mails and nothing further.... ??

This was the page I got - http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/instant-access-accounts/eSavings/eSavingsApply/eSavings-applicationconfirmation.html

Is that normal ?
    Originally posted by darren72
    Yep IME that's normal.

I was already an Ulster customer and received an internal message within their internet banking the next day to confirm the opening.

One thing I would watch out for for new applicants is the initial funding. As I funded straight away (from a Tescos account) only to see two days later (when the account had appeared on my online banking) that the payment had been bounced back.

I subsequently made another payment (two days after account opening) with the same details and it was safely received.
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 30th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 34,033 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Anyone received reader/card yet....How long did it take from opening ?
    • tg99
    • By tg99 30th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    tg99
    Anyone received reader/card yet....How long did it take from opening ?
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    Got mine 3-4 working days after opening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,832Posts Today

7,438Users online

Martin's Twitter