Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Rose
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5
    • 28th Feb 12, 4:40 PM
    PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5 28th Feb 12 at 4:40 PM

Hi all, this thread is for discussing the
    PPI Reclaiming
    article.

This is Part 5 of the discussion, as the last one was so long (read parts one, two, three and four). To discuss or ask a question about this article, click 'post reply'.

To read about non FOS claims read this thread.
    Report and read success stories in this thread

Please remember:

We're often quite laid back about discussion threads as this is a community after all.

I'm afraid in the case of the PPI Reclaiming thread we're really going to have to ask you to keep the discussion on topic though, so that people can find the relevant information quickly and easily.

If you do start making like-minded friends on here and would like to carry on chatting about what you did at the weekend/what you ate for dinner etc, that's fine, but the best way to do that is to go to our local pub the MoneySavers Arms where anything and everything is chatted about, start a thread there, then pop a link in here and suggest you all head over to there to chat.

Thanks,

MSE Rose
Page 3
    • The_Logans
    • By The_Logans 29th Feb 12, 10:23 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    The_Logans
    Anyone a numbers whizz?
    Hi folks,
    I've finally laid my hands on old statements so that I can get some detail on an old Clydesdale loan. I don't have a copy of the agreement, and they won't give me one.

The loan was for £2300 (July 2003).
    I made 22 repayments of £69.64
    I then repaid the loan early (Jun 2006) and the settlement figure was £2158.86, minus a £217.84 PPI rebate.

So, in total for a £2300 loan over 23 months I paid a total of £3473.10

I don't know what the term of the loan was, or the APR so I've no idea how much the PPI loan was. I'm guessing CB will come back and say they have no paperwork relating to the loan anymore, and will make a low offer.
    • icmelerlovers
    • By icmelerlovers 29th Feb 12, 10:43 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    icmelerlovers
    Halifax paid up
    Received offer on Monday , cheques came today
    For my loan ppi , well happy .
    And it's all down to the experts on here
    😃

Letter sent now for ppi on credit card .
    halifax loan ppi win £1607.15
    Halifax cc. Ppi win. £2.851.62
    everyones equal some more than others
  • dhurley28
    Liverpool Victoria
    Morning Experts

I took a loan for ~15k back in 2004/5 (exact date unknown) and of course took out the PPI as recommended by customer services. As I needed the monies ASAP, they informed my that removing this would reduce my chances and that my application would take longer to progress.

(The application was completed online, but called to confirm whether PPI would affect my application)

The loan was with Liverpool Victoria and as such the PPI premium was added to the loan amount and subject to Interest over the term

I originally took out the loan for 5 years (I think) but repaid 18 months early

I no longer have the paperwork having moved 4 months ago and the credit agreement would have been under my old address also

Should I complete a SAR (DPA) request to obtain my account number and details and then progress from there, or can I contact them with a claim in the first instance? And how would / should I progress given that my address has changed

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by dhurley28; 29-02-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Additional Information
  • meachy73
    Hi Everyone Not been on for a little while. I have two credit cards. One with Barclaycard and one with Capital One. If I remember right I took both these out round about 2002/2003 and it was applications in a magazine which I then posted. I think I ticked the PPI box (thinking that I wouldnt be accepted if I didnt) I didnt receive a follow up phone call, just a letter with my new card and advising of my credit limit. Whats the chances on claiming this back when it was me that ticked the box. I have been in arrears a few times with both of these and both are now still maxed out. Grateful for any replies. Thanks

PS I did have pre existing medical conditions at the time, but didnt think anything of this. I now know they would not pay out. (Back problems and post natal depression- 3 years on medicaiton)
    Last edited by meachy73; 29-02-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Further info
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 29th Feb 12, 11:45 AM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 7,658 Thanks
    beamerguy
    I ticked the box so that's their basis and that of the FOS for not upholding my claim. Tbh I only really took any notice when the PPI payment doubled one month, and then with all the publicity. I'm now hoping I haven't missed my appeal deadline with the FOS (Monday - I responded at about 9pm when I realised!) for it to go to the ombudsman. Haven't received any acknowledgement to my email back to the FOS as yet.
    Originally posted by MrsShazbat
    Hi, ok it is one thing that you ticked the box .... but .... did they contact you to fully explain the policy and to ensure it was suitable for your needs, were you given a "cool off" period, did they send you a copy of the policy, if you have the policy to check, in the event of a claim, would you be covered given your circumstances.

Contact them again if you feel they were not behaving in your best interests
    Last edited by beamerguy; 29-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 29th Feb 12, 11:47 AM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 7,658 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Hi Everyone Not been on for a little while. I have two credit cards. One with Barclaycard and one with Capital One. If I remember right I took both these out round about 2002/2003 and it was applications in a magazine which I then posted. I think I ticked the PPI box (thinking that I wouldnt be accepted if I didnt) I didnt receive a follow up phone call, just a letter with my new card and advising of my credit limit. Whats the chances on claiming this back when it was me that ticked the box. I have been in arrears a few times with both of these and both are now still maxed out. Grateful for any replies. Thanks
    Originally posted by meachy73
    Hi, as I have just said in my previous post above

It is one thing that you ticked the box .... but .... did they contact you to fully explain the policy and to ensure it was suitable for your needs, were you given a "cool off" period, did they send you a copy of the policy, if you have the policy to check, in the event of a claim, would you be covered given your circumstances.

Contact them again if you feel they were not behaving in your best interests

The same applies to you
    Last edited by beamerguy; 29-02-2012 at 12:13 PM.

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
  • kazzacake
    Hi Can you help?
    I had a loan with Natwest bank which is now paid off but i did default on payments can i still reclaim? also i still bank with them will this be a problem?

Thnaks
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 29th Feb 12, 12:11 PM
    • 5,950 Posts
    • 7,658 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Hi Can you help?
    I had a loan with Natwest bank which is now paid off but i did default on payments can i still reclaim? also i still bank with them will this be a problem?

Thnaks
    Originally posted by kazzacake
    yes you can claim if you had PPI.

They are not allowed to penalise you because you are claiming, if they try it must be reported to the FSA

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
  • debbie 1966
    a little help please
    Hi all been following this forum for a while and decided to give this ago but i need your help,i got my first mortgage with northern rock 24 years ago and was told at the time unlees i took there ppi with cardif pinnacle i could not have my loan even though i worked full tim and got paid on the sick i did what they said, then after 5years i moved to a bigger house and again took my mortgage with northern rock and still had the ppi running of the first mortgage as it was paid monthly direct debit, i stayed in this house 10 year till i got divorced and once again got another mortgage with northern rock and yes still paying ppi with cardif pinnacle which still today iam am paying for my question is because this ppi was linked to my first motgage which then it was mis sold and even though i am still paying it today but have had 2 mortgages since then how far can i go back sorry for this been so long but iam not sure if i can claim please help
  • cappo
    Hi all been following this forum for a while and decided to give this ago but i need your help,i got my first mortgage with northern rock 24 years ago and was told at the time unlees i took there ppi with cardif pinnacle i could not have my loan even though i worked full tim and got paid on the sick i did what they said, then after 5years i moved to a bigger house and again took my mortgage with northern rock and still had the ppi running of the first mortgage as it was paid monthly direct debit, i stayed in this house 10 year till i got divorced and once again got another mortgage with northern rock and yes still paying ppi with cardif pinnacle which still today iam am paying for my question is because this ppi was linked to my first motgage which then it was mis sold and even though i am still paying it today but have had 2 mortgages since then how far can i go back sorry for this been so long but iam not sure if i can claim please help
    Originally posted by debbie 1966

Hi Debbie and Welcome, i know you can claim back as far as the beginning of an account (i.e loan) if your account is still active I'm assuming the same applies to a mortgage so i see no reason why you can't go right back to the beginning with the first mortgage, especially seeing as it's with the same lender/broker.
  • cappo
    Morning Experts

I took a loan for ~15k back in 2004/5 (exact date unknown) and of course took out the PPI as recommended by customer services. As I needed the monies ASAP, they informed my that removing this would reduce my chances and that my application would take longer to progress.

(The application was completed online, but called to confirm whether PPI would affect my application)

The loan was with Liverpool Victoria and as such the PPI premium was added to the loan amount and subject to Interest over the term

I originally took out the loan for 5 years (I think) but repaid 18 months early

I no longer have the paperwork having moved 4 months ago and the credit agreement would have been under my old address also

Should I complete a SAR (DPA) request to obtain my account number and details and then progress from there, or can I contact them with a claim in the first instance? And how would / should I progress given that my address has changed

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by dhurley28

Hi d contact LV who should be able to find you on there systems quote your old address, you might be able to do this complaint over the phone.
  • paintpotter
    Hi All,

Just received a letter from Santander regarding an old Debenhams Storecard I had several years ago. They have stated there was a policy called Accident Cover insurance. This was set up on your account after a discussion that took place on the telephone with their telemarketing department in February 2002.

This was clearly shown on the statements when a balance was outstanding and could have been cancelled. In this view cannot find no evidence of the mis-selling of this insurance.

They have referred me to a Finance and Leasing Association.

Any ideas what I can do now?
  • debbie 1966
    thank you cappo will give it a try as 24 years of paying this policy and i dont even need it but i wont cancell it till i have wrote to northern rock thanks again
  • cappo
    thank you cappo will give it a try as 24 years of paying this policy and i dont even need it but i wont cancell it till i have wrote to northern rock thanks again
    Originally posted by debbie 1966

Hi Debbie deffo leave cancelling it as northern rock would have to restructure your mortgage unless the ppi shows and is taken separetly it would be definitely best to leave this to northern rock to cancel, assuming you win misold of course
  • cappo
    Hi All,

Just received a letter from Santander regarding an old Debenhams Storecard I had several years ago. They have stated there was a policy called Accident Cover insurance. This was set up on your account after a discussion that took place on the telephone with their telemarketing department in February 2002.

This was clearly shown on the statements when a balance was outstanding and could have been cancelled. In this view cannot find no evidence of the mis-selling of this insurance.

They have referred me to a Finance and Leasing Association.

Any ideas what I can do now?
    Originally posted by paintpotter

Hi, see what the FLA say presumably this was before debenhams storecards were regulated by the FSA so the FOS probably could'nt get involved but a call to them would'nt hurt
    • sonofnesbit
    • By sonofnesbit 29th Feb 12, 12:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    sonofnesbit
    default claim
    Hi all,
    Ok, so I took out a loan a few years ago with PPI, I now want to reclaim this. I am in arrears regarding my loan, I reached a reduced payment plan with the company so I would assume that the PPI is invalid now anyway. The reason for the post is that I have been told that if I reclaim then anything owed to me will go straight to the loan company to pay off some of the arrears, I dont want it to, as I have other things I could pay with it, rather than them, as I have an agreement with them.
  • cappo
    Hi all,
    Ok, so I took out a loan a few years ago with PPI, I now want to reclaim this. I am in arrears regarding my loan, I reached a reduced payment plan with the company so I would assume that the PPI is invalid now anyway. The reason for the post is that I have been told that if I reclaim then anything owed to me will go straight to the loan company to pay off some of the arrears, I dont want it to, as I have other things I could pay with it, rather than them, as I have an agreement with them.
    Originally posted by sonofnesbit

Hi Nesbit i know what your saying and your right the ppi is now useless to you anyway, my understanding is though that the interest would be yours which might still come to a few quid and yes the main part of any redress would go to help settle your payment arrangement, it would come off your debt though and bring it down which could'nt be a bad thing.
    Last edited by cappo; 29-02-2012 at 1:12 PM. Reason: abbreviation
  • odd socks
    Hi everyone

I put seven PPI claims in, i have received money back for five
    all these claims were put in in May of last year, all thanks to this thread, so if you are still waiting hang in there and i wish you all the luck

I received a letter from the fos today regarding a PPi claim with barclays, barclays originally sent me a letter stating that i could not go to the fos and that my claim had been rejected due to no miss selling findings . I then got the fos involved anyway on the 7th january 2012. The letter i received today from the fos that i have won my case and i have to send back a letter of acceptance to the fos so that they can forward it on to barclays. I am amazed at how quick this was sorted and so happy with the fos for sorting this out for me

The problem i have got now is that i have still got a PPi claim in with Lloyds that they have rejected i sent them a letter asking them to reconsider their decision that was january of this year, I rang them today to see what was happening and they have asked me to send them my original loan policy which i do not have, i have only got a loan agreement for a loan that i had after this which shows the loan previous on it, could i send this as proof or is there another way around this, i would appreciate any help on this as i am a bit stuck now as what to do next

I wish you all luck with your claims and i have got my fingers crossed for all of you.

Hang on in there
  • peaty
    Hi all,
    My husband and I had a credit card with MBNA for several years - this was defaulted in approx 2005, which arranged a payment plan with them and finally paid this off completely last month (yay!).
    When we defaulted we noticed that we were paying for PPI - we asked that this be cancelled, which it wasn't immediately, when they eventually did cancel it they offered us a goodwill gesture of some of the previous payments made. This was not what we have paid in ppi payments for all the years we had the card -so would it be possible to claim the other payments back?
    Many thanks!
  • cappo
    Hi all,
    My husband and I had a credit card with MBNA for several years - this was defaulted in approx 2005, which arranged a payment plan with them and finally paid this off completely last month (yay!).
    When we defaulted we noticed that we were paying for PPI - we asked that this be cancelled, which it wasn't immediately, when they eventually did cancel it they offered us a goodwill gesture of some of the previous payments made. This was not what we have paid in ppi payments for all the years we had the card -so would it be possible to claim the other payments back?
    Many thanks!
    Originally posted by peaty

Don't see why not peaty if you have reasons for a misold put a claim in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,429Posts Today

7,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin