Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scotslad
    • By scotslad 20th Jan 12, 2:44 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 13Thanks
    scotslad
    Capital Bank PLC
    • 20th Jan 12, 2:44 PM
    Capital Bank PLC 20th Jan 12 at 2:44 PM
    I an trying to reclaim PPI from a car finance from Capital Bank PLC from 1998.

Am I correct in thinking they are now part of HBOS. ?

I tried calling the HBOS PPI Claim line but its an overseas call centre and trying to explain what capital bank is was a nightmare.

The call centre did not even know what hire purchase meant and could not understand what car finance meant.

Whats my next step ??
Page 1
    • amersall
    • By amersall 20th Jan 12, 9:21 PM
    • 16,675 Posts
    • 18,720 Thanks
    amersall
    • 20th Jan 12, 9:21 PM
    • 20th Jan 12, 9:21 PM
    Were these who you contacted?.

http://www.bankofscotland.co.uk/contactus/howtocomplain/complain-about-ppi/

Just give the account number,if they have your details they will tell you.

• CrystalJulie
    • 25th Jan 12, 1:19 PM
    • 25th Jan 12, 1:19 PM
    Hi there

They are part of HBOS/LLoyds Banking Group. I am also attempting to claim for the same thing.

Good Luck
  • parkview2
    • 24th Sep 13, 5:08 PM
    • 24th Sep 13, 5:08 PM
    More info on Capital Bank. I called their number, found from a Google search (0845 7023488) on a website and got through to a very helpful guy at Blackhorse. He searched through several databases for me, but couldnt find my loan number with Capital Bank. He explained that some accounts from Capital Bank had gone to Blackhorse and some to Halifax/HBOS. (The car finance ones seem to be with Blackhorse). He gave me the number for HBOS (0845 7243444) and although it seemed to be a call centre the person answering understood the complexity of my query and found my loan by its reference number. However her info was limited so she then transferred me back to a UK number and they found all my details. Hope that helps someone!. And it definitely isnt the same company as Capital One. It also seems that their database doesnt really distinguish the difference between HBOS loans and Capital Bank loans.
    • picky123
    • By picky123 24th Sep 13, 7:56 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    picky123
    • 24th Sep 13, 7:56 PM
    • 24th Sep 13, 7:56 PM
    I an trying to reclaim PPI from a car finance from Capital Bank PLC from 1998.
    Originally posted by scotslad
    If this was through a dealer then pre regulation,(2005) so no chance on this, dont waste your time, or lose any sleep
    • LostShepherd
    • By LostShepherd 1st May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LostShepherd
    • 1st May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 1st May 17, 6:01 PM
    Hi,

Just wondering if there was ever any luck on this one? I had a car loan in late 2004 via dealer with Capital Bank Plc, pretty big one too think the final tally was 21k or there abouts! I have all the bank statements with some sort of initial setup number included, but no policy docs. Where could I ring to try and find copies or chase it up?

Thanks,
    LS
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 1st May 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1st May 17, 6:44 PM
    I suggest you read post #5.
    The fact that the post is from 2013 hasn't made the likelihood of success any brighter, I'm afraid.
    • LostShepherd
    • By LostShepherd 1st May 17, 10:04 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LostShepherd
    • 1st May 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1st May 17, 10:04 PM
    I am travelling hopefully I guess, I may ask the dealer, they are still there, who knows they might have something!
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd May 17, 3:25 AM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 2nd May 17, 3:25 AM
    • 2nd May 17, 3:25 AM
    I am travelling hopefully I guess, I may ask the dealer, they are still there, who knows they might have something!
    Originally posted by LostShepherd
    Pre-2005, the dealer does not even have to consider any complaint. As I said, read post #5.
    • LostShepherd
    • By LostShepherd 2nd May 17, 8:29 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LostShepherd
    We as I said I'm travelling hopefully ��

Dealer potentially has a copy of the documentation for me so it's something at least, forgive me if I don't take post #5 as the be all and end all, a little persistence surely won't hurt.
    Last edited by LostShepherd; 02-05-2017 at 8:34 AM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd May 17, 12:18 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Dealer potentially has a copy of the documentation for me so it's something at least, forgive me if I don't take post #5 as the be all and end all, a little persistence surely won't hurt.
    A copy of documentation won't force them somehow to consider a complaint. 2004 is pre-regulation of general insurance and the car dealer will just dismiss your complaint. You will then have no access to the Ombudsman.

By all means ignore post # 5, but that won't net you a refund, I'm afraid.

Enjoy your travels..
    • LostShepherd
    • By LostShepherd 2nd May 17, 5:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    LostShepherd
    Don't worry I will ignoring any know it all negativity along the way
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 2nd May 17, 6:17 PM
    • 89,518 Posts
    • 54,967 Thanks
    dunstonh
    It isn't about negativity. It is about being factually correct.

Insurance regulation started in January 2005. So, any sale made before January 2005 does not have to be considered by the firm unless they were a member of an earlier body. This is why the banks have to consider earlier complaints.

However, car dealers had no previous body. So, they can and do reject PPI complaints sold prior to regulation as being pre-regulation. You will have no access to the FOS either as they can only be referred to if it is a regulated sale.

If the car dealer was acting as a representative of the lender (which can happen with some in-house financing - i.e. same brand finance company to car manufacturer) then these often have to consider pre-regulation complaints as the lender were members of an earlier body.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd May 17, 11:24 PM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Good idea. Complain regardless. Why ask the forum if you are proceeding anyhow?

The thread was started in 2012 and no one at all has returned to report any success.

By all means ignore such "negativity".
    • derrh2
    • By derrh2 23rd May 17, 3:15 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    derrh2
    capital bank ppi
    Hi ive recently remembered that i had car finince with capital bank i have a referance number it was set up in dec 2006 not sure if i have ppi with that as i have no paperwork is it worth ringing black horse as i know some were transferred to them
    • DragonDancer
    • By DragonDancer 14th Sep 17, 1:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DragonDancer
    Car Finance directly with Capital Bank
    Hi,
    I have just been reading through this thread, as the first loan that I ever took out was for car finance, but was directly from Capital Bank back in Aug 1993 for a private car sale. I have no details of the loan itself, and all bank statements from that time have long been destroyed. Would this come under the 2005 regulations?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Sep 17, 1:34 AM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    the first loan that I ever took out was for car finance, but was directly from Capital Bank back in Aug 1993 for a private car sale. I have no details of the loan itself, and all bank statements from that time have long been destroyed. Would this come under the 2005 regulations?
    Originally posted by DragonDancer
    Certainly the Bank would already have been regulated for Insurance sales in 1993 but, a quarter century on, do you really expect there to still be any records of this long ago loan? Do you even know for sure that you purchased PPI?

I very much doubt you'll be able to progress this...
    • DragonDancer
    • By DragonDancer 22nd Sep 17, 1:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DragonDancer
    I know for certain that I took out PPI, as I was told that I would not be able to get the loan if I didn't. Finding out later that this was untrue, I have never taken PPI out on any credit since.

I agree that it is highly unlikely that I have a chance of claiming after all this time, which is a shame because it was most definitely mis-sold.

Many thanks for your time.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 22nd Sep 17, 1:19 AM
    • 19,304 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I was told that I would not be able to get the loan if I didn't.
    Originally posted by DragonDancer
    One of the weakest complaint reasons, this, because it's not something you can present any documentary evidence of. The passage of time is also against you; why did you not complain when you found out years ago that the insurance was not compulsory?

Regardless, 24 years on, the chances of there still being any records at all of this finance are very slim indeed.
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 22-09-2017 at 1:23 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,261Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin