CTF discussion area

1525354555658»

Comments

• elfmay
    elfmay Posts: 18,716 Forumite
    Plz help! I'm really out of my depth here. :o

I have received a statement from my daughters account recently and its currently lost almost £400 this yr! Since this any savings she gets is currently going into my ISA until i decide what to do with her account. (She'll get them back honest! ;):D ) Now I know scant all about stocks/stakeholder/shares etc (can you tell!? :rolleyes: ), so need advice asap! From glancing through this thread and looking around a little, it seems the concensus is to leave it as it may recover some of the money back later on? If so is this a good account to leave it invested in? Iv read about Child Mutual and Foreign and Colonial and was thinking about moving it to one of those? Would be very grateful for advice on this......
    I need someone really bad! Are you really bad?
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    I don't know much about this, but you need to start by looking at the fund that your money is invested in. I think the Scottish Friendly would invest in the Scottish Friendly Managed Growth Fund. Have a look here - you can see that it has taken a plunge so that explains why the money has gone down
    http://www.citywire.co.uk/adviser/fund-and-fund-manager-performance/-/unit-trusts/balanced-managed/fund-factsheet.aspx?FundID=9378&CitywireClassSchemeID=1&CitywireClassID=27

But any investment in shares will have done a similar thing. I've got my daughter's CTF invested in the Children's Mutual in a fund that tracks the FTSE 100, and that has lost money too.
    http://www.citywire.co.uk/adviser/fund-and-fund-manager-performance/-/unit-trusts/uk-all-companies/fund-factsheet.aspx?FundID=10080&CitywireClassSchemeID=1&CitywireClassID=9

The first thing you need to decide is are you happy for the money to be invested in the stock market, which means the potential for bigger growth & also bigger losses, or do you want it in a savings account, where you will know exactly what interest you are receiving. Once you've decided that, you can start looking at what the different CTF providers are offering. If you decide you want to move to a cash savings account, since you've already got the money invested in the stock market, you will need to decide whether you think now is a good time to take the money out of shares or whether you want to wait and see if the stock market recovers.
  • How old is the info on here? What are the best accounts on these now? I see that since the recession a lot of the accounts are in the minus figures and would not want to lose my childs investment.:eek:
  • Can't find how to post a new thread, so I will add it using the quick reply......sorry

Would like some help please….interest rates

My 10 month old grandson has a CTF with the Abbey, just straight savings account, mum has had a letter from Abbey explaining that they are closing their CTF and transferring it to Family Investments.

My daughter-in-law asked me to have a look to see if there are any better interest rates out there. Family Investments will be paying the same rate as the Abbey .25%, yet when I do a search with Google he could get, for example 2.85% with the Earl Shilton Building Society, there were others all with better rates than Family Investments

With such a difference in rates I’m wondering am I missing something. Have I read something wrong?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated……………
  • magan
    magan Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I just opened a stakeholder CTF account, and after giving my little one's cheque, I was left with nothing, dh is convinced I am supposed to get some kind of receipt. But I was told at the bank that you don't receive any kind of receipt/book/paper...etc. only a confirmation letter that will be sent on the post?

Just checking if that is the norm, is a bit weird to give a cheque to the bank and don't get a receipt for it.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    magan wrote: »
    I just opened a stakeholder CTF account, and after giving my little one's cheque, I was left with nothing, dh is convinced I am supposed to get some kind of receipt. But I was told at the bank that you don't receive any kind of receipt/book/paper...etc. only a confirmation letter that will be sent on the post?

Just checking if that is the norm, is a bit weird to give a cheque to the bank and don't get a receipt for it.
    I think hubby might be being a bit paranoid. By 'cheque' I assume you mean the Government voucher, if this is the case then it is only attributable to your child and I would expect you to receive an opening statment in the near future.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • MSE's full CTF guide has beenupdated today, and a new discussion started here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=24735095#post24735095

So I'm closing this one - please feel free to carry on at the new place!
    Former MSE team member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport