Decent helmet camera?

Options

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    How would a camera have helped to get a reg? If she stopped then you could have her reg on paper or a phone, if she didn't you're still relying on the camera actually focusing on her plate (and how do you hope the camera would prove her drunk driving)?

I have been hit by cars twice and neither would have been aided by a camera, one perhaps I could have avoided if I had guessed the car would turn across the road into me, the other when a car pulled out of a roundabout exit into me as I was passing. I had the driver details in both circumstances.

I have nothing against cameras but they're extremely rarely needed for a few mile commute and much more commonly used by angry people who want to police the road, who capture bad driving that doesn't affect them, shout the license plate out and then cycle and have an argument with the driver then post it on youtube. Focus on safe defensive cycling not relying on the camera to create some sort of bubble - all it will capture is the way you point it so anything else is missed
    Just wondering how the mileage makes a difference here?

If you only do a few miles you'll not need a cam but if you do a few miles more then you may/will??
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had an accident whilst commuting. Driver denied responsibility and it turned into a drawn out fight. It worked out okay because a driver behind me kindly stopped, waited and insisted on giving his details to the police. I had some pain for months and two broken fingers but lost a lot of confidence and bought a garmin virb. I've used it on my helmet to commute for about 18 months now.

I rarely watch the footage and its even rarer to do anything with it. I've posted 3 clips to youtube in that time and deleted one of them after getting an apologetic email from the company in question. I had emailed the company to tell them the clip was there.

I emailed the police about one incident, where I had a terrible overtake from a van which cut in front of me and the van hadn't paid their VED. Their response was to say their systems can't view youtube, could I come in to make a statement. By this time I had calmed down and decided not to bother.

Where it does help if at all is modifying people's behaviour. People often change their minds about an overtake when they see the camera for instance. I recently had a woman in the passenger seat of a sports car who intended to throw a bottle top at me and stopped when she saw the camera. 10 metres down the road she threw it at a parked car instead.

I get a roughly equal response from a small number of van drivers, where they either peep at me or give me the thumbs up. I'm not clear why, but I take it as disapproval/approval.

Oh and finally, if your adrenaline is up, sometimes because of an earlier incident, it can be easy to overreact. What the camera also does is let me see that some overtakes or incidents weren't as bad as I thought they were at the time.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wondering how the mileage makes a difference here?

If you only do a few miles you'll not need a cam but if you do a few miles more then you may/will??

A short ride for a new, nervous, casual rider looking to get fit isn't likely to involve them taking possible risks (like going through on amber) or be cycling at speed (giving more stopping time), being clipped in and potentially not even on the road (the original post doesn't mention the route), I'd imagine not riding into a busy city on the roads during rush hour either. The post also talks about only doing it in summer (I'm guessing they would also not ride in heavy rain) so good visibility also reduces the risk.

On a longer ride I do there is a dual carriageway - 40mph - where I can go down at 30+, I nearly got taken out by a car coming out of a slip road - that would have been very nasty impact going down tarmac while clipped in - can't imagine a casual rider doing that.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    I had an accident whilst commuting. Driver denied responsibility and it turned into a drawn out fight. It worked out okay because a driver behind me kindly stopped, waited and insisted on giving his details to the police. I had some pain for months and two broken fingers but lost a lot of confidence and bought a garmin virb. I've used it on my helmet to commute for about 18 months now.

I rarely watch the footage and its even rarer to do anything with it. I've posted 3 clips to youtube in that time and deleted one of them after getting an apologetic email from the company in question. I had emailed the company to tell them the clip was there.

I emailed the police about one incident, where I had a terrible overtake from a van which cut in front of me and the van hadn't paid their VED. Their response was to say their systems can't view youtube, could I come in to make a statement. By this time I had calmed down and decided not to bother.

Where it does help if at all is modifying people's behaviour. People often change their minds about an overtake when they see the camera for instance. I recently had a woman in the passenger seat of a sports car who intended to throw a bottle top at me and stopped when she saw the camera. 10 metres down the road she threw it at a parked car instead.

I get a roughly equal response from a small number of van drivers, where they either peep at me or give me the thumbs up. I'm not clear why, but I take it as disapproval/approval.

Oh and finally, if your adrenaline is up, sometimes because of an earlier incident, it can be easy to overreact. What the camera also does is let me see that some overtakes or incidents weren't as bad as I thought they were at the time.

Google Dave Sherry to see the sort of problem with helmet cams

There are all sorts of things modifying cyclists behaviour. A male researcher found cars would give him more space passing if he wore a long blonde pony tail that made him look female from behind. Cars go closer to bikes where the rider has a helmet. Unless you stopped and asked that passenger about her behaviour that's nothing more than correlation
  • amygill1990
    Options
    I had a Sony action camera, which I find a lot easier to use than go pro's, and a lot cheaper.

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/hdr-as20

I'd thoroughly recommend it, I used to mount it on the top of my helmet whilst skiing and have some great shots and videos!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How would a camera have helped to get a reg?

Cameras can take photographic images. I could have used the technology to capture an image of the registration plate.
    If she stopped then you could have her reg on paper or a phone...

I was too badly injured to write anything. And I was in extreme shock. I also trusted the driver when she gave me what she claimed was her business card.
    I have been hit by cars twice and neither would have been aided by a camera...

Well, if they didn't help you in those two situations, then clearly they won't help anyone ever. They should be illegal, since they're obviously not fit for purpose.
    I have nothing against cameras...

Come on -- pull the other one! :rotfl:
    ... but they're extremely rarely needed for a few mile commute and much more commonly used by angry people who want to police the road, who capture bad driving that doesn't affect them, shout the license plate out and then cycle and have an argument with the driver then post it on youtube.

How did you conduct this survey? Where did you get your figures from?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Google Dave Sherry to see the sort of problem with helmet cams

There are all sorts of things modifying cyclists behaviour. A male researcher found cars would give him more space passing if he wore a long blonde pony tail that made him look female from behind. Cars go closer to bikes where the rider has a helmet. Unless you stopped and asked that passenger about her behaviour that's nothing more than correlation

I'm not sure why you are trying to pick holes and throw in additional irrelevant facts. I'm happy with my helmetcam and have explained why - which is all I need. Equally you can be happy without one.

I'm aware that helmets are controversial and may increase risks - but I always wear one, largely to please my family. Again my choice, my head, my life.

The car passed me on a downhill stretch in town, where I was close to 30mph, revving in a low gear. The woman pulled her arm back - we looked at each other and she hesitated. Then a short distance down the road she threw a plastic screw on bottle top at a parked car.

I think she hesitated because she saw the camera and didn't want to get caught. Equally it may be that it was our eye contact which made her hesitate. Eye contact is one of the most powerful weapons a cyclist has. It forces people to recognise you are a human being and not just an object in their way - that they can project all the crap in their life onto.
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    I too am looking for one, the other day I got knocked off and it cost me a new wheel. Thankfully the other driver owned up and paid for it but it got me thinking what if he didnt? I really dont like the idea of a go pro on the helmet due to the size so was thinking of one of those telescope ones on the side of the helmet with continuous loop recording facility. Does anyone know of one anywhere which fits the bill?
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Freebyman wrote: »
    I too am looking for one, the other day I got knocked off and it cost me a new wheel. Thankfully the other driver owned up and paid for it but it got me thinking what if he didnt? I really dont like the idea of a go pro on the helmet due to the size so was thinking of one of those telescope ones on the side of the helmet with continuous loop recording facility. Does anyone know of one anywhere which fits the bill?

Firstly, hope you're ok and just the bike that was damaged?

It sounds like you're thinking of a drift camera:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drift-Innovation-Stealth-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B00MCWWL0G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490537683&sr=8-3&keywords=drift+ghost

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Camera-Photo/Drift-Innovation-Waterproof-Sports-Action/B00GJRCPRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490537683&sr=8-1&keywords=drift+ghost

Sony's action cameras are also more of a cylindrical design:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HDR-AS50-Waterproof-Housing-SteadyShot/dp/B01A8QRVBQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490537762&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+action+cam

As I mentioned earlier, the GoPro session is a lot smaller than a normal GoPro and you can use adhesive mounts to put it to the side:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/oncirrus/3/image/product/zoom/6NZgT7bdhN/CI5msisRyU/gophero-session-lpf-0-low-profile-helmet-swivel-mount-piu2-19557727.jpg
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »

Yes thankfully Im ok, but the rear wheel and parcel rack werent!

Really like the look of the drift stealth 2 camera and if it has continuous loop recording (just emailed the manufacturer to double check) then its the one for me. Thanks for your help, nice to know that someone out there knows there stuff!
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts