Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• I was delayed by 6 hours at Gatwick airport flying to Glasgow. Easyjet have admitted responsibility and said it was their technical fault with the plane.

I really needed to get back to Glasgow because I had tickets for the Commonwealth Games. I feared I'd miss this so told the ground staff at Gatwick. They suggested either I waited for the technical fault to be fixed OR I can try another airport or airline to get back to Glasgow quicker. The ground staff advised me because of the nature of the delay I was due a full refund of my return ticket and compensation of 250 Euros.

I therefore, decided to leave Gatwick and travel across London to Luton where I bought another flight and traveled back to Glasgow. I later found out the Gatwick flight eventually took off and landed before I landed from Luton. Typical!

I have made an official application to the airline for compensation and a refund. Easyjet have written to me to say they will refund me the flight but because I chose to take another flight and leave the airport I am NOT entitled to compensation. This is not advised in the literature they gave me nor was it advised by their ground staff at the time. Do I have the right to appeal? Who would I need to contact if I do ? Any advice would be gratefully received.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Probably no compensation due under 261/2004 regulation. But go to the Easyjet thread first.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bumped for benefit of newbies that can't be bothered to scroll down page.....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • I was delayed by 6 hours at Gatwick airport flying to Glasgow. Easyjet have admitted responsibility and said it was their technical fault with the plane.

I really needed to get back to Glasgow because I had tickets for the Commonwealth Games. I feared I'd miss this so told the ground staff at Gatwick. They suggested either I waited for the technical fault to be fixed OR I can try another airport or airline to get back to Glasgow quicker. The ground staff advised me because of the nature of the delay I was due a full refund of my return ticket and compensation of 250 Euros.

I therefore, decided to leave Gatwick and travel across London to Luton where I bought another flight and traveled back to Glasgow. I later found out the Gatwick flight eventually took off and landed before I landed from Luton. Typical!

I have made an official application to the airline for compensation and a refund. Easyjet have written to me to say they will refund me the flight but because I chose to take another flight and leave the airport I am NOT entitled to compensation. This is not advised in the literature they gave me nor was it advised by their ground staff at the time. Do I have the right to appeal? Who would I need to contact if I do ? Any advice would be gratefully received.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    twisty_78 wrote: »
    Any advice would be gratefully received.

Read the FAQs so you understand the law. You can then see how your circumstances fit with the airline's legal obligations.
  • Hi David

I am having the same trouble with Easyjet as Twisty_78.

Do you mean this link for the FAQs ?

"MSE Official Insert:

This discussion thread is linked to from our Flight Delays Compensation guide. Please read that for full help."

If so, I am sorry but I cant find anything that makes references to "I chose to take another flight and leave the airport I am NOT entitled to compensation. " excuse used by Easyjet.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be wonderful.

I have read all 57 pages of the thread so I can assure you that I am not trying to cut corners !!

Cheers
    Betty
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2014 at 5:28PM
    Betty12345 wrote: »
    If so, I am sorry but I cant find anything that makes references to "I chose to take another flight and leave the airport I am NOT entitled to compensation. " excuse used by Easyjet.

Assuming the reason for the delay was within control you are entitled to compensation and refund if the flight was over 5 hours delayed....

from http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays?_ga=1.45367783.210571025.1372776504

What if my flight is delayed by five or more hours?

When the delay hits five hours, as well as costs for food, accommodation and other extras, you qualify for a refund of the ticket cost, no matter whose fault the problem was, if you decide not to travel. To also get compensation, the problem must be the airline's fault.

You can get a refund for a delayed flight if:

The flight departed from an EU airport, regardless of the airline, or you were on an EU airline that landed at an EU airport.
    Your flight departure is delayed by five hours or more and you decide not to travel.
    You will also receive a refund for any unused parts of your booking (for instance, the return flight), and a flight back to your departure airport if you’ve already completed part of your journey.
    Can I get both a refund and compensation?

Yes, you could be entitled to a lot of cash in some cases.

If you decide not to fly because the departure is delayed by over five hours, if it lands over three hours later than scheduled (instead of miraculously making up the time in the air), and it's the airline's fault, you can also claim for compensation, as well as a refund.

How late did your original flight eventually depart?
  • Please can someone advice, I travelled with my family on 27th july to turkey, we were delayed 1 hour due to a problem with the plane. 2 hours into the flight there was a burning smell so the pilot diverted to Venice at 9pm. We were moved to arrivals and hours later were told we would be put in a hotel. We arrived at the hotel at 2.15am and picked up again at 6.30am !!! Eventually set off at 10am and was given a £3 voucher for food, as it was an emergency plane from gatwick it hadnt been stocked with food so we had a small pringles and coffee which cameto £4 each. We got to our hotel at 5pm 16 hours later than we should have. Easyjet are saying we are not entitled to any compensation is this true or are we being fobbed off. Help please.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Julie_0306 wrote: »
    Help please.

Fobbed off! EasyJet thread should be read.
  • Thanks for the reply.

I was really confused by the FAQ page - sorry for my ignorance.

The original easyjet flight departure was at 23:50.

The problem was a broken light bulb according to the captain :-))

The easyjet re scheduled flight (same plane I believe) was at 13:30 next day.

So I travelled easyjet at 10:30.

easyjet approved the compensation then retracted and said no - "however as you chose to travel on an earlier flight and not on the delayed flight, this unfortunately means you are not eligible to claim for EU compensation."

Any thoughts ?

Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport