PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

I'm very aware that the old "Not Mentioning the T word" thread has kind of come to a halt. Some of our regulars had sad news and difficult situations recently and I thought maybe it was time for a fresh start? I don't want to offend anyone so if you think I'm out of order just say and I'll ask one of the board mods to merge this with the old thread (which is here if anyone wants to view it)

Anyway -

I like to think we will all be gardening soon - it's a sign spring is around the corner. Maybe quite a bit round the corner but on the way nevertheless.
My mum bought me a gardeners journal as part of my Christmas so I will be poring over that in a week or two. I suspect I planted quite a few things too late last year so I will follow the calendar in the journal and see how it goes.

Not much to report from my end. I'm trying to empty all the cupboards of tins and packets and start afresh. Maybe I won't quite empty them but I do need to get right to the back of the tin stash to see what curious items I have lurking there.

I ordered my cream charger so am awaiting that and I will be able to whip cream for Britain as soon as it arrives.
I bought a spare box of Kirkland belgian chocolate biscuits just in case I needed an emergency gift at Christmas - I didn't and now they are calling me every day. I must find a place to hide them where I can't hear their cries!
NO FARMS = NO FOOD

Comments

• jools27_2
    jools27_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Minnie I share your pain....there is a large tin of shortbread, assorted tubs of crabtree and evelyn cookies and a tin of choccie biscuits shouting "eat me" from the corner of the kitchen and nobody is helping them out!
    Tomorrow I must sort out the freezer and start cooking the contents, think I may find Lord Lucan buried in there under a ton of chicken breasts!
    RIP Iain
    13/11/63-22/12/12
  • As a newbie round her could someone pm me and tell me wat T means please?
    OP I am looking forward to spring and planting soon too, I live in the far north of Scotland so our season is a bit slower but Iv looked out my seeds and been getting out into the garden on mild days.:)
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    I'd like to join in please, I'm planting my fruit garden this weekend weather permitting 12 different fruit plants/bushes for scrummy pies when they're ready :)
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • Great idea scottishminnie...we all could do with a new fresh start...so on that note..we have ordered our seeds from dobies..and got free delivery too..saved us a £5..coz we ordered before february..
    Its currently very wet here..but am not bothered as we need the rain very much..otherwise we will be on drought order..and thats no good for our veggies,fruit bushes and trees..the pond looks like it might burst its banks though lol..
    I have to buy fern some new shoes for school..going to have a look on the clarks ebay outlet..see whats what..
    Ostaragirl..T stands for tough..
    love
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • Fresh start thread for a fresh new non smoker count me in :D
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ooh nice shiny new thread.
    Pic, you've given up, well done you! I'm very jealous (or should I say "well jel", apparently that's the new lingo if you want to be down with the kids :D).
    Life here is much the same. I planted my new rose bush a few weeks ago which has tidied up the front garden but now the compost has kind of exploded all over the slate. It's too cold or wet for me to care too much about though at the moment. I will need to get my strawberry pots sorted as they were attacked by the bin in the wind and one smashed. It needs a new pot and some tlc.
    I am also on the menu planning band wagon, I'm really keen to get our cupboards run down because the way they are laid out doesn 't work for me. There's too much stuff crammed in which can't be seen properly. I want it all gone, used up and then I can clean out the cupboards and get rid of things like batteries and screw drivers which have no business being in my tins cupboard anyway :o.
    I also want to use the fruit which is languishing in the bottom of the freezer.
    Home grown wise, I'm hoping for some edible plums and peaches this year. We had 2 of each last year so hope the trees are now coming into their own. We should get lots of pears. DH is going to put the veggies in his mums allotment which means I will be able to put flowers in my borders with the odd lettuce tucked here and there. I like flowers and we don't have enough space for veg now. We don't get enough light either and as next door have planted a mahoosive tree, we probably won't et any sun this year :(.
    Our oven died between Christmas and new year and DH was all for buying a new one. I managed to get the replacement part for £10.30 and got him to swap it over there and then. £500+ saved- phew!

ETA: I find the only way to shut those loud annoying biscuits up is to eat them. :D
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I used to be a sort of semi-regular on the old not-T thread, but I stopped reading over Christmas and never really came back. :o A new thread sounds good to me! :)

I'm currently trying to eat out of the freezer as much as possible as it's in desperate need of de-icing and I can't do anything about it until there's less stuff on the shelves. The problem I'm having is that nearly every item I take out gets cooked into something that makes more than one portion, so the excess goes back in to the freezer. :( I'll get there in the end, I swear! ;)

My garden really needs some attention as the tomato plants from last year are still sitting in their grow-bags: I didn't pick the last tomatoes until the end of November, and since then either the weather's been too unpleasant for gardening at weekends, or I've had an OU essay due which has had to take priority. As with the freezer, I will get there, hopefully before next year's plants need to go out.

Talking of which, I must spend an evening with a seed catalogue working out what I'm going to grow this year. Does anyone else find that a strangely satisfying way to spend a winter's evening?

PIC - very well done for being a non-smoker. :T:T:T
  • PIC..well done..you will have a bit more dosh in your pocket..

Well have done all the beds this morning..absolutely shattered now..hubby has made me a lovely cuppa and is insisting on cooking lunch..lovely man.
    At the moment we are eating out the freezer and cupboards..its great..i love it..just about everything is HM and lots of lovely veggies from the lotties have certainly kept us going..had an apricot crumble and cream last night for pudding..found it at bottom of a great pile of frozen puddings..everyone loved it..thankfully.

Have gone around the house this morning with a note book on things i would like to do on very little money
    1, get some lovely paisley print curtains for my bedroom,new lampshade and some of those lovely storage bags..laundry bags i think they are..just to tidy it up and brighten it up a bit..cream can get very boring lol...when i say new i mean new to me..otherwise..charity shop finds and ebay finds or i'll make them..

2, paint kitchen..not sure on colour..its currently moonlight white..very nice but not practical..so a nice soft colour or i really like the pale greens at the mo..remove a cupboard and put up 2 shelves in its place..reason for this..i can't bloody well reach the top shelf and i have all my jam making stuff on top of it and i have some absolutely gorgeous glassware(charity shop find £1 for the lot) and some very old china dishes and bowls..that i would love to have out..think its a waste of them leaving them in a cupboard where you can't see them or heaven forbid don't use them..
    And 2 new blinds..or some of those old styley cloth curtains..not sure what you call them but i have seen some gorgeous retro ones with fruit and veg on them ..i think they are beautiful..hubby not so sure..

3,Living Room..paper the 2 fireside walls and re-paint the other walls..thats all that room needs..

4,Sons room..total re-vamp here..paint,curtains,bedding,lampshade etc..but carboot season is not faraway so that will be my main source of stuff...

5, garden..remove conifers,willow and 2 wild cherries..plant new fruit trees..paint fences..extend chicken house and run...sort out wildlife part of garden...new roof for hubby's shed before it collapses...

Now is it possible to do on very little money..hmmm..i like a challenge and hopefully i will do it...

O and get lotties sorted and ready for this year..

Mission impossible..what do you think and hints or tips that can get me going and not spending anything..
    love
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I reckon you should be able to do most of that for little to no spend ftm. It's just a case of keeping your eyes and ears open. Bring up in conversation with people that you need to repaint rooms and they may well have paint that they want rid of.
    The shed roof I'm not so sure about, I think wood's quite expensive now. We've certainly noticed the price rising over the last few years. Thankfully, I don't think we need to buy any more as (I hope) we've done all of the wood type jobs. Depends if we need any when we do the landing ceiling I suppose.
    I need to get DH and his brother to do the ceiling and the hall but BiL is having a back op soon so I have no idea when he'll be fit enough. It'll have to wait until then though. He spurs DH into action really. Just as well because he's got his hall stairs and landing to be done too so the pair of them need to do that. Hopefully ours will be first as it's worse and smaller.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Spring is definitely around the corner, my daffodils are growing already, they are not only peeking out of the ground but they are about 5 inches tall!

The bank balance is much better than expected so not a bad day today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure